+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Blood pressure advice needed

Hi I just have a question regarding blood pressure.

We had our 20 week scan today & a doctors appt straight afterwards.

At my last appt my blood pressure was 140/90 & today it had jumped to 150/100.

The doctor was concerned so gave me some blood pressure medication & told me to start taking it tonight. I was also told to buy a blood pressure monitor/machine to monitor twice a day.

I haven't yet taken any of the tablets. We decided to test the machine we bought & it said it was 117/80 & then the second one said 125/85. This was done a few hours after our appt.

These are obviously very different readings! Has anyone ever had this happen before?? I'm worried if I take the medication with 'normal' blood pressure it may drop to a dangerous level but don't want to not take it & our machine is wrong!!

I wasn't anymore nervous than what I normally am while at our appt today. I have been way more nervous before with much lower readings.

Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The same thing happened to me but I was using the machine at the chemist. It turned out to be way off. The drs one was the most accurate.
    I wouldn't not take the medication based on those readings. Could you go into a local dr to get tested every day? It's really really important to get your blood pressure down so you need to make sure the one you're using is accurate. Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to moosey For This Useful Post:

Rocky27  (02-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have lots of experience with high blood pressure unfortunately.

I would personally take the meds but continue to take regular readings. Keep a diary of your readings for a couple of days.

If it's well below 120/80, go back to your doctor to discuss whether the meds are necessary.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Rocky27  (02-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Moosey, thanks for that, I was just so confused with such different readings & now didn't know what to do!

He wanted it checked twice a day. We've only just moved here yesterday but might have to try & find a GP to see if there's much difference or not?

At the same token I don't want our machine to show great readings & it really be high. I have to call the doctor on Wed to let him know what the readings were each day & want to give accurate information.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I've been on BP medication for about 15 years and if I were you I would take the prescribed meds. I would also keep a record of your daily BP, even take it twice a day, morning and evening (and write both down) for one week and if it's consistently under 120/80 I'd go back to the Dr and have a chat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have chronic high Bp which is exacerbated during pregnancy.

Fluctuations are very normal. I would start taking the meds straight away. It is very easily managed with medication. Try not to get too hooked up on taking a reading all the time once it's managed.

I take 4 methyldopa a day and so far so good. Last pregnsncy I was up to 8 until they swapped me to nefedepeine.
    Last edited by babyla; 02-03-2015 at 19:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Your bp will vary throughout the day, and different machines can be a bit different. It is not uncommon to have a higher reading when at the dr.
    My DH always had high readings when he saw his GP and they were keen to start him on medication- but instead did a 24hr bp monitoring- so he wore a portable monitor for 24hrs at home which took bp readings every 30mins or so, and it came back that his bp was completely normal.
    I would phone the dr tomorrow, let them know the readings you have had and ask if they want you to take the medication.
    You could also take your monitor to the dr's and see if they get same reading as you at the same time.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

Redcorset  (03-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, just a side note - check your health insurance if you have it. DH claimed his BP monitor on it and got it completely paid for. It was well over $100 and that was some years ago now on sale. He did need the receipt and a doctor's letter confirming his condition.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Blood pressure advice needed

Did the dr take it manually? 150/100 is pretty high. I had early onset high Bp when I was pregnant, it was picked up in a routine appointment at 15 weeks and by 17 weeks I was on meds. It progressively got harder to control and I was on bedrest and a pile of meds to try and control it.

Are you near a pharmacy? You could get the pharmacist to take it and see what it is. It's good to get in the habit of writing down the readings so you can show the dr.

I'd def be taking the meds, high BP can be really dangerous in pregnancy and you don't muck around with it. It's best to get onto it early before it gets out of control.
    Last edited by Clementine Grace; 02-03-2015 at 19:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have noticed that electronic bp machines are way off. At home I measure at 120/70 nearly all the time, but at Dr 90/50. They also need calibration once a year.
    a dr once told me to take 3 consecutive measurements and take the middle one. Nothing better than the old hand held one. Best of luck