+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Advice on 4 mth old please

Hi
    I have a baby girl who was four months old yesterday and am after some guidance re day time sleeping.

She has slept through from 6 weeks of age, generally between the hours of 7.30-8.30pm through until 6am-7am. She is fed within about 20 mins of waking and will drink anything between 120 - 200mls.

For the last couple of months she has been waking between 6am-7am, feeding, then having a little play and going back to sleep anytime between 8am-9am....she will then sleep through until about 11am-12.00pm and will feed again upon waking, normally around 150mls. So goes about five hours between her first and second feed. She is then fed every three hours until bedtime.

I thought on the weekend that maybe she is going to bed too late and waking up tired and maybe that is why she is sleeping for so long in the morning? So I have been getting her up earlier and feeding her around 1030-11am. But she will drink no more than 80mls and that is a bit of a battle. I know you should never wake a sleeping baby but if she feeds at midday, then her next feeds are 3pm and 6pm. She has five bottles a day so has one more before bed...which is not three hours from her last one, normally she has a walk, a bath and last bottle between 8pm-8.30pm. Is this too late as regardless of what time she goes now she does not sleep past 7am. One day on the weekend we didn't get her down until 9pm and she still woke up at 6am.

So after this big sleep she'll then have anything between 45 mins and two hours any time between about 2pm-4pm.

Today she woke up earlier so I fed her at 10.30am. She only drank 80 mls. We had a play, changed her nappy and I put her on her tummy in her cot about 11.30am for some tummy time just while I got her clothes our for her (I was in the room with her). She fell asleep and is still asleep now, so has slept for another hour.

What should I do? She is swaddled for the morning sleep, just has her normal clothes on if she has an afternoon nap (as these are not guaranteed) and then a sleeping bag for the night time. Don't get me wrong, I am so pleased with her but am I doing wrong by her waking her up or is she going to bed too late? I don't know what to do. Or is this okay? People at my mothers group make snide remarks about her sleeping and I just want to do what it right by her...is it okay to let her sleep until midday then do the two last feeds close together? My plan was to try and feed her by 11am, then 2pm, then 5pm then last feed at 7pm to try and have her asleep by 7.30pm but by her only having the small feed at 10.30am-11am she's down on her consumption a bit - this can vary from 650ml - 800 ml a day. Then when she does have a small feed I'm never too sure when to feed her again!

I want to reiterate I am by no means complaining but am I doing it right?
    @VicPark I have tagged you as from what I have read you know a lot about sleep patterns.

Thanks guys, appreciate it I don't know who else to ask

I should add she is a very happy smiley little girl and has been on Losec from five weeks of age. She makes it very clear if she doesn't want to drink any more by either pushing the bottle out of her mouth or letting it dribble everywhere!

(Sorry this is so long)
    Last edited by Molros; 10-03-2015 at 15:36.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Molros For This Useful Post:

Clyon  (10-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't mean this in a rude way so please don't take it the wrong way, but from what you posted I don't really see what the problem is? She is sleeping all night long, that is awesome! And then having 2 day sleeps which is normal for a 4 month old. You also said she is happy and playful at all other times so it seems to me like she is getting plenty of sleep and generally a happy baby. My DS ever since a newborn would stay awake until 9pm most nights, no matter what I tried to do with his day sleeps, in the end I just accepted he like staying up late, and things got a lot easier then. Even now at 2.5 he still stays up till 9pm most nights. I think it sounds like you are doing a great job and try not to worry too much (easier said than done)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SpicyTurtle For This Useful Post:

Molros  (10-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @SpicyTurtle thank you....I think I worry she's sleeping too much in the day after sleeping all night so was stressing she's not getting enough sleep at night! I do tend to overthink things and you could well be right....she might be a night owl like her dad hehe 😊 thanks for taking the time to reply, after I wrote it I wondered if it really made sense as I'm in no way complaining! !

Thanks
    Reviews
    If your daughter is happy and eating well, gaining weight then I don't see a problem. Your routine actually sounds very similar to when my DS was a baby - a later bed time with a later wake up time in the morning and 2 day naps.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Penny88 For This Useful Post:

Molros  (10-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 4 month old goes to bed at 10pm (not my choice) so i dont see 730-8 being late.
    She wakes at 7-730am for a bottle then goes back to sleep till 10-1030am. She catnaps for the rest of the day (3 x 20 minutes).
    I dont have much experience other then my DD but what you explained sounds like my life so id hazard a guess at being relatively normal.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaCat For This Useful Post:

Molros  (10-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you are happy with the routine then I would just go with it. If her weight gains are reasonable I wouldn't worry too much about the amount she is feeding.
    My DS2 will also happily go 5 hrs between feed 1 and 2 for the day and then feeds 3hrly. But he is bf, so I have no idea how much he is getting.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

Molros  (10-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week

Default Advice on 4 mth old please

I just go with what my baby wants. I put her to sleep when she shows cues and let her sleep however long she needs.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

Molros  (10-03-2015),TheGooch  (10-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    My dd is 4 months old in a week. She goes down at 7 pm to midnight then wakes hrly from 3am for a feed until 7am when she thinks it is play time. Then only has a few small naps in the day and wont take more then 60 mls of milk a feed during the day. Night time feeds she takes 170-200 a feed. I am not stressed or worried. It is just how she is.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxwell's Silver Hammer For This Useful Post:

Molros  (10-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Molros View Post
    @SpicyTurtle thank you....I think I worry she's sleeping too much in the day after sleeping all night so was stressing she's not getting enough sleep at night! I do tend to overthink things and you could well be right....she might be a night owl like her dad hehe 😊 thanks for taking the time to reply, after I wrote it I wondered if it really made sense as I'm in no way complaining! !
    That's ok, I worried about everything when my DS was little too! Still do actually

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SpicyTurtle For This Useful Post:

Molros  (10-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry didn't read the whole post. Shes sleeping soo mych for such a little girl & sounds really happy. Do whatever works for her/you x

19. The Following User Says Thank You to BerryDelicious For This Useful Post:

Molros  (10-03-2015)