+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default Totally scintillating milk question

I bought some full cream Paris Milk today with use by 15/03. I opened it and the top 1/8th of the bottle is like solid milk with 'normal' milk underneath it.

It smells fine. Is this like some fancy organic milk thing that I don't know about and I'm supposed to shake it or scrape the top off or something? I don't really want to give it to DS which sucks because I only have fat free other stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is the 'cream'. I scoop it out and throw it away. Some people eat it as is or use in cooking. You could also shake it up, but this would leave little lumpy bits throughout your milk.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 2giraffes For This Useful Post:

harvs  (07-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Ok.

I'm a little bit mortified by the fact that I didn't realise that :-) there's just so much of it.

Right so the label says pasteurised and non-homogenised. So my next question is - is it suitable for DS then?

I swear I have the worst luck with my milk purchases 😳 just finding full fat dairy at my woolies is a mission and a half.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's cream, most milk you buy undergoes a process (homogenisation) to make the cream be evenly distributed through the milk. Shake it up and it'll be fine. Warming it will help distribute the cream more.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to honey gold For This Useful Post:

harvs  (07-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It'll be fine for your son, it's pasteurised so no worry about bacteria.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Thanks everyone.

And thanks for not laughing at me for being 35 and not knowing this stuff :-p

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Thanks everyone.

And thanks for not laughing at me for being 35 and not knowing this stuff :-p
    You are not the only one! I think I only understand it now after the incident in the news a few months back when there was some info about pasteurisation and why it's important!

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's the best milk ever and I scoop the cream off and eat it. It's un homogenised so cream goes to the top. Yum. I fight to open the milk first to get the cream. In homogenised is better for us as the fat molecules are still in tacked and better absorbed by the body for vitamins and minerals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That's how milk was when I was a kid. When the milkman bought it to your door every morning in glass bottles with silver foil lids. I'm sooooooo old!!!!!

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyBovine View Post
    He will be fine. Give it a shake if you are concerned. I *think* the milk mum used to buy in glass bottles with aluminium tops wasn't homogenised as I can remember the layer of cream on top.

Some people think it is healthier, because it is more natural blah blah blah.
    You mean in the days when the milk choices were red top or blue top, the price of it was controlled and you got 3c back when you returned a bottle? *sigh* I remember those days.

I can't remember which colour it was but one of the colours always had more cream on top and if you were really lucky you could turn it upside down and the cream would hold the milk in place.