+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bond Girl View Post
    I did the same, he had veg from the get go, loads of different types yet my 4yo is also now fussy and will only eat carrots. No other veggie. It's a normal developmental stage for many kids nit because they haven't been given them until later. My DD is also starting to go the same way at 18 months old, despite always having had them and being dished up healthy nutritious meals every day.

But to answer your question OP I know my nephew who was the pickiest eater for years is now 14 yrs old and eats all sorts, so he seems to have grown out of it!
    Thanks for saying the above. I have always given him veg and a wide variety of foods. He has become fussier as he's gotten older.

Your last sentence gives me hope! I love food, ALL food and all cuisines. My child will have no choice but to be served all sorts of wonderful food, there's no way I'm feeding him plain rice and cherry tomatoes every night forever!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My ds only ever ate bananas, grapes, peas and brocoli. He even hated honey carrots when he was young.

I continued to serve the same meals to him that we ate and didn't make a fuss. I his veggies in frittata and Savoury muffins etc.
    At 4 we had a deal, if he tasted a bit of everything on his plate he would get a small custard for dessert.

Now at 8, there is no custard. That stopped at 5/6. Now he just eats and eats anything he can get on his fork. And only refuses to eat avocado on it's own in a salad. In sandwiches etc is no prob. Apparently it's slimey.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    My kids were given vegies when solids were introduced therefore eat all vegies along with fruit and meat as it's what they have always eaten. If not introduced until later I would expect they probably would be fussy.
    Both my kids were given vegies and fruit when solids were introduced and scoffed them down. DS is great with fruit, bit ordinary on vegies. DD is a disaster, will not eat fruit at all and very little veg, she had the exact same start as DS but they eat so differently.

I'm still trying to unlock the secret of how to get her to eat better.
    @Botticelli, it started when my DD was about 2 as well, apparently this is when start to realise food can be a powerful thing they can attempt to control as it often gets the biggest reaction from parents. But I'm not sure I agree that ignoring it is the right approach either - we're off to the paediatrician in July for help.
    Last edited by ICanDream; 08-03-2015 at 20:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Mine are school age and love their veg. It's been a busy week and I'm so exhausted lately I have been making easy meals. Tonight I made steak and veg and the kids both gorged on the vegies saying they were feeling a bit sick from a lack of them lol

I served them several different types since they were babies but I followed a rule from early on I would serve the vegies they liked then one piece of something they weren't a fan of. My mother used to serve brussel sprouts then wonder why I wouldn't eat them. Work out the vegies your child likes and serve them, then encourage them to take one bite of a bean or piece of zucchini just to keep them trying new things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeWithLove View Post
    My ds only ever ate bananas, grapes, peas and brocoli. He even hated honey carrots when he was young.

I continued to serve the same meals to him that we ate and didn't make a fuss. I his veggies in frittata and Savoury muffins etc.
    At 4 we had a deal, if he tasted a bit of everything on his plate he would get a small custard for dessert.

Now at 8, there is no custard. That stopped at 5/6. Now he just eats and eats anything he can get on his fork. And only refuses to eat avocado on it's own in a salad. In sandwiches etc is no prob. Apparently it's slimey.
    This WILL be my son. I am SO hoping! That's great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Mine are school age and love their veg. It's been a busy week and I'm so exhausted lately I have been making easy meals. Tonight I made steak and veg and the kids both gorged on the vegies saying they were feeling a bit sick from a lack of them lol

I served them several different types since they were babies but I followed a rule from early on I would serve the vegies they liked then one piece of something they weren't a fan of. My mother used to serve brussel sprouts then wonder why I wouldn't eat them. Work out the vegies your child likes and serve them, then encourage them to take one bite of a bean or piece of zucchini just to keep them trying new things.
    Yes I do do that but every time I dish it up and try to make it look better on the plate, or cut it differently, or put just say, one small but of carrot... Whatever I do, I know I'll be throwing it away later.... (Well, I'm very bad at throwing out food so I'll either eat it myself, save it, or give it to the dog).

The he one thing that's sometimes effective is bribery.... 'You might get a treat tomorrow if you eat 5 peas' type thing. But only sometimes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    Both my kids were given vegies and fruit when solids were introduced and scoffed them down. DS is great with fruit, bit ordinary on vegies. DD is a disaster, will not eat fruit at all and very little veg, she had the exact same start as DS but they eat so differently.

I'm still trying to unlock the secret of how to get her to eat better.
    @Botticelli, it started when my DD was about 2 as well, apparently this is when start to realise food can be a powerful thing they can attempt to control as it often gets the biggest reaction from parents. But I'm not sure I agree that ignoring it is the right approach either - we're off to the paediatrician in July for help.
    Interesting! My son is such a control freak, it never occurred to me he was doing this as a control thing. He seems genuinely disgusted at the idea of eating veg!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Botticelli View Post
    Yes I do do that but every time I dish it up and try to make it look better on the plate, or cut it differently, or put just say, one small but of carrot... Whatever I do, I know I'll be throwing it away later.... (Well, I'm very bad at throwing out food so I'll either eat it myself, save it, or give it to the dog).

The he one thing that's sometimes effective is bribery.... 'You might get a treat tomorrow if you eat 5 peas' type thing. But only sometimes.
    I have started giving DD a little less meat (which she will eat) and when she asks for more she has to eat her carrots (which she does like) and a bit of potato. If she does she can have more meat. If she refuses then thats the end of dinner - no yoghurt or anything If she claims she's still hungry then she can have apple puree which is the closest thing to fruit she will eat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    My oldest will be ten this year and I fed her lovingly prepared, nutritious meals which she scoffed until she turned two and then she got a fairly big case of the fussies and began to refuse pretty much all veg except corn on the cob and raw carrot. I just persisted but tried not to make a big deal out of it. I basically continued to offer different veggies and fruit and meat etc... but lots of different ways and a lot of the time she'd refuse everything bar her corn and carrots but every so often we'd stumble on to something that she liked like raw shredded carrot, celery with cream cheese and broccoli lightly steamed tossed in garlic and olive oil. For a good few years she only really liked raw veggies and salad but in the last two years she's broadened her horizons and will eat pretty much all fruit and veg except avocado and banana.

So my advice would be, don't stress! Despite the "wisdom" of some, this isn't your doing. Just continue to enjoy mealtimes together, offer different things in different ways, encourage them to try something but don't punish if they decline, get them involved in meal prep and you might be surprised.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Botticelli View Post

Be patient. Don't stress over the piece if they don't eat it. Ask him to try it, but don't force him. imo don't make meal times a battle ground. It sounds like you are doing the right thing. Mine are 10 and 7 so older than yours and it wasn't until 5 or 6 they started to enjoy them.