+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    No I haven't - where is it?

DSs cough is definitely croup again, we gave him predmix this morning but he was much worse this afternoon. We are keeping an eye on him and will take him to hospital if his breathing starts to struggle.

This is shaping up to be the worst bout yet, not surprising really considering he never got a chance to fully recover from the last round. I think we're in for a long night.
    @Cue how many times has he had it now? I don't want to scare you but my friends son has had a rare reaction to predmix and now goes in and out of coma. Please take him to hospital.

How old is he? My dd had her tonsils out at 14 months for similar reasons. Rush the feed test and thank goodness for clear test for CP. Babies are so scary. My only other suggestion is try thickner in his fluids?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    @Cue how many times has he had it now? I don't want to scare you but my friends son has had a rare reaction to predmix and now goes in and out of coma. Please take him to hospital.

How old is he? My dd had her tonsils out at 14 months for similar reasons. Rush the feed test and thank goodness for clear test for CP. Babies are so scary. My only other suggestion is try thickner in his fluids?
    He's now had it 6 times. Thankfully he was much better on Sunday, so it was only really bad on Saturday. We must have got the predmix into him just in time. He's coughing a fair bit today but it's back to his usual wet cough.

DS is 8mo. His tonsils looked fine when they checked his airways during his recent surgery. We have the swallow test on Monday next week so only a week to go. Hopefully he can stay well for it! I'm assuming his bloods were all fine as I haven't heard anything from his paed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My DS has had bronchiolitis more times than I can count. I've been giving him ventilon since he was around 4/5 months old, even though he can't be diagnosed with asthma until he is older, the ventilon helped open his airways.

At 18 months my GP referred me to a paed because of the recurring sickness. The Paed sent us off for a chest X-ray to make sure all his bit and bobs were in the right places and right size, particularly his diaphragm and lungs. Apart from being able to see bronchiolitis/asthma in his airways, he was all good, they couldn't see any abnormalities.

He is now 2 and whenever he gets a cold I can hear him get all wheezy but he is able to fight it off more now. I'm still none the wiser as to why he got sick so much. In saying that he's already had steroids once this year.

I don't really have much advice but you have my sympathy, it's really horrible hearing them all wheezy. It used to really get me down, it's tough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheekychook View Post
    My DS has had bronchiolitis more times than I can count. I've been giving him ventilon since he was around 4/5 months old, even though he can't be diagnosed with asthma until he is older, the ventilon helped open his airways.

At 18 months my GP referred me to a paed because of the recurring sickness. The Paed sent us off for a chest X-ray to make sure all his bit and bobs were in the right places and right size, particularly his diaphragm and lungs. Apart from being able to see bronchiolitis/asthma in his airways, he was all good, they couldn't see any abnormalities.

He is now 2 and whenever he gets a cold I can hear him get all wheezy but he is able to fight it off more now. I'm still none the wiser as to why he got sick so much. In saying that he's already had steroids once this year.

I don't really have much advice but you have my sympathy, it's really horrible hearing them all wheezy. It used to really get me down, it's tough.
    It really does suck! I'm glad your DS is coping with it better these days. DSs X-ray was like that too, all streaky from the bronchiolitis but nothing abnormal as far as his anatomy goes.

Does your DS have a constant cough between illnesses as well or does it all just happen when he gets sick? Our paed was mostly concerned about the persistence of DSs junky wet cough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Does your DS have a constant cough between illnesses as well or does it all just happen when he gets sick? Our paed was mostly concerned about the persistence of DSs junky wet cough.
    my son had this constant cough in between his frequent bouts of croup (every 6 weeks for a good 4 yrs). It was constant. So, so unbelievably draining. His teachers would also bring it up with me all the time and I just had to say 'no one knows why', we had been through so many assessments with no real answer. The coughing became the bane of my existence. Probably sounds dramatic to people who haven't lived through it but it really was completely awful. Ventolin and seretide helped to take the edge off, but it never completely went away. The decision to have both his adenoids and tonsils out - despite no real definite signs that this was necessary - was honestly the best decision we could have made. His constant underlying cough went almost immediately following surgery. He no longer gets croup nearly as often. He still has what I would consider a fragile respiratory system - most likely asthma, though no one has officially diagnosed him yet. The asthma meds work though. But, the unbearable and debilitating coughing is no longer there. He is so much more comfortable. He used to cough so much at night that he would cry because his ribs hurt

I guess i just want to say I totally empathise with where you are at. I hope you find answers soon, and it won't take 4 yrs like it did for us.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Barnaby For This Useful Post:

Cue  (23-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It really does suck! I'm glad your DS is coping with it better these days. DSs X-ray was like that too, all streaky from the bronchiolitis but nothing abnormal as far as his anatomy goes.

Not so much now but when he was younger, I felt like he was always coughing. It was that wet cough too. It was like he constantly has congestion around his throat and just couldn't clear it.

I was giving DS an immune booster & probiotic there for awhile. Not sure it helped but figured it couldn't do him harm. I think I'll start them again soon since we are coming into winter.

We also run out heater all night through winter, the cold Melbourne air seems to exasperate it.

Anatomy! That's the word, LOL! My pregnant, tired brain could only come up with bits and bobs!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheekychook View Post
    Not so much now but when he was younger, I felt like he was always coughing. It was that wet cough too. It was like he constantly has congestion around his throat and just couldn't clear it.

I was giving DS an immune booster & probiotic there for awhile. Not sure it helped but figured it couldn't do him harm. I think I'll start them again soon since we are coming into winter.

We also run out heater all night through winter, the cold Melbourne air seems to exasperate it.

Anatomy! That's the word, LOL! My pregnant, tired brain could only come up with bits and bobs!!!
    Lol, I still have baby brain and DS is 8mo!

That is exactly what DSs cough is like, it sounds like he needs to clear his throat. Everyone that hears it always says how badly they want to cough for him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bit of an update, we have had the barium swallow test and an LBO (camera down his throat under a general anaesthetic) - it all happened pretty quickly in the end. The swallow test showed that he isn't swallowing properly so some of his formula is overflowing into his airway. He seems to cough and clear it, but it explains why he always gags and vomits when he tries to eat solids. The LBO was done a few days later as we needed to know if there was an anatomical reason for the swallow problem but thankfully it was all clear (for those playing at home, they were looking for a laryngeal cleft and/or a fistula between the trachea and oesophagus). I'm happy that it was all normal as it would have meant more surgery for him.

So as it stands, we'll be working with the speech therapists to improve his swallow and get him tolerating solids which will hopefully sort that part of it out. Unfortunately none of this has got us any closer to working out why he keeps getting croup and/or bronchiolitis. We see the paed again when he's back from leave later in the month to discuss what we do next, if anything. It might be a matter of waiting for him to hopefully grow out of it and possibly taking him out of daycare for the rest of this year until he's a bit bigger and more capable of handling the coughs & colds. Obviously we need to consider the financial impact of this as it means I wouldn't go back to work until January.

Thankfully, DS hasn't been coughing much in the last few days so I'm really hoping this means he has just been really unlucky with back to back bugs and there isn't actually anything else going on!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (03-04-2015),HappyBovinexx  (03-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bit of an update, we have had the barium swallow test and an LBO (camera down his throat under a general anaesthetic) - it all happened pretty quickly in the end. The swallow test showed that he isn't swallowing properly so some of his formula is overflowing into his airway. He seems to cough and clear it, but it explains why he always gags and vomits when he tries to eat solids. The LBO was done a few days later as we needed to know if there was an anatomical reason for the swallow problem but thankfully it was all clear (for those playing at home, they were looking for a laryngeal cleft and/or a fistula between the trachea and oesophagus). I'm happy that it was all normal as it would have meant more surgery for him.

So as it stands, we'll be working with the speech therapists to improve his swallow and get him tolerating solids which will hopefully sort that part of it out. Unfortunately none of this has got us any closer to working out why he keeps getting croup and/or bronchiolitis. We see the paed again when he's back from leave later in the month to discuss what we do next, if anything. It might be a matter of waiting for him to hopefully grow out of it and possibly taking him out of daycare for the rest of this year until he's a bit bigger and more capable of handling the coughs & colds. Obviously we need to consider the financial impact of this as it means I wouldn't go back to work until January.

Thankfully, DS hasn't been coughing much in the last few days so I'm really hoping this means he has just been really unlucky with back to back bugs and there isn't actually anything else going on!
    I would be inclined to think maybe it's not croup but more so food on his lungs! It's same as hugo. I'm glad you got results. When do u see speech. We have thickened fluids and heaps bigger improvement. Except of course normal colds. I'm so glad you got some results 😘

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    I would be inclined to think maybe it's not croup but more so food on his lungs! It's same as hugo. I'm glad you got results. When do u see speech. We have thickened fluids and heaps bigger improvement. Except of course normal colds. I'm so glad you got some results 😘
    The ENT surgeon said that the swallowing issue wouldn't cause his persistent cough - if food was getting into his lungs he'd be getting pneumonia. The persistent wet cough is still a mystery unfortunately. I'll be asking the paed about any potential cilia issues at the next appointment. I know it was one of the things he was considering and we haven't really discussed it while we've been doing these other tests. From my very limited understanding, it would be a possible explanation for DS having excess mucous which in turn could make him more susceptible to viruses that then lead to croup.

I know I sound ridiculous but I really want to rule out any and all of the not-so-nice possibilities.