+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    the dog owner is responsible for keeping the dog in ...

BUT

a dividing fence is the responsibility of both owners - so if the fence is falling down through age, general wear and tear etc - then Owner B may be required to fund part of the repairs.

If the fence is falling down because the dogs dug around it, pushed it down etc - then its all Owner A

either way, if anything happened - it would be the fault of Owner A - but that doesnt help you at all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I think if you get a dog, it's your responsibility to dog proof all your boundaries.

Tell the owners you think the dogs are likely to get out on the road. If they love their dogs they should care enough to fix their boundaries.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Silly question but do house a know their dogs are getting out? Or are house b just putting them back to avoid discussion about fixing the fence?

If it were my dog I'd want my neighbour to come and say something so I can fix the problem myself, as I agree with the pps that it's my job to ensure my dog is appropriately contained on my property

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Okay - I spoke to owner last night and he was very receptive. He knew the dogs were getting out into House B's yard but it seems like the dogs can back in their yard so neither House A or B were too concerned about it. I mean, they were trying some temporary fixes between them but I guess didn't realise that now the dogs were getting out a bit further.

To fix it properly a large retaining wall needs to be re-done (it is probably 30 years old and falling apart). They are going to manage that between them. In the meantime my husband will try and fix up the one side of our fence at the bottom between our house and House B to stop them from getting underneath. A pain in the bum but it should solve our issue anyway.

Thanks all. It is tricky when you want to keep the peace but are also concerned about your property.

Now we just need to figure out how to get the cat from down the back to stop COMING IN OUR HOUSE AND FIGHTING OUR OLD CAT. Another battle for another day.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Qwerty For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (05-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good Result - at least they were receptive to it! Nothing worse than an irresponsible ****holish pet owner who thinks its not their problem

I've heard citrus peel can help deter cats? I'm not sure on the accuracy of that.
    ORR maybe let that dog hang in your yard for a bit and the cat might think twice hahaha

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dinky Doo For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (06-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think I might have to invest in a water pistol. I know that is cruel but this cat is totally mental! My poor old cat (that gets locked up at night) is dealing with those dogs and this bully cat now. Poor thing is scared poopless.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Squirting a cat with water isn't cruel really. Sure, they don't like it but it's not like it causes them any pain.
    If someone's cat got into my yard, it would most likely get killed by the dogs. But if we didn't have the dogs I'd be putting out traps and sending it to the council pound. It is illegal to allow your cat onto someone else's property, the same as it is for dogs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had problems with cats entering our backyard too. We went and bought one of those cat deterants that send out high frequency noises that only cats can hear when set off with the motion sensor. We bought it from bunnings for around $50 I think. Better than those crystals and sorts of stuff. It has batteries, or can be plugged into mains power. So just set it up, where you know the cat will go. Our cat is an inside cat, but does occasionally go outside, and she bolts if it goes off. Good luck with it. This will probably also deter the dogs too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you have high fences and is the cat jumping them? If theyre high, you can put an overhang facing into the outer yards at (i think) a 40 degree angle, and they cant jump over it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Frig!!!! My son just stepped in dog shiit! The dog did it on his play mat that his slide sits on. I'm very unhappy right now. Bare foot too.