+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Wont settle in the evening without feeding to sleep

Responsive settling works for ds during the day, mostly he settles himself with no help.

However for some reason im still struggling to get him down in the evening, he wants to feed to sleep. This is something we have never done & something im not willing to start so im not sure what to do. How do i get him down?

I do his bath, a quick story then a breastfeed then straight to bed, then he mostly rolls around babbling at first (so i just leave him) then starts screaming. He wont settle with patting & shushing & will only settle if i get him up & breastfeed him again. Like 30 mins to an hour after his last feed (depending on how long i try to settle him for) so i doubt he's hungry.

Has never taken a dummy & doesnt seem interested in a comforter.

No idea what to do, if i dont breastfeed him to sleep he wont stop screaming.
    Last edited by heartstringz; 03-03-2015 at 19:01.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Is he still hungry? I know you were having trouble getting him into solids. How is that going?

Can you feed him until the edge of sleep then gently take him off the breast?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont know if hes still hungry. He has a good feed before i put him down initially. Hes still barely eating solids, maybe one or two mouthfuls each meal.

Ive been feeding him to the edge of sleep but thats what he wants every time now, dh cant put him to sleep in the evening now which is a problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry I have no advice. But I'm there with you. My 6 month old DD is exactly the same. She has always liked being rocked to sleep and the last couple of weeks she just wants to go to sleep with the bottle or the breast. Even though I know she's full. She gets very cranky when I take her off while sleepy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My son goes off pretty easily to the Coldplay lullabies ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1425376332.812270.jpg

I don't know if that's something you would be willing to try

6. The Following User Says Thank You to azelqra For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (03-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would just go with it. It may just be a little phase, but if he's going to get really upset if you don't feed to sleep I personally would give him what he's needs. Try to unlatch him when the sucking slows down and gets fluttery as he falls asleep, then replace with rocking/patting...then back on the breast again if he fusses. Keep repeating until he's asleep and you can put him down.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (03-03-2015),HollyGolightly81  (04-03-2015),mrswhitehouse  (03-03-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (04-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Has your DH lost his touch??

Subbing as my DS feeds for ALL sleeps

Edited: just saw you said your DH can't settle him at night anymore Why not?
    Last edited by A-Squared; 03-03-2015 at 21:42.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (04-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

1. Hunger. I know you're having problems but see your MACH clinic for help in upping solids. At your bubs age he needs to start eating more and drinking less. Perhaps at first bub was refusing solids for a reason but by now not having room due to all the milk intake is probably playing a role too.

2. Day sleeps. Not settling at night could be a sign bub is havig too much day sleep/getting up from the last day nap too late.

3. Comforter - what style do you have? A teddy head with cloth? these thins can take a few weeks to come to fruition. Use the comforter at severy sleep and only at sleep time. If you are swaddling stop. Give it at least 2 weeks of solid consistency before giving up.

4. Have at least 20 minutes active play after the last milk feed before bed. Feeding so close to nap time whether it was your intention or not bub has developed a negative sleep association with feeding - negative in the sense bub can't self settle and needs Human intervention to get to sleep. If you want to break the habit stop doing it. Do a shush/pat technique (bub in cot lying down)?instead being careful to stop before bub nods off. There may be a bit of protesting just stick with it and bub will fall asleep.
    Last edited by VicPark; 04-03-2015 at 05:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A-Squared dh can usually get him down using responsive settling but cant in the evening. Ds is only happy if he has a breastfeed.

VicPark thanks for that. I had a child health nurse visit last week to help with solids & at least he is eating something now, even if it is only a tiny bit. I guess ill just keep offering & hope the amount he is eating increases.

He still doesnt seem to understand that it is food. Like ill sit & eat with him, he'll only eat maybe one or two tiny mouthfuls then just plays with it. Then ten minutes later he wants a breastfeed & he feeds like he's ravernous.

The comforter is a teddy head cloth, he loves playing with it but doesnt seem to want to sleep with it. I dont mind if he doesnt want a comforter but ill keep trying

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    do you think he might settle with a bottle of ebm, ?? you have been trying to get him used to a bottle? perhaps this would be time to try that. ?? every new thing should take about two weeks to get into a pattern, so don't give up too quickly with his settling routine. marie.