+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Second lot of MMR at 18 months

I just took DS for his one year jabs and learned that in our area (SW London) they do the second MMR jab at 18 months because there's a history of measles outbreaks here. I did actually just read that MMR is given earlier if you live in an outbreak area, just wasn't expecting to actually be in one of those areas! I know any anxiety I have about the MMR jab is unfounded but just wanted to know if anybody had any articles or knowledge to put my mind completely at ease.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Im not knowledgeable as to why it was changed & data on the safety of the 2nd dose being given so much earlier, but juat wanted to say that in australia, the second dose is also given at 18months now. I totally get the anxiety around it - i just reminded myself that it is a positive thing - instead of worrying about 2 doses given by 18months, i thought about how great it is that my dd is fully protected from measles so much earlier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you want to feel better about it Google image measles. Look through the pictures. You will be begging for it to be done even sooner

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh really? I didn't know that! The two schedules are so different. The national schedule here is second at 3-4 years but apparently in areas of outbreak it's at 18 months. I assume maybe Australia changed it's schedule to help preempt outbreak? That makes me feel better knowing a full country does it earlier.