+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,868
    Thanks
    5,192
    Thanked
    3,894
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I too found friends who had their kids in strict routines painful. We drifted away as they would only ever do what suited them.

    Find a compromise. Always be home for the midday sleep as that's the sleep kids keep till kindergarten age. For both my kids I only ever focused on the one from 11.30-2/3 sleep. The others just fitted in with my day.

    Good luck

    wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

    LittleBug'sMum  (11-03-2015)

  3. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,600
    Thanks
    417
    Thanked
    825
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks.

    He has a dummy but he sleeps fine with it at night and can easily go a full night without needing it back in, so I don't think that's the issue. He has one of those comforter things and I use the same routine for day and night sleeps. He isn't cold at the moment being summer either.

    As for solids he was doing really well, 2 good meals a day and I was about to start a third. He was starting to sleep through the night but then he got sick and wouldn't eat solids at all for a week. It's been difficult trying to get him back in to them again.

    I'll try dropping the third nap but I'm finding that he can't go til 6.30/7pm bedtime because of the catnapping, he's way too tired.

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,600
    Thanks
    417
    Thanked
    825
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Rose & Aurelia this is what in finding too with friends. I'm the one that always needs to be flexible and work around their needs because they get somewhere and then race off after an hour because their baby needs to go to bed. I just find it restrictive personally and I like to be a little more flexible with nap times. I also find that I'm starting to drift away because organising catch ups is just all too hard.

    I'm always at home for at least 1 nap (very often 2) and he sleeps well while out, I just need to replicate his out sleeping at home!

  5. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,868
    Thanks
    5,192
    Thanked
    3,894
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    Rose & Aurelia this is what in finding too with friends. I'm the one that always needs to be flexible and work around their needs because they get somewhere and then race off after an hour because their baby needs to go to bed. I just find it restrictive personally and I like to be a little more flexible with nap times. I also find that I'm starting to drift away because organising catch ups is just all too hard.

    I'm always at home for at least 1 nap (very often 2) and he sleeps well while out, I just need to replicate his out sleeping at home!
    Gah. I can't handle inflexible people who consistently put their baby over yours all the time. I don't mind taking turns with having a cranky kid but I'm not doing it all the time. I've got one friend with 1 child and insists that I meet her when it suits her when both my two kids sleep in the afternoon. I take it a step further and now don't even offer to catch up with rigid ppl.

    My eldest slept phenomenally when out. I'd get 2-3hrs out of her in the pram vs 1-2hrs at home. So I used to time 3-4 days a week her sleeps at the shops so I could run errands, have a coffee or watch a movie etc. I then discovered she didn't like to sleep in a quiet house. So I cranked up the radio and vacuumed or did other jobs at home.

    Also it's too hard to be rigid with more than one child. I've got two and expecting my third in oct. Next year I will have school and kindy drop off/pick ups. What chance in hell will my newborn have of exact sleeps? Anyway that's my bugbear.

    My suggestion is to have mornings where you guys are out and about. Midday sleep at home and if bub needs a late arvo sleep (both my girls never slept then) you can go for a walk and combine some exercise in it. My girls from 7-8mths started doing 2.5-3.5hrs at midday with a 30-40min AM nap and bedtime at 6pm.

  6. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,868
    Thanks
    5,192
    Thanked
    3,894
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    Thanks.

    He has a dummy but he sleeps fine with it at night and can easily go a full night without needing it back in, so I don't think that's the issue. He has one of those comforter things and I use the same routine for day and night sleeps. He isn't cold at the moment being summer either.

    As for solids he was doing really well, 2 good meals a day and I was about to start a third. He was starting to sleep through the night but then he got sick and wouldn't eat solids at all for a week. It's been difficult trying to get him back in to them again.

    I'll try dropping the third nap but I'm finding that he can't go til 6.30/7pm bedtime because of the catnapping, he's way too tired.
    Bring bedtime earlier for a bit then slowly push it back.

  7. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,600
    Thanks
    417
    Thanked
    825
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Gah. I can't handle inflexible people who consistently put their baby over yours all the time. I don't mind taking turns with having a cranky kid but I'm not doing it all the time. I've got one friend with 1 child and insists that I meet her when it suits her when both my two kids sleep in the afternoon. I take it a step further and now don't even offer to catch up with rigid ppl.

    My eldest slept phenomenally when out. I'd get 2-3hrs out of her in the pram vs 1-2hrs at home. So I used to time 3-4 days a week her sleeps at the shops so I could run errands, have a coffee or watch a movie etc. I then discovered she didn't like to sleep in a quiet house. So I cranked up the radio and vacuumed or did other jobs at home.

    Also it's too hard to be rigid with more than one child. I've got two and expecting my third in oct. Next year I will have school and kindy drop off/pick ups. What chance in hell will my newborn have of exact sleeps? Anyway that's my bugbear.

    My suggestion is to have mornings where you guys are out and about. Midday sleep at home and if bub needs a late arvo sleep (both my girls never slept then) you can go for a walk and combine some exercise in it. My girls from 7-8mths started doing 2.5-3.5hrs at midday with a 30-40min AM nap and bedtime at 6pm.
    Agreed! I only have 1 atm but all my friends only have 1 as well, it's my bugbear too. I get pretty sick of organising DS and myself, breastfeeding him/solids and having him take a nap before we go out so he isn't cranky, to just go out for an hour cos they have to go home. ****s me to tears!

    Good suggestion with the sleep times. Will give it a try. Will aso do the lunchtime nap at the same time every day at home and see if he will start doing longer stints then. I'm usually home then anyway, but depending on what we've done in the morning (if we've been out), if he's been sleeping like a trooper in his pram he's not always tired enough. Will give it a whirl though and see how it goes, 1 good sleep a day is all I need to get the housework done and have a little break to myself!

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Kimberley WA
    Posts
    4,620
    Thanks
    916
    Thanked
    1,179
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I disagree about being out and about the reason for catnapping. My bub went through a period of catnapping due to his colic tummy pains but he growing out of it and is much better. He nearly always sleeps properly through the day regardless whether we are home or out. I think routine is the key. He is put down at the same times each day so he knows his sleep time. Whether we are out in the pram or car or at home he will sleep if it's his nap time. I don't believe in staying home day in day out just so your little one can sleep, I'd get nothing done for a start. They need to be adaptable.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

    Pearlygirl  (11-03-2015),VicPark  (11-03-2015)

  10. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Kimberley WA
    Posts
    4,620
    Thanks
    916
    Thanked
    1,179
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ah Vic Park have you been reading the sleep sense book too or simular ? 😀 I got it out last week for a refresher. It's the best thing ever. Extensive but worth the read and following it certainly made life easier for me and made ds2 much more settled.

    Op I agree re the sleep aids VP has talked about and as I said earlier, perhaps you need to drop the sleeps to 2 rather than the 3.

  11. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,695
    Thanks
    1,391
    Thanked
    7,284
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    At 6 months, all mine were on 2 naps. I always went out for the morning nap, usually to the gym and they slept in the pram but made sure I was home for the afternoon one.

    Once my babies were down to one nap, I was/am one of those people who is home 99% of the time for naps. My kids slept/sleep longer in their cot and frankly, I think it's unfair on them if they don't sleep as well elsewhere to drag them around. Plus that's my time to sit, do chores, do washing etc and my 4yo has quiet time.

    but we always go out in the mornings. Every day. So it's not like we are housebound.

    My mothers group friends used to jokingly roll their eyes at me when I would leave places to go home for naps. But I don't care, neither do they. At least I'm not dealing with cranky, tired kids.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Catnapping
    By HollyGolightly81 in forum General Sleeping & Settling Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-11-2014, 15:25

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Pyjamas.com.au
With so many gorgeous brands and styles for every season, our pyjamas, nighties, robes, sleepsuits and sleeping bags are lovely for lights out and perfect for lazy days. Get 10% off first order using code bubhub. Be quick offer ends 31/12/16.
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Tribalance
TriBalance is a physio, yoga & pilates studio in Brisbane's inner north, offering specialised women's health physiotherapy services. Weekly pregnancy yoga classes are scheduled at the studio on Thursdays 1- 2pm and Saturdays 1-2:15pm.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!