+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Food for long trip

I'm just wanting some ideas for things I can make to take on our long driving trip. DH and I are driving to SA though NSW/VIC and I'm fairly certain most of the food we'll encounter on the way will be fried or really fatty (yay truck stops and fast food). Now I know there are really strict quarantine laws going south so fresh fruit and veg is out (although I still plan to cut up some carrot sticks to take).

The only things I can think of are biscuits and the like. Neither of us are big into muffins etc, so savoury muffins won't really work but anything else like quiche/sausage rolls aren't really that great when eaten cold.

I was thinking about making some rice paper rolls, but how long will they keep for? I've never made them before so have no idea, but they look quite simple to make.

I'm not a whiz in the kitchen like some, so I really have no idea. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I always do sandwhiches and fruit, then standards go out the window and some lollies and/or chips are offered as bribes to make the drive more bearable.

If you do want fruit there is always the option of stopping at roadside stalls along the way and just purchasing what you are going to consume then and there sort of thing.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (02-03-2015),M'LadyEm  (02-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    We're in the car a lot and my usual standby snacks/food are:
    Nuts
    Dried fruit
    Popcorn
    Veggie sticks
    Rice crackers
    Snadwiches/rolls or wraps to go in an esky
    We'll always do at least one road house stop too for something suitably revolting that the kids MUST have

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (02-03-2015),M'LadyEm  (02-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks @HappyBovine. Unfortunately we will be going through the fruit fly exclusion zone, so we prob won't bother with fresh fruit. When I was looking at the interstate quarantine government website it says that you can't take fresh fruit or veg from QLD to NSW/VIC/SA, or at the least you need a permit to do so. We do get fruit flies occasionally (one of the F&V shops we go to often has fruit flies around the cut melons 😕) so I am reluctant to risk it. I've done the drive before, but the last time was close to 10yrs ago now so I can't even remember.

DH is being a total PITA and saying he doesn't care, he doesn't like to eat while driving etc etc. I think he's forgetting that we'll be spending between 10-12hrs in the car and really only stopping to use a toilet, get petrol and eat lunch. We'll be leaving Brisbane early in the morning, so even if we eat breakfast first, it's going to be between 5-6am. We also don't have a small esky so I'm relying on the cold insulated bags from Coles for our stuff. I think maybe if I just take nuts and make some biscuits it might have to do. Possibly even some ham sandwiches. I don't want to make so much stuff we have heaps, but I also don't want to take not enough stuff and get hungry in the middle of nowhere!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (02-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I always make veg pizza scrolls
    Sesame snaps, muesli bars and take some crackers and dip (dip in a cooler bag with our drinks)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

M'LadyEm  (02-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I also buy a bulk lot of raw peanuts and cashews then I season them myself and make hot and spicy nuts and also a honey batch.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

M'LadyEm  (02-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    Remember you can always take fruit to eat in the car and then dispose of it in the quarantine bins on the sa border.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxwell's Silver Hammer For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (02-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell's Silver Hammer View Post
    Remember you can always take fruit to eat in the car and then dispose of it in the quarantine bins on the sa border.
    This is what we did.

However, on your drive you will come across a lot of big towns. They usually have a supermarket and/or a little cafe. We just did a 8 night road trip through SA and VIC, and not once did we stop at a truck stop or fast food outlet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    The fruit fly zone is in the south of NSW, so you will definitely be able to get through all of Qld and most of NSW before you can't have fruit (there is no issue with crossing the Qld/NSW border).

Most places you will go through will have a small shop with bread etc, so you can make up some sandwiches. We always have muesli bars, biscuits, fruit, sandwiches and breakfast cereal. If you do have to stop at maccas, they now have toasted sandwiches and salads so it doesn't have to be all junk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    Thanks @HappyBovine. Unfortunately we will be going through the fruit fly exclusion zone, so we prob won't bother with fresh fruit. When I was looking at the interstate quarantine government website it says that you can't take fresh fruit or veg from QLD to NSW/VIC/SA, or at the least you need a permit to do so. We do get fruit flies occasionally (one of the F&V shops we go to often has fruit flies around the cut melons 😕) so I am reluctant to risk it. I've done the drive before, but the last time was close to 10yrs ago now so I can't even remember.

DH is being a total PITA and saying he doesn't care, he doesn't like to eat while driving etc etc. I think he's forgetting that we'll be spending between 10-12hrs in the car and really only stopping to use a toilet, get petrol and eat lunch. We'll be leaving Brisbane early in the morning, so even if we eat breakfast first, it's going to be between 5-6am. We also don't have a small esky so I'm relying on the cold insulated bags from Coles for our stuff. I think maybe if I just take nuts and make some biscuits it might have to do. Possibly even some ham sandwiches. I don't want to make so much stuff we have heaps, but I also don't want to take not enough stuff and get hungry in the middle of nowhere!
    I travel ALOT for work as does DH who is a truck driver. I know there are websites with info about fruit/veg crossing the border and signs at the borders but TBH it is extremely unlikely that you will be stopped at either the QLD/NSW border or the NSW/Vic border to be checked for fruit and veg.
    For any long trips (over 4 hours) I will usually pack some/any of the following:

Muesli bars
    Crackers
    Sandwiches or wraps (chicken or ham or something similar- I usually skip the salad as it doesn't usually hold up)
    Juice(poppers) & water
    Dried fruit & nuts
    Goulburn valley fruit cups or easy to eat fresh fruit like apples. (I veto bananas as it makes the whole car smell revolting )
    A packet of chips and a packet of lollies.

Sometimes we might also throw in things like pikelets but basically stuff that won't make to much of a mess and can be eaten one handed if needed..(driver)

It's not the best diet but means we don't have to eat 'servo' food.