+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How do I find out if a pool fence is compliant in NSW

Not sure where to put this but I need some help

I've rung council already and I've spoken to 3 different people on 3 separate occasions and no one can tell me!!

Basically our neighbours got a new fence put up due to their pool fence not being compliant. They are selling their house soon so they had to get it done.

We share the fence with them.

I have tried to find info on the nsw pool act but cannot find details of what is acceptable.

I rang council again today as the previous time I spoke to someone I was told that by my description of the fence, he didn't think that the fence was compliant!

He said it's supposed to have a 60degree angle on the middle horizontal framing so that kids couldn't jump the fence and use that as a 'step' over into the neighbouring yard with pool

The new fence doesn't have this!

Today I was told that a pool inspector would be the person to ask but *i* cannot get it booked in as it's not my pool, but the inspections were going to be done sometime from April due to the laws changing and all pools need to be inspected. I said they are selling the house and moving so what then? So she said they are not obliged to do anything before April. So I said well the new owners aren't going to get it done or pay for a fix and it's also not our cost and between now and then, what if my kids jump the fence and drowned in the meantime?

So she couldn't help me expect to say she can put a request for someone to come and inspect but it will cost the owner $250! He will be furious if I get someone to come and he has to pay for it and we cannot afford it.

Luckily my kids so far aren't climbers and I watch them like a hawk when they are playing outside but I still would like to get it sorted before they sell up, otherwise I fear it will never be resolved.

What are my options here?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Unfortunately you can't do much - it's been so disorganised that the government has actually pushed back the deadline until April 2016 for pools to be compliant as they have not finished writing the actual requirements or training the compliance officers!

The councils can't really help either so your neighbours ( or anyone) can sell their home ( as they have always been able) without a compliance certificate until next April, the only people I can recommend you trying to call are the office of local government on (02) 4428 4100 but I honestly don't think they can do anything - you will just have to make sure that your own side of the fence is compliant to be in the safe side

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, although I don't even know how I would do that. We have the 'ugly' side of the fence and I know the guy from council said something about the 60 degree angle but I am not sure how to do that I will have to make some enquiries.

What a muck around!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My mums house backs onto a reserve. When she got a new fence, they put the nice side facing the reserve and the ugly side facing my mums yard. They did this so no one has a ledge to hoist themselves over into her pool area. The ugly side has been fixed by more fencing, to look like the nice side, to prevent people using it to hop over the fence when in her backyard. The council has told her this is the correct way when she had council out to advise with her fencing. I hope you can understand my post and good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our neighbours have also put in a new pool. Their house is on the lower side of the street so the fence on our side isn't very high at all. They've put up bamboo to make for privacy - I don't think it would comply. I also don't see it as our cost. It's not our pool and we don't let the kids outside without us anyway.

From memory internal fences are 1.6m and external are 1.8m to comply.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm I have no idea what this 60 degrees is or the ugly side u are talking about?
    I have a pool in NSW that has been inspected and passed a few yes back. We have 5ft fencing. So 1500mm and nothing climbable may be around it. They actually advised us to remove a jasmine vine just in case which we did.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah a quick Google shows me this applies to timber fencing which we don't have. We have colourbond between the neighbours and standard pool fencing on the internal

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes a timber fence

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1425893859.478684.jpg

Couldnt you put wooden palings on your side (the bad side) of the fence also, therefore making it so theres no foot holds.
    As in the attached pic

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you report them to someone for having an unsafe fence?
    My ILs recently got new neighbours who believed my ILs pool fence wasn't up to code so they reported them to the council. Someone came out and had a look at it within a week (Vic - Melb).

*the fencing was fine and the neighbours are still whinging about it