+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkbug View Post
    Yes, thats right..
    I think that's a lot for two of you but if you can afford it then I guess go for it. We would spend about that between 2 adults and three children (4 years and younger)

If you're looking to cut costs though then maybe you could reduce this amount?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice @yadot

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    So this is how I have broken everything down. @Elijahs Mum I'm just talking about immediate out of pocket expenses if that makes sense. I have broken down every single bill and allocated an amount each week and this is what i get. I live in Perth if that makes any difference. Please be kind.

MORTGAGE 642.00
    INVESTMENT LOAN 200.00
    TAX 200.00
    GST 150.00
    CAR LOAN 127.00
    HBF 44.00
    RAC HOME & CONTENTS 20.00
    RAC CAR X 2 36.00
    TPG INTERNET 17.00
    TELSTRA HOME PHONE 6.00
    KLEENHEAT 14.00
    SYNERGY 35.00
    RATES 33.00
    CAR REGO x 2 25.00
    CAR SERVICING x 2 50.00
    OPTUS MOBILES x 2 47.00
    WATER 10.00
    FOOD SHOPPING 200.00
    TAKEAWAY 50.00
    INCOME PROTECTION 35.00
    PETROL 100.00
    ENTERTAINMENT 100.00
    HOLIDAY 100.00
    XMAS 20.00
    BIRTHDAYS 20.00
    The easy things to cut down on are these.
    Food. You could easily cut this down $75. Meal planning take your own lunches. Baking snacks etc..

Takeout half it. So now $25 so that's one cheap take a week or one nicer one a fortnight.

Entertainment half or even 1/4 this. Just keep chanting my house is worth more than this movie/game etc...

Holiday cut by 5 or 10 dollars. If you cut your entertainment by a lot than it easier to justify more for holidays.

How many birthdays and christmas presents do you need to buy that budget seems very high. I would reduce birthday to 10 that is still 520 a year)

Please check your rates it seems low. Check your not using the 6 mth bill that they send instead of the full 12 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Yes, thats right..
    So $250 a week for two people to eat and eat out - I'd be interested in what others budget for this as well. The Supermarket bill is a bit sneaky i find, as its all the exxy things like shampoo and laundry detergent etc that bump up the cost of the weekly shop.

I'm doing a budget too to see if we can survive while I'm on mat leave and I'm budgeting $180 week for two people for supermarket (food and all the other household stuff) plus $20 a week for takeaway (cheap vietnamese and burgers in our neighbourhood).

What do people think? Is that enough/not enough/too much?

We are going to try and test it next fortnight to see how it goes. Thing is I used to be on a centrelink allowance and somehow always managed to make ends meet but having a salary really ruins your ability to be thrifty...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think $180 pw is doable if you are smart and shop for specials. We are a family of 4 ( kids aged 4 and 10 months) and we manage on $200 a week

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

ScubaGal  (12-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We manage on 100/wk for my girls and I but $140/wk when dh is home. I'm in Brisbane so I realise there is a price disparity between cities.

$180/wk is a what we would spend if we had lots of family over a few times.

Takeaway is $20.00 a week. The kids get sushi once a week. I get a bottle of wine

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is exactly what I do @meredithgrey 😊
    Thanks for the suggestions so far ladies. I think I will start reducing our grocery & takeaway amount each week. Entertainment included alcohol as well, i might reduce this back to $50 a week and see how we go 😊 i made sure those weekly amounts were a little higher than what the amount actually is to make sure there is a little extra.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Optus mobile: I'm assuming you're on contract. If your contract is nearly up, don't renew it. Find a pre-paid deal that focuses on the parts that are important to you. For me it's Data. I've found a company that does $50 p/m, unlimited calls and text and 5gig of data i'll be switching to at the end of my contract.

Food shopping: If there are any fresh food markets around you, shop at them for fruit/veg. Buy non-perishables (that you use) in bulk. Make most meals from scratch and freeze them or make extra for next days lunches. Also find a bulk butcher, or go quarters in a beast with your family. $200/$300 will usually get you a quarter of one that will easilly fill a deep freeze and keep you going for months. Just make sure you label them clearly and write a list of everything you have and cross it off when you're done.

Entertainment: $100 a week is a lot of money for entertainment. If you like movie nights, pick one night a week where you and hubby go and buy a new movie, some popcorn and your fizzy of choice then curl up on the couch together and watch it. I like to incorporate my take away nights into these, so you get the whole package without leaving the comfort of your couch. It also has the added bonus of you guys having some "you" time and a chance to reconnect and be grown ups after you have a baby.

Take away: $50 per week for two people is also a lot (i'm basing this on Tas and Melbourne prices, btw). Pick one night a week to get take away with and set a limit at say $30 for delivery or less if you pick it up.

For insurances: I know banks do insurance on home/content/car. It might be worthwhile looking into the bank your home loan is through and seeing if they do these as well. My insurance for my car is $50 p/m for fire, theft and third party but i'm under 25 on my L's. They offered FOB full comprehensive for $60 a month. Naturally, do your research on whether they're a good company or not, etc, but could end up saving you quite a bit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @Jennaisme

Time to do some research!

Thanks
    Reviews
    @ScubaGal I'm on mat leave at the moment and we budgeted $180 a week. ..that includes formula and its normally more than enough. ...some weeks more than others but over the month it evens out.
    Last edited by Molros; 12-03-2015 at 10:22.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Molros For This Useful Post:

ScubaGal  (12-03-2015)