+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default When should you introduce a sippy cup?

Hi there,

I have a 5 month old bub who has been on solids for nearly 4 weeks now. She is bottle fed and wondering should I start putting her formula in sippy cups?

I take it you still need to sterilise the sippy cups if you do this? Any thoughts/issues on introducing this? I have read that some babies do not drink as much from the sippy cups.

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I would stick with the bottles for formula but introduce water in a sippy cup from 6 months and offer it when you offer solids.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

3bubbys  (12-03-2015),amyd  (12-03-2015),misskittyfantastico  (12-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    I would stick with the bottles for formula but introduce water in a sippy cup from 6 months and offer it when you offer solids.
    Yep this is exactly what we did. I wanted her to know that milk was in bottles and water was in sippy cups, because the behaviours with these two are different, I.e. You drink your bottle in one serving, and your sippy cup of water is accessible at all times. I think it makes weaning them off the bottle a lot easier too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We did too. Although I BF, as soon as DD started solids we started offering a sippy or straw cup with water in it. Boiled & cooled water at first.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Try lots of kinds of cups too as some babies struggle with the sippy cups but manage well with straws. My son just kept choking with sippy cups as it seemed to come out too quick for him so we just gave water in bottle to start and at about a year he started being able to use straws. Now he uses a bottle with sports type top which he manages much better with than the sippy cup. Some babied prefer drinking straight from open cup also.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

rosey82  (12-03-2015)