+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15

Default What Are Your Thoughts: Fined Based on %?

From News.com.au:

WOW. Talk about driving down the wrong road that day.In Finland, businessman Reima Kuisla has copped a mammoth $77,264 (€54,000) for going 103km/hr in an 80km/hr zone.
    There’s no doubt that the penalty was rather large by any speeding fines standard, and it’s not as if Mr Kuisla had some ridiculous amount of outstanding fines.
    Rather, Finland has an interesting policy where traffic fines aren’t a set amount. They’re based on how much money you earned. The idea is that even rich people will be stung by speeding fines, rather than brush off a $400 fine when your net worth is in the millions.
    Mr Kuisla, the BBC reported, earned $9.28 million (€6.5 million) according to 2013 tax return. Which puts the fine at about 0.80 per cent of his income.
    Mr Kuisla, as you may guess, is a tad annoyed at the exorbitant fine levelled at him. He wrote on his Facebook page: “Ten years ago, I wouldn’t have believed that I would seriously consider moving abroad. Finland is impossible to live in for certain kinds of people who have high incomes and wealth.”
    As the BBC pointed out, some of the less well off Finns aren’t taking his outrage well. They’ve responded on social media with comments such as “if you follow the rules, you won’t have to pay the fines” and “small fines won’t deter the rich”.
    Mr Kuisla is hardly the first rich Finn it’s happened to. In 2002, a Nokia bigwig on a €14 million salary had to pay €116,000 for speeding on his motorbike.
    Ouch.
    So I was reading a rather interesting debate about this on the Today Shows's FB page. (Totally where one would go for all intelligent debates )

Now of course I need to know Bubhub's take on it. What are your thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What Are Your Thoughts: Fined Based on %?

Interesting... I agree, in that the intent of fines are to deter a person from doing something - and that can only work if the fine would be a significant amount to that individual.

A few years ago the parking fine near my work was $15. I will admit that on a late day I would happily risk the fine (knowing I had parked nice and close rather than hunt around further away and then have to walk to work.). Now the fine is $45, I would not even consider it, so the intent if the fine (as a deterrent) worked perfectly on me.

I suppose the idea (of a % of income) is an interesting solution to manage this, and perhaps a good attempt. Maybe it is not 100% right (ie should there be a capped amount?) but hopefully as a country they can work through the issues to make it fair on all. No one bats an eyelid (in AUS) when a low income earner might cop a $100 or $200 fine (say speeding) but that might be their food for the week or fnight. I'm not sure that is any different for these rich people?

I wonder how long this type of fine calculation had been in place and how well publicised it is?

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's a very interesting concept, I quite like the idea. I found the guys outrage quite funny in that he believes Finland has become impossible to live in, ummm maybe if you weren't speeding lol. Imagine how much Gina Reinhardt's fine would be!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I also agree with it. I think it's fair and people such as low income earners won't have to "rob Peter to pay Paul".
    And, it will be more of a deterrent for higher income earners.

Obviously if we just don't break the law in the first place there is no issue.

I think on the other hand however it could have a few problems:
    - the perceived notion of revenue raising. Anyone driving a late model car and anything like a Bentley or a Mercedes might say they were targeted by police to increase revenue.
    - passing the fine on. A rich uncle might say to his nephew on the dole that he will give him $200 to say he was driving and take the fine, thereby reducing the fine amount.
    - stereotypically, a lot of the population who are caught speeding and hooning are young males. They may or may not have jobs- but if the fine was p

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (05-03-2015),Apple iPhart6  (05-03-2015),HillDweller  (05-03-2015),SuperGranny  (05-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Thanks dd

If the fine was percentage based it could lower it to what it already is (hypothetically, I don't think it actually would?) and would this be a deterrent to them at all?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (05-03-2015),HillDweller  (05-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Although (I will continue talking to myself)

According to Joe Hockey we poor people don't own cars anyway, so.... it's a bit of a moot point...

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (05-03-2015),BH-KatiesMum  (05-03-2015),HillDweller  (05-03-2015),Maia  (05-03-2015),Renn  (05-03-2015),SuperGranny  (05-03-2015),yadot  (05-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Mmm not a fan no.

Where do you draw the line on making people pay based on their wage %?
    Since the finish gvt control sells of alcohol and cigarettes why not change the price of these too? It's not like you need to drink and smoke.

The idea doesn't sit right with but I wouldn't want and live in Finland anyway!

Each to their own ;-)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I know a certain Australian business tycoon who used to complain that the police picked on him when he drove his zillion dollar sports car to work, so he took his helicopter instead.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (05-03-2015),SuperGranny  (05-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    At first I didn't support it, I thought a ticket was a ticket and should be the same fine. But upon reading and pondering I realised it's more about deterrent than punishment. A $200 fine in our household would really hurt. To a rich person it would be nothing. Obviously we don't speed bc it's against the law and dangerous, but we also don't speed bc we can't afford the fine. So it's a deterrent. Making the fine subjective to income creates a financial deterrent.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (05-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think its a great idea. I know some people who flout the speeding laws because they don't care if they get fined as its a drop in the bucket to them. Making it proportional to income would actually force them to take it seriously like the rest of us do.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (05-03-2015)