+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sleep

How much at night does your newborn sleep at night? My 3.5 week old only sleeps max 2 hour blocks at night (from 8pm to 6am). Most of the time is only 1-1.5 hours. I know they are just brand new but how do I get a little bit bigger blocks, any ideas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing for ideas.

I also have a 3.5 week old and we're getting longer stretches than you, you poor thing. But she does have a witching hour every day (actually usually 3 hours) where she just cries inconsolably. This is terrible if it's through the night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can't really stretch out babies this young for feeds. DS was feeding 2-3 hourly round the clock at that stage. Their tummies are tiny and don't hold a lot, so they have to feed all the time to stay full and hydrated.
    She will naturally start to feed less often when her tummy grows larger and she can hold more milk. It's hard when they feed all the time, but do try and sleep while she is sleeping, get as much rest and help around the house as possible. It does gets easier, I promise!

Thanks
    Reviews
    You poor thing, my DS1 was like that, it was a nightmare! They often have day and night mixed up to begin with. Good news is, if you're breastfeeding it will do wonders for your supply!
    The only thing is to keep lights off at night, a nightlight is your friend. Then day sleeps should be somewhere quite light. Make sure to expose bub to some natural light during the day.
    I don't recommend waking them if they're sleeping longer stretches during the day, just try to get some sleep yourself when they're sleeping.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBug'sMum View Post
    You poor thing, my DS1 was like that, it was a nightmare! They often have day and night mixed up to begin with. Good news is, if you're breastfeeding it will do wonders for your supply!
    The only thing is to keep lights off at night, a nightlight is your friend. Then day sleeps should be somewhere quite light. Make sure to expose bub to some natural light during the day.
    I don't recommend waking them if they're sleeping longer stretches during the day, just try to get some sleep yourself when they're sleeping.
    Oh yes absoutely! Sorry I read this as her feeding round the clock - but yes do this to help her distinguish between night and day. Keeping night time quiet and try not to talk to baby too much either, just see to her and put her back down. Day time is for noise and playing. I also found not changing DSs nappy overnight unless I absolutely had to prevented him from waking up too much, and it made it a little easier to get him back to sleep after he woke up.