+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    Yes but apparently in lots of cases the screening is incorrect :/ how frightening is that!! Similar to hearing tests etc.
    @Cue can you afford to see a speech pathologist? Do you have PHI?
    I do have PHI and can afford to see a speech path. Our paed has referred us to the speech path clinic at the Children's Hospital Westmead and we see the at the end of the month. They will be assisting with the modified barium swallow test and assessing him. I'm glad we got in there so quickly as the children's hospital is ideal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD got croup 2-3 times as a toddler, but had recurrent tonsillitis and ear infections until a tonsillectomy at 4. Now she barely catches a cold.

DS is 21m. He was sick all last winter, lots of croup, lots of ear infections so lots of predmix and antibiotics. He's been sick about 3 times over summer and now when he gets a cough it doesn't go croupy, but does get wheezy (which responds to ventolin). DH has has athsma since childhood, so suspect it could be the case with DS but it's too early to know. He also has large tonsils like his sister.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD (20 months) gets moderately severe croup several times a year, usually autumn & spring. Our DS (5 years) has never once had it. Both kids were full term, 4 kgs birth weight, no post birth complications, no allergies etc. We don't even have family histories of croup or asthma. Our GP simply said some kids get it, others don't. Now we know what it is & how to treat it (we use prednisolene) so it is generally manageable. It can get worse VERY quickly & in my experience the sooner you get onto it the better. There's no mistaking that horrible barking cough!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes, my eldest who is now 5 got croup over and over. It was horrible and scary. I had him at the doctor often, and nobody could tell me why he was so prone to getting it or how to control it. In the end I kept a ventolin puffer with spacer by his bedside, as that helped to calm and control his breathing when he would have an attack, and then would take him to the doctor and get prednisone for him the next day, as it would keep recurring every night until he had had the steroids.
    Now, at 5, he seems to have suddenly outgrown it. We haven't had an attack in a long time, got to be over 6 months now. Super happy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    See that's the thing, DS doesn't really get better with the steroids, even after 3 or 4 doses last week he still ended up in an ambulance with laboured breathing. It's awful. His cough never really goes away either, he's had it since birth and its often hard to tell when it stops being his normal cough and starts being croup.

His chest X-ray didn't show anything unusual, just streaky lungs as expected with bronchiolitis. Blood tests tomorrow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My almost 1yo girl has recurrent bronch. She has been in hosp 9 times now and 2 NICU stays. (First case was at 3mos, misdiagnosed by EX GP, we thought she was going to die :/)

We just had our first round of Bronch where she didnt need to go to hosp at all yay! and last two visits didnt need feeding or breathing support. She is on Montelukast and Ventalin which are helping an enourmous amount.

Never had steriods. But does have frequent cough or sounds like she needs to cough

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    See that's the thing, DS doesn't really get better with the steroids, even after 3 or 4 doses last week he still ended up in an ambulance with laboured breathing. It's awful. His cough never really goes away either, he's had it since birth and its often hard to tell when it stops being his normal cough and starts being croup.

His chest X-ray didn't show anything unusual, just streaky lungs as expected with bronchiolitis. Blood tests tomorrow.
    Which steroid is he getting? I just found out that aside from Prednisolone, Dexamethasone can be used, but more so by hospitals. DD is just recovering from a nasty dose of croup. After 3 days the "Pred" wasn't working that well, so we took her to hospital & she received a the "Dexa" - it almost completely cleared it up with a few hours!
    Hopefully there is something more conclusive in the blood tests for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    He gets PredMix (prednisolone) for his croup. I think it's a bit complicated by the fact that he now seems to be getting bronchiolitis at the same time, so the meds probably help prevent the cough getting worse but he's still dealing with all the mucous on his lungs. He's 'well' at the moment but still has a frequent wet cough.

He had his bloods done today so hopefully we'll get the results soon. I'm a bit scared about what might show up with all these tests.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    He gets PredMix (prednisolone) for his croup. I think it's a bit complicated by the fact that he now seems to be getting bronchiolitis at the same time, so the meds probably help prevent the cough getting worse but he's still dealing with all the mucous on his lungs. He's 'well' at the moment but still has a frequent wet cough.

He had his bloods done today so hopefully we'll get the results soon. I'm a bit scared about what might show up with all these tests.

Sounds like you have a good paed, so glad they are trying to get to the bottom of it. Good luck with the tests, it must feel very scary. Ds3 had the sweat test for cp as his bloods showed up something irregular (he was also always sick when he was little) luckily it came back negative, they have never worked out why he was always sick, or why the blood test showed up cp markers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Sounds like you have a good paed, so glad they are trying to get to the bottom of it. Good luck with the tests, it must feel very scary. Ds3 had the sweat test for cp as his bloods showed up something irregular (he was also always sick when he was little) luckily it came back negative, they have never worked out why he was always sick, or why the blood test showed up cp markers.
    That's great that your DSs tests were clear. What a relief! We are very lucky to have a great paed, he's very thorough without being over the top. Whenever we see him we're there for at least 45min to an hour and I always feel happy with the outcome/plan. It is very scary but I'm hopeful that DS will be ok. He was such a trooper for his blood test today. He's such an amazing little boy!