+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Following

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went to a conference today with a session on diet. It basically stated to limit wheat (no more than once a day at most) and refined sugar, other grains like rice, rye, spelt and even corn are ok but modern wheat is so much changed that it is basically junk. Buying fruit and veg in season will often mean its cheaper, it's hard to find time for prep but a good food processor and blender can help. If you look up improving gut flora you will see a lot of new research between gut flora, inflammation and the immune system.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Feel like I'm poisoning my kids.

I worry a bit about this too (not obsessively but I do like to avoid too many processed foods).
    I bought a food processor and it's been fantastic for preparing all our food as cleanly as possible (including things like peanut butter, it tastes nicer and it's super easy to make).

I cut up and freeze a fair few veggies because we go shopping fortnightly and I was throwing away a lot of produce. It saves time when cooking dinner too because it's already cut up and ready to use. Plus because it's so easy I find we eat more veggies, and a larger variety of them I also cut up celery into sticks and leave them in the fridge for quick snacks

I keep a couple of loaves of rye bread in the freezer and only defrost a few slices at a time (left out we all tend to munch on it eek lol). Plus it is expensive and it goes off quickly. I find having a larger freezer is good for saving food too, less wastage means you can buy the nicer stuff and actually use everything you buy (some exceptions apply, veggies with larger water content don't freeze well).

I find since cooking from scratch I don't even go up most aisles any more, I just stop at the veggies, meat, dairy, freezer, and duck down a few aisles for the small things like oil etc.

We're poor so organic or grain fed is out of the question but you can still limit your exposure by dodging the packet foods
    Last edited by Amiedoll; 10-03-2015 at 19:34.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Amiedoll For This Useful Post:

duck07  (10-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Please excuse my ignorance, but what's the problem with wheat and dairy?
    As I've got growing toddlers I feel that dairy is is good for growing bones. I understand it can be mucous forming (colds etc) but other than that I'm unclear?
    I feel like the old food pyramid needs some adjustment!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm fine with dairy, as for wheat, the modern varieties being grown are very different to the old styles and now contain types of gluten (and far more of it) that the body finds very difficult to digest or can't digest at all in some people's cases. Spelt is the ancient cousin of wheat so its good. Apparently Italy and France still grow the old types of wheat but to import it from there would be unsustainable and very costly.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to honey gold For This Useful Post:

moosey  (10-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Feel like I'm poisoning my kids.

Wheat is hard for us to digest because of the gluten , refined wheat can also spike your blood sugar levels plus it contains phytic acid which can hinder absorption of minerals like iron and calcium, while whole wheat is "better" but still causes the same problems and we seem to consume way to much ( cereal/toast for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch, pasta for dinner ) I limit DS to only 1 meal a day containing wheat

With dairy , again grass fed or organic butter , cheese or yogurt is best and just watch for added preservatives

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

moosey  (10-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is a site called www.ripenear.me I only just signed up.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BbBbBh For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (11-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think if you are going to do one really positive thing for your children's health, I'd start with eliminating/minimising sugar. The recent WHO guidelines around the max amount of sugar we should be consuming was very low, and they say if you do need to purchase processed food to make sure the total sugars amount is less than 3%. That includes "natural" and less refined sugars such as syrups, coconut sugar, honey, etc.

All the organic food in the world won't give you the health benefits a reduction in sugar will.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MsViking For This Useful Post:

beebs  (11-03-2015),honey gold  (11-03-2015),LittleBug'sMum  (11-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Don't cut wheat or dairy without consulting with your GP.