+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpicyTurtle View Post
    The point of organic is not that is tastes better or contains more nutrients, but that most mass produced fruit and veg are sprayed with synthetic pesticides, so by buying organic you are avoiding eating the residue which has been proven to be found on non-organic produce.
    I'd so love to get to the bottom of the organic debate! In the U.K. it was quite reasonable to buy organic but expensive here so I only do for chicken. We just try for fresh as much as possible, avoid fads and with shop bought look for least amount of ingredients!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SpicyTurtle View Post
    The point of organic is not that is tastes better or contains more nutrients, but that most mass produced fruit and veg are sprayed with synthetic pesticides, so by buying organic you are avoiding eating the residue which has been proven to be found on non-organic produce.
    Those pesticides have been likewise shown to have no negative affects to our health. I have visitors coming over so am time poor but I know I read around the time of the studies I cited (around 2012) it was also shown that pesticides on Aust fruit and veg (grown here and overseas) had such trace amounts they had no effect to health.

I also agree with Renn, that most people I know who buy organic do so bc they believe it's healthier. It isn't.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (12-03-2015),misskittyfantastico  (11-03-2015),Trusty Chords  (11-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Those pesticides have been likewise shown to have no negative affects to our health. I have visitors coming over so am time poor but I know I read around the time of the studies I cited (around 2012) it was also shown that pesticides on Aust fruit and veg (grown here and overseas) had such trace amounts they had no effect to health.

I also agree with Renn, that most people I know who buy organic do so bc they believe it's healthier. It isn't.
    I totally disagree

With the organic argument I buy organic as its more ethical for the animal and I know for sure it's chemical free - Google the omega 6/3 ratio , it's frightening , non organic meat and chicken are fed food that is messing with the natural omega 6/3 ratio which is causing havoc on our system

Plus consumers are very misled as to what pesticides and practices are deemed "safe" - a prime example is the pesticide fenthion has just been banned here after they discovered harmful levels on fruit in WA - ( up until 3 years ago NO government department was testing/checking that the farmers were using the correct amount of pesticides ) people were buying this fruit believing it was safe - imagine what else the government is not checking!

http://m.watoday.com.au/wa-news/bird...314-34pkj.html

An APVMA risk assessment of residues that was published in September 2012 found that on smooth skin stone fruit, such as nectarines and plums, fruit picked after seven days of spraying – the previous withholding period - had residues levels that were a risk to children.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

SpicyTurtle  (11-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    2 relevant things:

2) Absolutely, our bodies remove toxins. It's why we have kidneys, a liver, etc :P 'detoxing' is completely unnecessary and potentially harmful.

Absolutely our bodies and kidneys and liver especially are designed to eliminate waste and harmful substances but the worry for today's kids is that there has never been more processed foods , additives, pesticides, GMO , trans fats, preservatives eaten in the world than right now and if you look at the statistics for heart disease, diabetes, auto immune diseases etc are on the increase because clearly our bodies can't handle it so something does need to change and we absolutely should be worrying about it

As mentioned above the omega 6/3 ratio - it's disturbing - our bodies are not coping with the imbalance of the omegas and this is due to the amounts of wheat/corn/vegetable oils and margarines we have been eating since the 1950,s - the food our life stock are now eating is a mixture of wheat/corn/soy and cotton and it's changed the composition of the meat ( livestock should be grass fed ) which has a major effect on our bodies

Most of the the food in supermarkets marketed for kids is bad for them, I'm not saying go crazy like the articles quoted from pp , but for people to just look into where your food is from and what it had been eating or what it's made from - the government does not care as they are allowing it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    Aren't Aldi's products all preservative and additive free. Not that I buy them, but that's what I've heard. Or am I missing something, am I that naive?
    I don't shop at Aldi but I "think" they have banned artificial colours but still use preservatives and natural colours and additives - which even though they are natural they are still bad for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I don't mean this at all in an offensive way, but I think people have swung the other way with diet. I read they are deeming it as a new eating disorder (it actually has a name which escapes me) where some are getting so obsessive with healthy eating i.e organic, vegan, gluten and diary free it's actually become bad.
    I think Orthorexia might be the one you're thinking of.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthorexia_nervosa

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @Elijahs Mum

Yes, there are massive issues with the modern Western diet. Problem is, there's no evidence that these problems are linked to additives, wheat etc. Now, that's not to say it's not possible, but there's a massive difference between saying "I think this could be the case, so I'll avoid it" and telling people something simply IS the case which is not backed up by science.

We DO know that large amounts of sugar/highly refined carbs and low levels of fibre are correlated with poorer health, metabolic illnesses, diabetes etc. such as you mentioned.

There simply isn't evidence that any of these things are linked to additives, pesticides etc., and certainly not GMO.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (12-03-2015),atomicmama  (11-03-2015),J37  (11-03-2015),Lil M  (11-03-2015),misskittyfantastico  (11-03-2015),Trusty Chords  (11-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Check out if you have a farmers market local to you. Often they sell organic without the mark ups of supermarket "organic". My local farmers market sources mostly local and often the farmers themselves are there so you can ask questions. We spend about $50-60 there for the week. Then have to go to the supermarket for bread, milk, yoghurt, cheese and toiletries. Generally I don't buy tpiletries and cleaners weekly so it's pretty quick. I buy meat in bulk every few weeks. So really all up my shop is only around $100 and then a bit more if I have cleaners, toiletries.
    goodluck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ok I haven't read everything here but I'm glad to see some people are on the same page as me. I lost 50kg not once but 3 times… This is the first time I have not regained it disastrously. The other two times I had highly restrictive eating habits that included things like cutting out processed foods, sugar, carbs etc etc. When I realised what I had was infact an eating disorder that actually had nothing to do with food but my attachment issues with my parents I actually worked very very hard at changing things.

It was so bad to the point I was forcing my horrible relationship with food on my kids forcing them to finsih their quinoa salads at school… I can look back now and think woahhhh what a d*** head but at the time I was just doing what I thought was right and healthy but it actually came from somewhere unhealthy… Insecurity. My kids were stressed and they would binge at the grandparents house or birthday parties…

Because I'd removed so many things from my diet when I ate them again my body had adjusted to living without them and had all sorts of problems eating them. Yes I had in fact created my own food intolerance by not letting my body have those things in and build natural tolerance. It took a long time to get my body back to tolerating things like carbs and a lot of the ill feelings I had about food were actually psychological.

I started with a body building coach who was like "Ummm you do realise you pretty much aren't eating carbs right? Do you think that you just feel bad because of what you psychologically associate carbs with." I was adamant he was wrong because that would mean I was wrong about what I believed. But as the last couple of years passed and I kind of worked on exposure therapy to food. I can attest it's true it's psychological. If you saw half the **** I ate today from the doughnuts, to ice cream to cake you'd think I was super unhealthy, overweight and with a range of health issues.

I actually have super low blood pressure, never depressed anymore after years of depression, healthy weight and I'm super active never sluggish. I do eat "healthy" food too but seriously I am medically certified mentally and physically healthy and I eat my fair share of "junk" these days when in the past my eating disorders caused me to have a panic attack if someone served cake at a birthday. But now I also know my limits and when to stop. In the past as a binge eater I had no self control because I never learnt it because my own parents were very controlling of me and the only thing they didn't control was my diet.

Before anyone says what about the kids with sever intolerance allergies… I had 3 kids all with cows milk protein intolerance which is common for my ethnic back ground of being Asian and it's most likely got a lot to do with the fact Asians don't really eat dairy. I read an article saying Europeans through years of dairy in their diet digest it really well.

My middle child had such severe intolorance to wheat, dairy, egg, potato, gluten he actually ended up in hospital at 11 months for 2 weeks with colitis caused by oat milk. He was on ellecare a hypoallergenic formula and probably didn't really eat dairy completely till he was about 3. What we did with him was introduce the things after about 2 in small amounts that he could tolerate gradually building them up. Sometimes if it was too much he'd react. Now at 6 he can eat anything and there is no reaction. But those things must stay in his diet because if removed for too long tolerance is lost.

He is a very curious "hyperactive" child and I've been asked to put him on dexamphetamine to keep him sitting still in a classroom… To which I refused. But a lot of parents suggest diet and look I've been that route with my children and it actually made things worse and caused a range of disordered eating and stress. My son is actually just raised in a household where he is taught to question not follow and be open minded… He doesn't sit still because he wants all senses involved in learning even his teacher admitted that. There is nothing wrong with him and I feel this focus we all have on children's diets is getting out of hand. Children are not learning self control and having a range of mental health issues because controlling diet is down to parental control.

My kids are allowed to eat anything they want from processed "junk" to home made sweets and guess what? They don't binge anymore even at birthday parties. They actually turn junk food away and if they can't finish a cake or chocolate they don't eat it. They've learnt themselves what their body feels like when they've had enough which is something I never knew at their age. My kids will quite happily ask for salads now and enjoy things and turn down cake because we've worked on a healthy relationship with food.

If you do a lot reading on nocebos the opposite to placebo you will find the mind is so powerful it can actually manifest physical illness when it believes something is not good for it. I would have been the last person to admit a few years ago it was all in the mind and you can probably find my neurotic posts on food under my last account on here lol… But yeah I think my children and I are living proof that processed food or sweets in moderation are not harmful.
    And yeah that was a novel but food is something that I've spent a lot of time researching and understanding.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trusty Chords For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (12-03-2015),Ra Ra Superstar  (11-03-2015),smallpotatoes  (12-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    @Elijahs Mum

Yes, there are massive issues with the modern Western diet. Problem is, there's no evidence that these problems are linked to additives, wheat etc. Now, that's not to say it's not possible, but there's a massive difference between saying "I think this could be the case, so I'll avoid it" and telling people something simply IS the case which is not backed up by science.

We DO know that large amounts of sugar/highly refined carbs and low levels of fibre are correlated with poorer health, metabolic illnesses, diabetes etc. such as you mentioned.

There simply isn't evidence that any of these things are linked to additives, pesticides etc., and certainly not GMO.
    That's because they are so new the science behind them is still being discovered ( if that makes sense!)

Surely you agree trying to eat an additive and preservative free diet is better for your health - that is what most of us are saying - go back to a fresh diet and limit processed refined foods , eat animals that eat a diet that they are designed to eat - not a processed one

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast