+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Feel like I'm poisoning my kids.

I've just started really investigating everything I put in my kids mouths and I feel like with every mouthful I'm putting them at risk.
    I mean, I'm not totally naive, I know that a lot of foods are processed, have additives and colours and flavoring a that aren't ideal. I just feel that there is a risk to everything. I buy what I can afford. In our local area it's hard to buy organic so therefore it's really expensive.
    I make as many snacks as I can with healthy, whole foods but it's hard to find the time.
    It drives me absolutely insane that our government doesn't protect us from some of these terrible nasties. How can they get away with hiding them in our kids foods? Why is it so secretive? Obviously the story on the recent troubles with frozen berries is scary but it brings to light the need for clearer food labeling.

Anyway, sorry for the vent. Just feeling very frustrated.

So what are your life hacks in relation to eating as well as possible?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is ridiculous and it's a shame that junk and processed food is a lot more convenient than healthy food.

My tips are cooking in bulk and meal planning. Even meal prepping for the week where you can.
    Always having healthy snacks on hand (greek yogurt/hummus/veggie dips with veggie sticks)
    If you're into smoothies then having all the ingredients ready to go or even doing big batches and having them on the fridge ready to drink.

And of course buying locally where possible

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am in the process of cleaning most processed food out of our diet and the only 'hack' I really use (which I wouldn't even call it that) is now instead of buying sauces for pastas and pizza bases and things like that is I spend a Sunday each 4-6 weeks making a bulk batch of tomato and herb sauce and freeze it in containers.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to loodle For This Useful Post:

ThenThereWereThree  (13-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My best hack would be that every morning while i clean up from brekkie, i cut up a platter of fruit & a platter of raw veg, & put them in a sectioned plate that has a lid. Then when i get busy throughout the day, i will pull one out & the kids eat it. It stops me grabbing them a biscuit or something when i dont have time to prepare. We usually have dip with the veges. I try to make sure Ive thought about/ prepared what we will have for lunch at this time too, so its ready to go.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Gracie's Mum  (11-03-2015),jez  (11-03-2015),Trio  (10-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is so me! I feel like there is a huge conspiracy theory surrounding the food we eat and all the toxins surrounding us in our lives, even down to the soap we use and air fresheners, moisturiser, mattresses. There are women in Morocco and tribes in Japan that live until 120+ years old with no cancers, diabetes, autoimmune diseases etc. because they eat fresh vegetables grown themselves and hunted meat and fish. Everything we eat unless it is organic vegetables/fruit or grass fed organic meat contains chemicals and preservatives, colours etc. we have such amazing health care giving us the ability to live long lives (against infections etc) yet we ruin it for ourselves by eating such cr*p food and bad habits.
    Sorry for the vent this is a topic I am quite passionate about!

I work as an RN and the amount of people I look after with a list of illnesses the length of my arm is scary, and yet there is so much evidence around reversing these conditions and preventing cancers purely through diet and avoiding exposure to everyday chemicals/toxins.
    People love to blame smoking, and it definitely is a massive contributor but I believe there is so much more to it.

Anyway, in answer to your question, the more I research on this topic (I find it fascinating and would love to study naturopathy) the more changes I implement in my life. Some of the biggest ones -

- water filter that filters almost 100% of fluoride, chlorine and other heavy metals
    - limit dairy and gluten, buy organic cheese and milk when we do eat it.
    - grass fed, organic meat, but try and eat meat only a few times a week
    - fruit/veggies for breakfast and morning tea, salad for lunch, meat and veg or vegetarian meal for dinner
    - cleaning products home made or natural products (white vinegar for most things)
    - beauty products organic natural products
    - try and really limit using chemicals at all costs.

In saying all this, it is super hard to keep up with and expensive too, so although I may sound really strict this plan does not work all of the time, especially if finances get tight.
    My DH and I would love to have a farm and grow all our own veggies and live of solar panels and water tanks lol maybe one day!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SpicyTurtle For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (11-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpicyTurtle View Post
    There are women in Morocco and tribes in Japan that live until 120+ years old with no cancers, diabetes, autoimmune diseases etc. because they eat fresh vegetables grown themselves and hunted meat and fish.
    Really? 120+? Citation required. ;-)

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (12-03-2015),Busy-Bee  (11-03-2015),CMF  (11-03-2015),MsViking  (10-03-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (13-03-2015),TimeForWine  (11-03-2015),Wise Enough  (10-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It's scary isn't it - and yes our labelling laws are a joke, we still use pesticides banned in other countries, the government only started testing pesticide residues 2 year ago and found most peaches and other stone fruits in one batch in WA to be at a "harmful" levels and thankfully have just banned the use of that pesticide ( fenthion ) on our fruit which has been banned overseas for years - imagine what we've been ingesting all these years that goes unsupervised!

I make sure just about everything at home is additive and preservative free so at least 80% of the time what we eat is ok , we only use coconut or olive oils, I try only buy organic fruit and veg ( especially the dirty dozen and any food where we eat the skin ) I also only buy organic eggs and chickens and grass fed meat where possible ( start reading about what they feed our livestock and your head will spin!)

Just do the best you can and what you can afford but by being aware is already a great start!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I get my fruit and veg delivered by one of those organic box deliveries each week, also milk and cheese etc. then I meal plan and go to the organic butcher once a fortnight. Saves me time also. I love going to the farmers market, but find it hard to find the time at the moment with 3 kids! I don't really buy a lot if processed food, my kids will quite happily snack on fruit all day long, but they love a sandwich, so I do get a loaf of bread from the bakery every few days.
    If I need stuff from the supermarket I tend to do that online, so I get less tempted to buy packet stuff.
    When DH goes to the supermarket he buys a load of carp so I tend to try and do it myself!
    I also tend to try and avoid too many cosmetics, use coconut oil for a lot of things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I find it scary too. I try really hard to not buy anything in a packet for my toddler. It scares me the amount of numbers on "children's" food. My kid goes totally hypo on sugar too. One aldi cereal fruit bar makes him crazy for 2 hrs.

I just try do a big bake up of snacks once a fortnight as well as a pile of portioned dinners/lunches it makes it easier. Free range eggs, organic biodynamic meat etc. He still gets odd treats especially when we're out but It worries me the amount of chemicals in their food. When we shop we try make a rule, bare minimum of anything in a packet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    Really? 120+? Citation required. ;-)
    lol I don't keep any records of it just random things I've read when researching things. Could be exaggerated.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SpicyTurtle For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (10-03-2015)