+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh another thing that we did that might have helped was grow our own veggies, they tend to enjoy eating things straight out of the garden and even if you don't have a huge backyard you can grow quite a lot in pots - things like peas, beans, cherry tomatoes, fancy lettuces etc...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @misskittyfantastico and @delirium when you dont stress or make a fuss could I ask what you do? I try to stay calm but can feel the frustration building. DD turns into a blubbering mess and is impossible to calm down. I know my approach isn't great but I'm so over the fight so would happily take any suggestions

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll hold the stress then for a few more years.... I think at this point, I get involuntary knots in my stomach when I dish up food to him. I know in my head it's silly, but the complexities of meal times stress me out a bit. I take heed that he eats everything/well most things at kindy!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Botticelli For This Useful Post:

ICanDream  (08-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    @misskittyfantastico and @delirium when you dont stress or make a fuss could I ask what you do? I try to stay calm but can feel the frustration building. DD turns into a blubbering mess and is impossible to calm down. I know my approach isn't great but I'm so over the fight so would happily take any suggestions
    I guess I just made the decision early on that mealtimes were not going to be a battle ground in my house. I was quite a particular child growing up and my parents never made a fuss if I did or didn't eat my veggies. They'd just put them in a separate bowl next to my plate (I had a huge issue with things touching) and we'd eat dinner and they'd just take the usually uneaten bowl of veggies away without saying anything. Eventually I got curious and started trying things and by the time I was ten I ate pretty much anything. I just did/do the same thing with my kids.

I realise this is quite simplistic and I think I was fortunate in that I never thought my kids were totally lacking in nutrients so I never felt I had to force the issue or consult doctors or dieticians.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

ICanDream  (08-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I ask them to eat a few more bites or try the piece they aren't keen on. Then that's it. They get down from the table or continue to eat the vegies they like. We don't get angry or force them. My mentality is that I myself, that was a vego for a decade have some vegetables I still don't like.

My mother made me sit for literally hours while I sat crying trying to force down food I hated. I promised I would never do that. And at 10 and 7 mine eats lots of different vegies so I feel we've been fairly successful.
    Last edited by delirium; 08-03-2015 at 20:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are they allowed anything else if they don't eat their veg?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    So tonight they had rump, mash, carrot, broccoli and corn. I know they love those. Then I served them a couple of pieces of zucchini which they generally aren't fans of. So they didn't go hungry despite leaving the zucchini.

There have been times when they have only picked at their meal or have flat out said they didn't like it. After asking them to at least try it (which I find at least 50% of the time they keep eating) and they still don't want it, they can have some fruit, a sandwich or yogurt but they get no dessert. I know not everyone agrees with that and many believe kids should go hungry, but this is what has worked for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    I guess I just made the decision early on that mealtimes were not going to be a battle ground in my house. I was quite a particular child growing up and my parents never made a fuss if I did or didn't eat my veggies. They'd just put them in a separate bowl next to my plate (I had a huge issue with things touching) and we'd eat dinner and they'd just take the usually uneaten bowl of veggies away without saying anything. Eventually I got curious and started trying things and by the time I was ten I ate pretty much anything. I just did/do the same thing with my kids.

I realise this is quite simplistic and I think I was fortunate in that I never thought my kids were totally lacking in nutrients so I never felt I had to force the issue or consult doctors or dieticians.
    Yep. We will not have a battle a meal time either. If he eats it great if not fine. I just work on other areas of diet and don't worry about what I can't control. He loved Veges as a baby and just stopped.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wouldn't say either of my kids are fussy, but ds (almost 6yrs) has veggies that he really wasn't keen on (potatoes, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, tomato). He also didn't like boiled eggs, soup, grapes, bananas, and some other things. Because he ate just about every other veggie and fruit and was good with food in general I just let it go with the food he didn't like. After he turned 5 I started getting less patient with the fussiness and told him to eat it anyway (aside from tomato, which he genuinely really hates). It took a little while with each food, but now I don't alter his meals at all and he doesn't fuss about it either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @misskittyfantastico DD still has an umbilical hernia from when she was a baby so the paediatrician is more to check that out. I do want to ask for strategies as if it was up to DD shed eat nothing but crackers - she seems to crave salt which is odd as I don't cook with it.

So tonight we had schnitzel, DH and I had mashed potato and I made potato gems for the kids with peas and corn. DD refused the potato gems and peas but ate three corn kernels when I asked her so she had yoghurt. If she hadn't eaten the corn she wouldn't have got yoghurt.