+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Advice please

I have a sister who is currently going through some severe mental health issues possibly schizophrenic type undiagnosed anyway.
    She is currently staying with my mother along with her partner and two year old daughter.
    Now they are both early twenties and the partner doesn't have much going on upstairs and has been dealing with the mental health issues for the past few years. My niece however is showing signs of being severely traumatised by my sisters daily breakdowns and flip outs, the entire family is constantly trying to get my sister to some help and it's come to the point my mother applied for a jeo on Monday which is a formal request by the court she be assessed by a mental health professional. While she was out doing this and niece was in day care my sister had tried to overdose on lexapro and called an ambulance on herself. The hospital sent her home aware of the jeo and dr said she's just a little unhappy with current circumstances she'll be fine will make a follow up appt. wtf?! Anyhow my sister is completely flipping at the moment has been known even last week to throw niece in the car unrestrained and drive off like nobody's business. Niece is afraid of her and severely afraid of the bath and water she becomes extremely withdrawn and unresponsive at times and shakes uncontrollably. My mother is at a loss she's frightened for her daughter and her granddaughter. Worrying my sister could take off anytime with niece or worse.
    Any advice please 😥

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    wow. can you call lifeline or someone who knows how to deal with this situation ?? I would be thinking of the police ? is there someway to get the little one to a safe place. ?? I hope someone comes to your aid quickly. marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think you need to contact child protection, there are different numbers for different states.
    http://www.aihw.gov.au/child-protection/

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (04-03-2015),WiseOldOwl  (04-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I'm not sure the right route to go about handling this as I have no experience but I wanted to offer hugs. Is there any way your niece could come stay with you for a bit?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would have my sister on my door dragging her straight back in to her cyclone. she's a 12 hour drive away in Mackay. Am waiting on a call back from mental health at the hospital

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    For your nieces sake I would be reporting her to docs. She needs help.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (04-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If your niece is in danger she needs to be removed from the situation immediately, even if it is only temporarily while your sister is assessed and stabilized. Please contact DOCS.