+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CompletelySavvy View Post
    In NSW dogs definitely. Cats, nope not at all
    Complaints about cats

Under NSW law, cats are allowed to roam free. Rangers cannot simply pick up stray cats – they might be someone's pet.

Rangers can only seize a cat in areas where they are prohibited, such as a wildlife protection area, commercial kitchen, restaurant or café. Rangers can also seize cats that have injured a person or another domestic animal.

Thats from Sydney council page. Looks like ive been fooled! I still dont like cats and if one was hanging around my property id want to get rid of it..a nice good spray with the hose should work

2. The Following User Says Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

MummaCat  (07-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sort of confused since Australian wildlife is protected EVERYWHERE (native Fauna is my first love). Hence why cats are such a problem...
    I wonder if thats the loophole then that allows them to be captured.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My BIL is a council ranger in Sydney - he gets complaints daily about cats, I think you can make a formal complaint against a cat and then they issue the owner with a warning letter and if the cat continues the behaviour ( usually noise ) they will fine the owner but you would have to know who the cat belongs too and have proof of what it's doing - I'll ask him but I think they actually do tell you to hose any cat that comes into your yard as a deterrent!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

MummaCat  (07-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CompletelySavvy View Post
    The companion animals act. Section 30 for roaming,
    http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/n...98174/s30.html

And section 32 for who can lawfully seize a cat
    http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/n...98174/s32.html
    You'll notice the only time a member of the general public can sieze a cat is IF it is for the protection of any person or animal...see below
    (1) Any person may lawfully seize a cat if that action is reasonable and necessary for the protection of any person or animal (other thanvermin) from injury or death.)

You can also get this information from your local council, pound or the District Local Government.
    I got this information from my place of work which happens to be a impounding facility. Have also studied the CAA extensively through my training. So i can assure you its not BS i decided to spew forth for the sake of it.

ETA: This is for NSW.
    The information you posted relates to cats in public areas. What about cats on private property, which is what I was talking about in my post? As the owner of my property I'm pretty sure I am within my rights to decide that other people's cats are not allowed to be there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Domestic animal act of Vic States that you can impound a cat or dog on private property without permission of its not the first time.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/v...94163/s23.html

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DarcyJ View Post
    The information you posted relates to cats in public areas. What about cats on private property, which is what I was talking about in my post? As the owner of my property I'm pretty sure I am within my rights to decide that other people's cats are not allowed to be there.
    You can choose that yes, but again its not illegal. Its a personal choice. There is nothing about private property because cats are legally allowed to roam. And it is still unlawful for you to trap/seize and take to the pound regardless of your personal choices. Any pound that accepts trapped cats that people dont want wandering onto their property etc is breaking the law. They may loan traps out but its not for joe blow to dump an owned cat into the pound system clogging it up and potentially having it be killed.

Ive given you NSW legislation and as i said you can also clarify it with your local council or pound. Or scroll up a PP has a paragraph from a council page.
    Last edited by MummaCat; 07-03-2015 at 07:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by vampstorso View Post
    Sort of confused since Australian wildlife is protected EVERYWHERE (native Fauna is my first love). Hence why cats are such a problem...
    I wonder if thats the loophole then that allows them to be captured.
    Unfortunately no. Many have tried.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    Complaints about cats

Under NSW law, cats are allowed to roam free. Rangers cannot simply pick up stray cats – they might be someone's pet.

Rangers can only seize a cat in areas where they are prohibited, such as a wildlife protection area, commercial kitchen, restaurant or café. Rangers can also seize cats that have injured a person or another domestic animal.

Thats from Sydney council page. Looks like ive been fooled! I still dont like cats and if one was hanging around my property id want to get rid of it..a nice good spray with the hose should work
    Lol yes..or some big mean looking dogs.

I have peoples cats hanging around too i know how annoying it is and i hate it im not disputing that. It just frustrates me seeing people say they'll trap someones cat take it to pound and potentially it gets killed. Thats harsh on the cat and the owners who are well within their rights to allow their cat outside.
    Leave the pound cages open for those who really need it. Like surrenders who get euthed on admission if there is no space for them.
    Whether you like cats or not its someone elses pet THEY like/love their pet.
    Last edited by MummaCat; 07-03-2015 at 07:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Update: after hearing me talk about cleaning poop from between our toddler's toes husband is heading to Bunnings today for a quick fix for the bottom of the fence between our house and house b. Hard plastic with zip ties. We are not going to wait for the neighbours. Then it will be their problem!

As for the cat, turns out the owners are away and the house sitters are letting it roam all night. Hoping it is back to being locked up at night when they get back.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Qwerty For This Useful Post:

MummaCat  (07-03-2015)