+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Husbands more likely than wives to seek divorce when partner falls ill

Did anyone else read about this study?

The researchers say the findings seem to indicate that a husband cannot cope with a poorly spouse.

Interesting reasearch. Any thoughts/experiences?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    A link to the study would be helpful but as a personal anecdote, I would have to say that I have found the opposite to be true. My DH has been nothing but supportive and accepting of my chronic illness which developed after we'd been together for over a decade.

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2981941/Husbands-likely-wives-seek-divorce-partner-falls-sick-says-study.html

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    my DH has been incredibly supportive of me. couldn't ask for more

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My husband has seen me through so many surgeries and illnesses and never complained .

Thanks
    Reviews
    My grandparents were married 50 years, and my grandmother unfortunately terminally ill for the last two.
    She was bed ridden and needed help with everything. Showering, toileting, eating.
    My Gramps was a wonderful man.
    He took care of her every single day and without a complaint, not because he was keeping them to himself, but because he really had no qualms about caring for the woman who had cared for him for 50 years.
    I always admired him watching how much he did for her...how much he WANTED to do for her.
    He suddenly got ill and passed away not long after her, he couldn't and didn't cope without her.
    I think she could've been in that state for 20 years and he would've stuck by her happily no matter what.
    Attached Images

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vampstorso For This Useful Post:

azelqra  (07-03-2015),HeavenBlue  (07-03-2015),KitiK  (07-03-2015),mascara sarah  (06-03-2015),munchkin275  (06-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vampstorso View Post
    My grandparents were married 50 years, and my grandmother unfortunately terminally ill for the last two.
    She was bed ridden and needed help with everything. Showering, toileting, eating.
    My Gramps was a wonderful man.
    He took care of her every single day and without a complaint, not because he was keeping them to himself, but because he really had no qualms about caring for the woman who had cared for him for 50 years.
    I always admired him watching how much he did for her...how much he WANTED to do for her.
    He suddenly got ill and passed away not long after her, he couldn't and didn't cope without her.
    I think she could've been in that state for 20 years and he would've stuck by her happily no matter what.
    This is a beautiful story and what a stunning wedding photo. Your grandparents sound like a wonderful couple

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (07-03-2015),vampstorso  (06-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    This is a beautiful story and what a stunning wedding photo. Your grandparents sound like a wonderful couple
    Thank you
    I miss them both so very, very, very much
    They were wonderful. Such different people but nothing could or did come between them!

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I know that in my work I talk to a lot of people who are caring for their partners, both men and woman. Just today I spoke to a man who was taking such lovely care of his wife, when I got off the phone I said to a colleague "wow, that man would have been such a great mum"(nothing remotely derogatory towards men/dads, but I know that this man was never a dad and for his advanced age was doing a lot of things that mothers would do at that time.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    My grandmother had to be put into a nursing home 13 years ago due to dementia & Alzheimers . She was getting violent to others and to herself. Every single day for that time, my grandad visited her twice a day. Even though she did not know who he was he was there. Spending hours every day for 12 years with her. He cared for her, she was in a home because of the violence but every single day he fed, bathed, read to her, massaged, took her for walks, everything he could. She passed away in January. We are scared for our grand dad now, its almost like he has given up, he has nothing to live for.

I think that regardless of gender. If the one you love is ill, you will move mountains to help.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bpac For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (06-03-2015)