+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Reflux or gas?

I have a 3 week old and am wondering how I can tell the difference between gas pains and reflux. At night bubs is extremely fussy, he m will wriggle and grunt a lot and suddenly burst out in a scream. Is fine mostly during the day. I can't get more than 2 hour sleeping blocks at night. Exhausted 😞 what are your experiences with gas and reflux? And is it quite normal at this young age or should I take him to the pediatrician? Tia x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Does he have any other reflux symptoms appart from irritability?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    My DD was constantly swallowing vomit back down and hated lying flat. She always got the hiccups, was congested and would cough, feeding issues and weight issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Also many babies with reflux also have bad gas, especially if it's caused by an intolerance to cows milk protein.

Is bub formula or breastfed?

I would first try using some infacol or infants friend to see if that works. Often if it's just gas and not reflux, one of these will help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He's breastfed. Sometimes I'll see him bring something up that obviously isn't real tasty but he doesn't seem bothered by it. Will lay flat all day except at night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep, what @A-Squared says, try the infacol and if its wind it'll work. My DD had reflux and now medicated is a different baby

She was chewing a lot on acid that came up into her mouth, would arch when feeding and wouldn't lie flat. One day she screamed from 8am-11pm........non stop

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    OP - I read a couple articles on the web that I found extremely useful when I had our newborn. Lots of people will offer advice and you have to sift through it all and find what is right for you and your bub. So take or leave the following

The advice in the articles linked below made sense to me and really helped calm my bub who seemed to struggle with breast milk after every feed, wriggling, grunting, spitting milk up and swallowing it again and eventually spewing... she wasn't a "happy chucker" like our 1st bub. I thought it was reflux but didn't know much about it so started reading up and found these articles...

http://www.babydoc.com.au/is-it-reflux-or-not/
    http://www.babydoc.com.au/faq/colic-...baby-to-sleep/
    and
    https://breastfeedingqueries.wordpre...with-the-wind/

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    My ds had mild reflux (and gas). You would hear him swallow stuff back down or bring up stuff into his mouth.

We used infants friend a lot for the gas and when the reflux was bad infant gaviscon. I also cut out a lot of foods that seemed to make it worse.

At around 4 months ds turned into a happy chucker and only recently at 13 months doesn't seem to have much reflux anymore (he was still spitting up heaps at 12 months).