+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    You say he is a noisy breather. My niece was a noisy breather and was diagnosed with a floppy larynx. Maybe look into that? The good news with that is, it corrects itself by about 12 months.
    This was the GPs first thought - laryngomalacia - but DS had an operation recently to remove a large dermoid cyst from above his eye and the anesthetist didn't note any abnormality or issue with inserting the breathing tube.

It's hard to explain, but the breathing sounds a lot like he's always breathing through mucous. You just want to cough for him! The paed asked about any cystic fibrosis in the family so I know he's considering all possibilities.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We did with ds2. Probably 6-7 times between 15m -2. It's horrid and scary.

Ds2 has grown out of it, but I do think he will have to have his adenoids out sometime soon. He snores a lot. I know that doesn't have much to do with bronchialitis but it's interesting to me because it has to do with narrow airways nonetheless.

Redipred was a saviour for us.
    Thankfully he never really got hyper on it so although the croup was bad, we could relieve it easily.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My oldest had croup literally every 6 weeks from the age of 15 months until he had his tonsils out at 5. The tonsils were basically a last ditch effort and thankfully it worked. He had started not responding to the steroids he was having them so often.

ETA: He had his tonsils out in august last year and has only had croup 2 times since then. That is a massive change for us.
    Last edited by Barnaby; 12-03-2015 at 21:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    This was the GPs first thought - laryngomalacia - but DS had an operation recently to remove a large dermoid cyst from above his eye and the anesthetist didn't note any abnormality or issue with inserting the breathing tube.

It's hard to explain, but the breathing sounds a lot like he's always breathing through mucous. You just want to cough for him! The paed asked about any cystic fibrosis in the family so I know he's considering all possibilities.
    We are having same tests for H. He can't eat either. He's on same formula now switched over to delact again sigh. Speech has formally diagnosed him with Dysphagia. We have a video X-ray thing (I can't remember the name)! But basically hugos food goes wrong way and goes into his lungs too!

He's also having another round of genetic and another cystic fibrosis test. He's had so many colds etc. We have ENT tues. Hugs @Cue

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyBovine View Post
    Aren't babies screened for CF at birth?
    Yes, but apparently they still check again if symptoms suggest it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    We are having same tests for H. He can't eat either. He's on same formula now switched over to delact again sigh. Speech has formally diagnosed him with Dysphagia. We have a video X-ray thing (I can't remember the name)! But basically hugos food goes wrong way and goes into his lungs too!

He's also having another round of genetic and another cystic fibrosis test. He's had so many colds etc. We have ENT tues. Hugs @Cue
    Was it a modified barium swallow test? That's what DS is having at the end of the month.

We see an ENT too who suspected enlarged adenoids at first but both he and I are not convinced that's what's going on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
    My oldest had croup literally every 6 weeks from the age of 15 months until he had his tonsils out at 5. The tonsils were basically a last ditch effort and thankfully it worked. He had started not responding to the steroids he was having them so often.

ETA: He had his tonsils out in august last year and has only had croup 2 times since then. That is a massive change for us.
    I'm glad you had some success. DS's croup doesn't really respond to the steroids, it probably stops it from causing serious breathing issues but doesn't lessen the coughing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi
    My son has suffered with severe croup from age 18 months. His first episode we had no idea what it was, but rushed him to ER where they gave him adrenaline. From then on he got croup with every single virus he got which always required emergency treatment. He would have stages where he would get it every 3-4 weeks for half of the year. It got to the point where i had a spare bottle of redipred on hand for those emergencies. It was terrifying. He is now 9 and still gets it, however he doesn't have the breathing problems with it. The doctors never felt the need to look further into it, but looking back I wish they had. He does seem to have a smaller palate and throat than my DD. He also suffered from bad reflux til he was 2 which makes me wonder if there was damage done with that. I did whatever I could to build his immune system and keep him away from sick kids as best I could.
    All the best with everything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Eldest did, only possible cause was serious viral infection in early infancy,

He's 5 now and seems to have outgrown it but is a coughy, wheezy kid.

I also did, I was hospitalised a lot for it, I'm an asthmatic

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyBovine View Post
    Aren't babies screened for CF at birth?
    Yes but apparently in lots of cases the screening is incorrect :/ how frightening is that!! Similar to hearing tests etc.
    @Cue can you afford to see a speech pathologist? Do you have PHI?