+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Childcare lunches and other

Hi ladies,
    I need some help with healthy but easy lunches. DS is more than likely starting day care for 1 day a week in the next couple of weeks. I am freaking out! 1. He's my baby 😢 2. Routine changes. 3. Healthy lunches!

DS turned 1 in February. He would normally have a sandwich, rice cakes and a bit of fruit for lunch.

I'm looking for other ideas, like some savoury muffin recipes, what you would put on sandwiches, slices etc.
    I'm happy to try him on wraps (he likes wraps with chicken, avocado and cheese toasted lol

It is a nut free centre. I'd prefer to have majority homemade meals. He absolutely loves his rice cakes so they will most likely stay.

He would normal have a bottle in his cot while we read to him and then falls asleep, but I understand that it's not realistic in a childcare setting so I'm working on changing that. I'm worried about his sleeping - he refuses to sleep if something is going on. If he doesn't sleep as u can imagine it's a meltdown.

I'm also EXTREMELY worried... When he gets frustrated with a toy or something he tries to bite it. We usually just take the toy away and say no we don't bite things but I'm so worried he will bite another child! I don't want him to be THAT child.

I'm just also so nervous that it's not a good thing. He's young and I will still be home, it's sounds selfish but it will help me get back into study and give me time to myself, but I think he misses out with the lack of kids his age to play with (all friends have kids much older or much younger) I'm just so scared!

I'm so sorry for the rambling on!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quiche, make mini ones in a muffin tin

The centre should have a policy on biting. Ask to see it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mkj View Post
    Quiche, make mini ones in a muffin tin

The centre should have a policy on biting. Ask to see it.
    I didn't even think of quiche lol thanks!

I didn't even think if that! Thank you! I've worked in childcare and everything I've known has gone out the window! All I can think is DS is going to be upset and crying all day 😓

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter adapted far better than I expected to childcare. She was very specific about how she'd sleep, and she's gotten used to doing things their way (at least some of the time).

As for food:
    -Zucchini slice (I use this one, minus the bacon, half the cheese, use wholemeal flour, add extra veg, oregano and pepper http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/5546/zucchini+slice)
    -Mini muffins (http://www.thingsforboys.com/2011/07...ave-about.html Again, I use wholemeal flour). DD loves them with any combination of corn, carrot, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, red capsicum
    -Fried rice, couscous with grated/chopped veg (DD loves couscous with a yoghurt & lemon sauce), stir fry with rice, pasta, pasta salad...the great thing about messy dishes is that you won't be the one cleaning them up

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Tuna or salmon rice balls ( tinned or fresh flaked fish mixed with rice, cheese, herbs and garlic and rolled in bread crumbs - large meatball size - and either baked or shallow fried )

Wraps - avocado, spinach, cheese and Turkey or falafel tabouli and tzatiki or tuna, egg salad and spinach

Zucchini slice made in muffin tins

Antipasto plate - chopped up olives/cherry tomatoes/capsicum/feta cheese /cucumber /boiled egg sliced turkey or chicken etc

Various home made chicken or veggie nuggets

Mini frittatas

Homemade Chicken or fish fingers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mild curry w sticky rice
    Mini quiche/ zucchini slice
    Mini meatballs
    Grated cheese w cherry tomatoes/ shredded chicken
    Hommus and veg sticks
    Banana bread mini muffins

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also used to send Greek yogurt w frozen berries, though lately I've switched to cut strawberries. And a container of other fruit too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Don't stress about the biting. I was the mummy of a biter and it's age appropriate and nothing you do will change it. Not wanting to be THAT child is putting unrealistic expectations on them. It's better to bite toys than people they need the physical sensation so say no when he's biting you or a child but it's ok to bite a toy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you ladies! These are excellent! He's been so fussy with his food lately I need all the suggestions I can get! Lol, changing the way he goes to sleep I'm hoping won't be too hard, I know he can very noisy when he is over tired or not quite ready for bed so Id hate for him to wake other babies. But I guess it's not my worry really..
    @Renn thank you, that's reassuring. He gets so excited when he sees or hears other kids I can only hope it means he will have a great time. We are at the other end of the street so at least I know if he has a really bad time I am not far away.

Thank you @lilypily it really is out of frustration so I don't think he's aggressive in that sense. It's just scary! I would feel terrible if he bit another child.

Another question.. The centre is a small centre. 20 children a day. They are all together. Not separate rooms for age groups, the exception being a room for babies to sleep with cots. Does anyone have experience in a centre like this? I'm not overly concerned about it, just wondering what other parents think of it.