+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Smile Did DHEA make your egg quality worse?

Hi ladies

I'm new here. I'm hoping someone can give me some insight I haven't been able to find on Dr Google.

I've just had my first antagonist cycle at a new clinic after 3 unsuccessful long down reg cycles at my old clinic. At the time of egg retrieval (last Friday) I had been taking DHEA for 12 weeks. I've had my worst results ever. I knew to expect less eggs because I've heard the antagonist protocol usually produces less than long down reg, but I was hoping for better quality, both because of the antagonist protocol and the DHEA. I went from getting 5-6 eggs with about 75-100% fertilisation on the LDR protocol and at least one 8 cell embryo to transfer on day 3 to getting 3 eggs on the antagonist protocol with one fertilising and that embryo was 4 cells on day 3.

I'm very unsure as to whether to continue with the DHEA. I'm 42yo and don't have PCOS. I checked my DHEA and testosterone levels before starting DHEA and they were below normal range so i thought I would be a good candidate to use it. I should add that I took 50mg per day for 6 weeks then after getting thinning hair I went down to 25mg a day for the last 6 weeks (with my FS's blessing). I still get greasy hair and pimples on the lower dose.

Has anyone had a similar thing happen and what did you do or what advice did you get? Should I stop taking DHEA or give it longer? Could it be that i'm a better responder to the long down reg protocol and I should change back to that protocol, or have I perhaps just had a bad month..?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for any answers!

GE
    Last edited by Golden Egg; 03-03-2015 at 07:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I used DHEA on my last own egg cycle. I was on it for 6 months prior to cycling. I had previously done antagonist cycles and gotten 14 eggs each and every time, transferred 2 embryos with nothing to freeze and all BFN's. On my last OE cycle I changed FS because my previous one refused to use DHEA (said I wasn't a candidate based on egg numbers). On this cycle I got 13 eggs and by day 5 had nothing left to tx. So I would say yes DHEA made my egg quality worse.. (We also used melatonin, HGH and a mix of menopor and gonal F on long down reg. cycle)
    The follow up advice from my new FS was to go Donor egg as 'I was wasting my time and money'. It took two DE cycles overseas on an immune protocol but we finally have our BFP!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it made mine worse. I did one cycle at age 28 and got 5 fantastic quality eggs. For some reason they gave me DHEA for the next one. I got 13 really poor eggs. The one after I got 4 poor eggs and the one after I got 2, but luckily got pregnant.
    3 years later I started again without DHEA and got 6 good quality eggs and got pregnant first time. I still don't know why they put me on it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for taking the time to reply ladies and congratulations to both of you on your BFPs!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just want to update this post for anyone interested in the topic. I've been on DHEA for about 7 months now. After the terrible antagonist cycle I mentioned above, I went on to have a flare cycle in March from which I got 9 eggs, with 8 fertilised and 3 blastocysts. I got a BFP from an FET in April but had a miscarriage at 6 weeks. The eggs I produced looked to be good quality. I'm now 43 and currently doing another flare cycle and I have 7 or 8 mature follicles and am hopeful of some decent eggs. Sooo, i conclude from all that that the DHEA was not the problem back in February. It might have been that the DHEA hadn't had long enough to work and so it was just my age, or that the antagonist protocol didn't agree with me. Given my pretty good results since (better egg quality and egg numbers than I got even last year), I'm inclined to think that the DHEA is in fact working for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Egg View Post
    I just want to update this post for anyone interested in the topic. I've been on DHEA for about 7 months now. After the terrible antagonist cycle I mentioned above, I went on to have a flare cycle in March from which I got 9 eggs, with 8 fertilised and 3 blastocysts. I got a BFP from an FET in April but had a miscarriage at 6 weeks. The eggs I produced looked to be good quality. I'm now 43 and currently doing another flare cycle and I have 7 or 8 mature follicles and am hopeful of some decent eggs. Sooo, i conclude from all that that the DHEA was not the problem back in February. It might have been that the DHEA hadn't had long enough to work and so it was just my age, or that the antagonist protocol didn't agree with me. Given my pretty good results since (better egg quality and egg numbers than I got even last year), I'm inclined to think that the DHEA is in fact working for me.
    thanks for the update Golden egg I am still tossing up if I should use it or not. As you say it takes a while to take affect and I don't have 6 months to wait. Will be 41 soon. Good luck with your bfp.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks snickers. I think it's absolutely worth a shot, particularly if you're naturally low in testosterone and DHEA-S. Good luck to you, too.