+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Encouragement and Sleep/Feed ideas for 7mo

I have a dd who's 7.5 mths. I'm at the point where lack of sleep is really affecting my relationships with all the people I care about, and want to hear some others stories about sleeping and feeding and maybe some ideas to try.

My LO is bottle fed, and had always went to sleep in the bed pretty well. As soon as she was full you just put her into bed and she'd go off to sleep quite easily, maybe occasionally 10 mins of a grizzly cry (not really upset). At 3.5mths we had some big problems with feeding, and I found if I waited until she was sleepy, it would take me only 20 mins for her to drink the same amount of milk that I could spend the whole time she was awake trying to get her to drink. (Tried feed-play-sleep wasn't working anymore, now it's play-solids-play-milk-sleep).

I'm just wondering how others have taught their LO's to drink bottle themselves? I can't get her to but I know she can hold it.

Also wondering how others have taught their little ones to sleep in their own bed without too much crying.

She is a pretty clingy baby, but I want to help her become more independent.

I just feel a bit out of my depth.

Thanks!
    Last edited by mmckenzie1286; 03-03-2015 at 16:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Encouragement and Sleep/Feed ideas for 7mo

1. Follow eat play sleep not eat play eat sleep. Have at least 20 mins of active play before bed time. Feeding too close to bedtime can cause a negative sleep association which can affect bubs ability to self settle and sleep through.

2. Use a comforter at every sleep and only at sleep time.

3. How many bottles is bub having? Perhaps bub doesn't need as much milk or that lat bottle? Have a big gap between solids and the night bottle. Eg dinner at 5pm, night bottle 6:30, 6:40 quick play 7pm bed.

4. Solids. If bub is not eating much see your GP/MACH clinic to help improve this. If you are following baby led weaning try and supplement this with spoonfulls of mush - BLW can tire certain babies out and they don't eat enough to keep their tummies full.
    Last edited by VicPark; 04-03-2015 at 05:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think I was as clear as I could have been. It's not that I want her to not be attached to me, but I can't get her to do anything without touching me. A lot of the time she won't even play on the floor with me sitting next to her, let alone in the same room, she just wants to be sitting on me. Often won't go to other carers at all, will just cry for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That clingy attached behaviour is pretty normal right till kindergarten age for some kids especially 6-36mths. It's called separation anxiety and different kids grow out if it differently. There is little you can do about that.

I always did the feed-play-feed- sleep with my two and they have become the most independent little munchkins now. If you have to leave your bub to do errands/jobs/housework... Talk to your baby the whole time. Let them hear you reassure them that you are coming back and are nearby. Otherwise get a carrier and continue your day with your baby.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (04-03-2015)