+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Time to drop the morning nap?

DD is 18 months. She wakes early each morning, by 5:30am latest, and seems tired by 9:00 so she has a nap, for up to an hour or maybe a bit more. However, it's becoming a problem as now her afternoon nap is getting so late. It's 2:30 by the time she's going down, then up at between 3:30-4. And so bedtime is late!!! Can be 8pm by the time she's asleep which leaves precious little time to do anything (let alone sit and relax) when I need to get to sleep by 9pm to cope with the early starts.....

Should I force a shorter morning nap, so she might go down earlier in the afternoon? She always used to only have 30 min morning naps but they've got longer.

Or try to cut the morning one out? I find when she's had only one nap on some days she won't always sleep so well. She'll sleep for a shorter amount of time than her usual afternoon nap, so is really down on sleep and tired.

Suggestions?!? Thanks

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would like to have a later start to the day. could you give her a short breakfast, and then try for a little more sleep in the morning. ?? from memory, I think I had often a pattern of early morning breastfeed, then starting the day about 7, not much of a morning sleep, like from 10 or 11, to 1 , then early dinner about 5pm or 6pm and bedtime at 7, 7.30. at 18 mths I think most of the children had only one sleep most of the time. sometimes, there might be two sleeps. marie

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (05-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    By 18 months mine had dropped her day nap all together, but before that she was going down for one sleep in the middle of the day. Could you push her morning nap out as late as possible so she just ends up having the one big nap instead of two? You'll no doubt have the 5pm 'witching hour' to deal with but she will grow out of that xx

5. The Following User Says Thank You to amcyus For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (05-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 2yo has always had one nap - usually of about 2 hours, which has moved over the last year from 9am to 10am to 11am and has now just started climing out of her cot and has totally dropped her nap! All 4 weeks before her brother is due to arrive! I am knackered.

Anyway to answer your question, i would try to increase the length of the day nap and extend the time of nap over a couple of weeks. I encourage the longer daysleep by making the room dark and cool and not going in when she first grizzles - i leave her and usually get a bit longer. Good luck, its hard to work through!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KitiK For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (05-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Time to drop the morning nap?

A lot of bubs drop to one nap by 18 months. You may need to put bub to bed a little early though during the transition.

As for the early starts... That's probably a combination of:
    1) bub getting too much day sleep (my 1 year old will wake early if he has any more than 2 hours total during the day).
    AND
    2) putting bub to bed early (9am) for the first nap. This just reinforces the early rising. Try stretching out the morning nap longer and longer. At that age if you put bub to bed at 7pm and want bub to sleep until 7am you pretty much want to aim for at least 11:30-12ish for the day nap. Yep bub may be a bit grumpy for the first week of you stretching out naps but it's a week or two worth of pain to save a lifetime of the pain of early wake ups.
    Last edited by VicPark; 04-03-2015 at 16:54.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (05-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Mine all transitioned to 1 day sleep around 12mths.

Our routine is roughly.
    Up at 730
    Nap midday till 230
    Bed at 730

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    A lot of bubs drop to one nap by 18 months. You may need to put bub to bed a little early though during the transition.

As for the early starts... That's probably a combination of:
    1) bub getting too much day sleep (my 1 year old will wake early if he has any more than 2 hours total during the day).
    AND
    2) putting bub to bed early (9am) for the first nap. This just reinforces the early rising. Try stretching out the morning nap longer and longer. At that age if you put bub to bed at 7pm and want bub to sleep until 7am you pretty much want to aim for at least 11:30-12ish for the day nap. Yep bub may be a bit grumpy for the first week of you stretching out naps but it's a week or two worth of pain to save a lifetime of the pain of early wake ups.
    Interesting point 1 VP. This week DS has been waking around 5.30/6, it's been impossible to get him past 6 when normally he's more 6.30/7. He's full on chatting like it's a party. He's been having fairly long naps lately, 2-3 hours, which I didn't think was the problem since he's still up by 3.30 but maybe it could be. His molars are coming through though so his nights are even more unsettled right now.

Bondgirl--DS dropped his morning sleep around 12 months. He seemed like he needed it as he'd always fall asleep for an hour or so but then his afternoon sleep was impossible. Took about a week of pushing him through until 12/12.30 and now he's fine with it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (05-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first bub didn't drop his morning nap until 21 months old because of early rising too. In the end I had to force it on him. She seems to be the same....was sleeping until 6:30 ish until we moved to QLD last year (though waking heaps in the night), then as the mornings got lighter with no daylight savings she woke earlier too. Blackouts make no difference though. She now doesn't wake multiple times a night anymore, usually sleeps through, but can be up as early as 4:30 (!) and will not go back to sleep. I can try for an hour or more. Lately it's more like 5-5:30. Her 4yo brother has joined in and is waking up at 5:30 again too, even though he'd naturally stopped all that around age 2.5. I tried all sorts with him to stop early rising and none of it worked.

They don't seem able to sleep more than 10 hrs each. Ever. Maybe this is just normal for them. Even on days she's napped badly, like 2x 30 mins all day, she'll still wake early. On days she has had only one nap, of a couple of hours, she'll still wake early. So not sure if too much day sleep is causing early rising.

Anyway back to naps. I guess I need to gradually stretch her out to only 1. And hope she'll have at least 90 mins to 2 hrs. Hopefully going to bed earlier won't mean waking at 4am. She didn't go down til 8:15 last night and still up at 5:15 today. Not enough!!

Thanks guys

I

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Interesting point 1 VP. This week DS has been waking around 5.30/6, it's been impossible to get him past 6 when normally he's more 6.30/7. He's full on chatting like it's a party. He's been having fairly long naps lately, 2-3 hours, which I didn't think was the problem since he's still up by 3.30 but maybe it could be. His molars are coming through though so his nights are even more unsettled right now.
    Hey holly. What I do is google the average daily sleep needs. Say for an 18 month old it is 13.5 hours (can vary depending on your bub and what site you look at). Bub will only sleep 7pm-7am if the day nap is capped at 1.5 hours.

- keep in mind bubs sleep needs can vary - eg more or less for a development phase/illness etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi OP, all my bubs have risen at between 5-6am - still do, no matter what time they go to bed, which is fine. I definitely think it could be time to drop the first sleep. try and stretch out a little each day, only up to 10 mins a week, but honestly, I think 9 or 93o is fine for their one day sleep- if they wake at midday or thereabouts,/ it will naturally stretch out to 1130 or midday sleep time as they get older. For a while, bedtime may be a little earlier for, but that's okay. My little one (2.5years) still goes down at 5pm some days, then she sleeps thru til 5 or 530am. The cut off time for me for a day sleep is down by 1pm and must be up by 2, otherwise the night sleep time goes out the window. My 8 and 7 yr olds still do 6 til 6. all the best.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (05-03-2015)