+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bedtime routines

Hey all,

We have a 6week old daughter whose just gone through the nasty growth spurt from hell phase! Now that she seems her normal self again we thought we'd start a bedtime routine.

I'm BF her on demand and it's still a bit all over the place as expected.

At the moment we aim to get her into bed when it gets dark...so she has a bath then feed then in bed by 830pm...a few times she's making a fuss so she's in and out of the cot and then around 10pm we're starting to try the dream feed thing. Anyway, it feels like a rather drawn out bedtime process and I'm wondering if we should start it earlier...

DH usually gets home from work at 6pm so it is nice if he can have some play and give her a bath while I cook dinner for us which is why we haven't set 7pm as bedtime yet but we are wondering if that would be a better idea.

TIA any tips would be great as we'd thought we may as we'll start easing DD into some kind of bedtime routine now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    To be honest, at that age I didn't worry about a set bedtime, but just doing what you're doing. I made sure they were fed, had a bath and at that age, I fed 2/3 of my kids to sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS is 12 weeks and we've been doing a 7pm bedtime for a few weeks now. I start it at 5pm and it involves a bath, feed, place in swaddle, cuddle, short feed, bed.

If DH isn't home for bath he swaddles and cuddles, I figure there is plenty of time on the weekend for him to have some more extended time with him, so for us this works well.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    To be honest, at that age I didn't worry about a set bedtime, but just doing what you're doing. I made sure they were fed, had a bath and at that age, I fed 2/3 of my kids to sleep.
    This ^^

We didn't start a bedtime routine until after 3 months as ds was quite unsettled in the evening so we just did what we could early on. I wouldn't worry about focusing on a set bedtime as such but more of a ritual...ie. play feed bath bed for example.

My ds started off going to bed around 10-11pm, then around 4-5 months started going to bed around 8-9pm which he still does now at almost 14 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I started a bed time routine from birth with my girls. They would all be bathed, fed and in bed between 6-7pm. Worked great for us and Id do a dream feed before I went to bed around 10pm. All 4 of the girls slept through the night with this routine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys!

Yeah I agree that having a set time is probably not always going to work it's more to start establishing the habits for us to get used to...I guess the hope is that if e can get DD into bed sooner we might be able to have more time for each other.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyG4 View Post
    I started a bed time routine from birth with my girls. They would all be bathed, fed and in bed between 6-7pm. Worked great for us and Id do a dream feed before I went to bed around 10pm. All 4 of the girls slept through the night with this routine.
    Wow that sounds pretty good! I know that over time we'll develop a good routine so I look forward to this! I have tried the dream feed for 2 nights now...although she was kind of awake really anyway!...but it seems to giving me more sleep at night which is nice!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good to know! I think sometimes reading about sleep etc and other threads you develop the impression that they need to be in bed by a certain time! But with DD every day is different ATM so we'll continue to go with the flow and see what she wants us to do!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This too. BRV is right. Timings aren't as important as sequence of events.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I also think that it's too early to have a set bed time but it's a good time to start thinking about establishing an evening routine. I had a very loose plan when DS was that age which was this:
    • around 4:30pm walk for 30+ minutes (change of scenery is great for breaking the witching hour crying; also some exercise and sunshine for you)
    • around 5:30pm bath time, baby massage (I still use a nice scented baby oil that promotes relaxation and sleep - Perfect Portion Baby Bliss)
    • around 6:15pm feed/bottle
    • around 7pm settle for bed
    TBH he's six months old now and that routine still basically stands but with the addition of solids at 5:15/5:30pm before his bath at around 6pm, and final bottle at 6:30pm. He's in bed asleep at 7pm and generally sleeps through until 5/6am (although teething at the moment so that's upsetting things ATM).

Not everyone will agree with me but I think having a routine is good, and it doesn't hurt to start now, as this will establish bed time cues for bub. It's up to you how strict or flexible you want to be with times further down the track.