+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default teaching a baby to crawl down steps or crawl/slide off couch

This is probably a dumb question but my son whos almost 11 months loves to climb things like the couch or steps and he gets down forward (hands first then legs) I've tried teaching him to slids down backwards so its a bit more safer... is it something they learn on their own or what? :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I persisted with teaching mine but there was certainly a component of learning through experience.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    My ds doesnt get it at all at 13 months. When he first started crawling he went backwards but he soon forgot! He can climb the stairs (3 steps) but they are way too dangerous for him to go down head first!

I've tried demonstrating to him and I think he understands but cant remember how to go backwards.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have one step up to the back of the house but we are also getting an extension which will result in the house having 5 or 6 steps. Obviously those steps will be guarded with a stair gate but when its just the one I'm not overly concerned. I just want to show him how to get down backwards so its a bit more safer. He climbs the couch too and anything else thats low enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I always just slid my Dd off the couch backwards until she remembered how to do it, or I'd pull her a little of the way until she kind of "dangled" and used her arms to slide the rest of the way until her feet touched the floor. Stairs she just doesn't understand and tries to walk down but it's just too dangerous so I am waiting until she's older and learns to turn around and go backwards.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DreamyMummy For This Useful Post:

debsch  (09-03-2015)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I always said "safety slide" in a very sing songy voice as I corrected her to cement it and in the hope that if she was ever out of arms reach near a step etc I could remind her to do her safety slide.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I did this with our boy as soon as he was able to get up on to the couch; I taught him how to get down again as I didn't really want him to teach himself by going head first and bumping his head.

I sat next to him on the couch and every time he made a move to go head first off the couch I would pat his bottom, turn him around 180 degrees, and say "bum first" (he knew the word bum, I wasn't sure if he understood the word feet). I only had to do this a few times before he started doing it himself and then did it for every thing even small steps where it would have been ok to go over head first.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Constant repetition and guiding him off backwards worked in this house - every time he looked like he wanted to get down, we made sure we helped him backwards, until he started doing it himself. Even now at 2 years, he still gets off our bed backwards, saying "Be careful!" as he goes.