+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Autism test???

Hi all, just wondering for those that have gone through an autism test was it a lengthy process to get anyone to tell you anything? We have seen a GP, paed, speech therapist, psychologist, meant to see an occupational therapist, going back to psychologist in a couple of weeks. I have been up and down and I just cry a lot because I have no idea what I am doing or how to help DS, DH and I are fighting so much more because we are stressed and tired. I just want someone to just tell me this is what it is, this is what to do to help him. Everyone just seems to say come back in a few weeks or see someone else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Hun.
    Yes it was a long road for us with ds1. With ds2 it has been very quick but he is obvious.
    Your pead should be able to set up the screening process for you. It may take ages to get there but if you know what you think then just look up everything you can. I was already helping Ds1 as much as I could by the time we got our diagnosis.
    Good luck. There is a thread for mums like us. Your welcome to come talk.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie Stackedhouse For This Useful Post:

bigZ  (11-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    We've been through it twice. It was about a 6 week process first time because the appointments are spread out. There was a parent/psychologist appointment, play based child/psychologist session, another psych session (or maybe it was 2?) where the psych used all the standardised tests, and then there was the speech assessment. That's all that is needed for an autism assessment.
    2nd time we went through it i tried a paed and whilst he agreed with the previous psychologists reports that it was in fact autism, he wouldn't communicate with the psych or put anything reflecting the new diagnostic criteria on paper. So i gave him the flick and went back and saw a psych and speech pathologist again. We had less appointments 2nd time around as the previous diagnosis was only a year old, we just needed a diagnosis/reports using the new dsm so that we could get support at school.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

bigZ  (11-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DueInAugust View Post
    Hi Hun.
    Yes it was a long road for us with ds1. With ds2 it has been very quick but he is obvious.
    Your pead should be able to set up the screening process for you. It may take ages to get there but if you know what you think then just look up everything you can. I was already helping Ds1 as much as I could by the time we got our diagnosis.
    Good luck. There is a thread for mums like us. Your welcome to come talk.
    Hi, thanks heaps, what's the thread called?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awesome mum's of autistic kids- how many of us are there #2

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie Stackedhouse For This Useful Post:

bigZ  (12-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sick to death of the long road too. I'm almost convinced my DS has ASD now more so than ever.
    Where as before I'd go back and forth wondering. He's just turned 2 a few months ago so still quite young.

After a meeting with my DS'S early intervention they said try not to worry about the diagnosis and further in the future as even if we know and get the diagnosis we will still be doing the same things to help DS. It does make sense but I get the being in limbo and not completely knowing it's horrible frustrating. I can see it, I kind of wish all the doctors would.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to zoz For This Useful Post:

bigZ  (12-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Subbing to come back later and post. My DS was diagnosed last November.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Our DS was formally diagnosed after 3 sessions with a child psych (fortnightly appointments, so it took a bit over 6 weeks from start to finish).

Prior to the assessment, we had reports from DS's speech therapist, Early Intervention playgroup and an occupational therapist. We also had a letter from our paed which validated our concerns. In other words, the psych had a fair bit of information about DS before he proceeded with the diagnosis process.

How old is your DS?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

bigZ  (12-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I should probably add my DS wasn't diagnosed until he was 5 so it was probably a more straight forward process than it would be with say, a 2 year old.
    I spent well over a year trying to get in to see someone and was constantly knocked back though, so that part was a lengthy process. I never suspected ASD either. I knew something was amiss but had no idea what it could have been.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

bigZ  (12-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Out of curiosity what are the symptoms?
    A girl at my local butcher said her son was diagnosed with it, but she put it down to discipline. His perfectly fine now. (I don't know the girl personally)