+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGranny View Post
    do you think he might settle with a bottle of ebm, ?? you have been trying to get him used to a bottle? perhaps this would be time to try that. ?? every new thing should take about two weeks to get into a pattern, so don't give up too quickly with his settling routine. marie.
    Im happy to try it

Yes ive been trying to get him onto a bottle/cup for the last month but he wont take it. Im trying to teach him to drink from a straw

Thanks
    Reviews
    He had a big solids feed tonight (finally) & a good breastfeed & now we still have hysterical screaming in bed. not sure why he wont settle without another breastfeed
    Last edited by heartstringz; 05-03-2015 at 18:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Wont settle in the evening without feeding to sleep

Maybe he has pain or is over tired or is so used to being fed to sleep at night that he has learned to crack the ****s until he gets what he wants.

How did your day go in terms of morning wake up, nap times etc what time did you do solids, bath milk attempt bed etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just something to try (and I know when you're desperate you sometimes will try anything) - water. I know your issue is in the evening but...

Our bub, now 7 months, used to feed once in the night at about 3am, then again at 5am. Then after starting solids and getting the runs she started waking up at 1am as well. So after a few nights I tried water in a bottle, just a plain water bottle with one of those pull-up spouts. She was six months and drinking water during the day as well so I thought I'd give it a try. When she woke I would check her bum (shine a little torch in there ), give her a cuddle, and while she was still upright in my arms I'd drink a sip of water then offer her some, then put her down back in her cot. (And rinse & repeat if necessary.) After a few nights of this she dropped the 1am wake-up. Then a week or so later I did the same with the 3am wake up and for the last few nights she has slept through to her 5am wake-up. I know she can do 11/12 hours, because she has in the past, so in a few weeks I'll try the same at her 5am wake-up.

Anyway, like I said, it's just something to try if you're up to it. Check his bum, give a cuddle, offer water, back in bed and leave. Go back after a minute (60 long seconds) and do the same again.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to debsch For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (05-03-2015)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Can I ask, what is your concern with feeding him to sleep? The reason I ask is that from my years of reading people's experiences and my own children, it is very normal for babies to want to be fed to sleep and/or very normal for them to want extra breastfeeds before sleep. Also, given breastmilk has properties to help babies to sleep, it would be a biological norm that babies are fed to sleep. There's no judgement, I'm just wondering what your issue with feeding a baby to sleep is.

Having had my own very challenging baby I understand that the thought of another breastfeed at that time of the day doesn't really thrill you but if is still working, feeding so sleep is such a gentle method to get baby to sleep. (What I mean is that if you continue to breastfeed your baby will very likely get to a stage where feeding won't send them to sleep anymore.)

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

CMF  (07-03-2015),HollyGolightly81  (07-03-2015),Lincolns mummy  (07-03-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (07-03-2015),SpecialPatrolGroup  (07-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sounds he is hungry to me. I would feed to sleep and just go with he flow. He won't do it forever.
    Is there a reason you don't want to feed to sleep?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

SpecialPatrolGroup  (07-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    ... but if is still working, feeding so sleep is such a gentle method to get baby to sleep. (What I mean is that if you continue to breastfeed your baby will very likely get to a stage where feeding won't send them to sleep anymore.)
    This is what I did with our 1st and it was wonderful! I fed to sleep for naps and at bed time and when he woke during the night. It worked for a long time, a year perhaps, I can't remember.

I don't feed our 2nd bub to sleep any more though. I did when she was newborn but stopped for various reasons around the 3 month mark I think. You do what works for you and your bub.