+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    He might be too old for this, but when my dd was a newborn, she wouldnt suck at the breast & couldnt figure out how to get milk out. We used a 'primer' where we squirted milk in the corner of her mouth with a syringe while on the breast. She would get a taste of milk in the mouth & would suck a bit. We would keep squirting until she figured out to suck at the breast to get milk out. Maybe your ds needs a similar thing with the bottle if he wont suck to get the milk out? I would think if he is hungry enough, he will do it if he can figure out how?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to answer your question and say, yep, I went back to work and left DD with DH and a few bottles of expressed milk. She'd never had a bottle before, and apparently it was/is quite messy when she drinks from it, but she got the hang of it. Sometimes she only takes 20mL but later in the day she will usually have 90-100mL. Our backup plan if she wouldn't take a bottle was for him to bring her into work (45 minute drive) to feed. Glad it didn't come to that. I'd suggest picking a bottle, leaving a couple in the fridge, and going out for the day. Worst outcome, you have to come home early. Good luck with it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know you've probably already thought of this but have you tried different types of bottle? Some are more similar to sucking on a breast. It sort of sounds like he wants to drink but can't work out how, so maybe something that mimics the breast better would work. I've heard Dr Browns are one of the best but I haven't used them myself.

I'm not sure how old your DS is but honestly I wouldn't stress too much. You've got a whole month still and even if he's not taking a bottle or cup by then at least he can suck water out of a face washer if the situation was desperate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    2 of my children never took a bottle (both bf and despite a concerted effort) and I went straight to a sippy..I found the best were those cheap coloured "disposable" cups from BigW or similar. They don't have a valve, which always need a strong suck, so the water/milk dribbles out a bit when tilted. That was the only type of cup they used until toddlerhood.
    My DD was/is a stubborn child and went to daycare twice a week for 6-7hrs from 7mths...she never ever took a bottle/sippy of milk/EBM there or anywhere. I would Bf before drop off and then again when I picked her up...she was fine. .just wanted booby only. After a bit she would take some water from the cup.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

kiwimum890 is offline It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    This has some interesting info in this link....

http://www.yourkidstable.com/2012/08...er-to.html?m=1

He may still be too young for a straw cup but I guess this method is worth a try?

Perhaps before you leave him, every time DH is at home perhaps get him to try with the bottle or cup or whatever it is you are trying to use so that DS can't get to you as he knows you are the easy option...perhaps try going into another room or out to the backyard or somewhere where Bubs thinks you aren't there, just to try and get him used to it a bit more?

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could also try letting him play with a normal cup in the bath, sometimes they learn to drink from a cup that way

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ive tried heaps of different bottles with no luck. Im not bothering with bottles now, im still trying cups but we arent having any luck.

Im not happy with him having no fluids whatsoever between 7am & 5.30pm three day per week. That is not healthy & he will risk becoming dehydrated, especially when its hot. So just sending him to daycare & letting him clusterfeed all evening is not an option for me. I need him to drink something, even if it is just water.

I think ill have to try going out for a half/full day & hope it works

Thanks
    Reviews
    How often are you trying with cups? I would be offering many times during the day and always have it on the highchair when offering solids. He will eventually get the hang of it and drink something. If he doesn't know how to suck from the cups/straws, can you get one that just comes out if he tips it up? Or try just from a regular cup? Neither of my kids took a bottle, and my DS took ages to "get" drinking from a cup too - but really regular exposure helped (e.g. giving it to him to play with at every meal plus while he was sitting in his swing, etc).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a sippy cup of water on his highchair for every solid meal (twice a day at this stage), plus dh tries a sippy cup of formula first thing in the morning when ds hasnt fed all night so is really hungry & i try a sippy cup of ebm/formula after his morning sleep which is usually a couple of hours after his last feed.

Ive got free flow ones, they are what im using now. He wont tip it up himself, i do it for him & when something comes out he spits most of it out looking disgusted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sounds like you are offering quite regularly which is a good start. Now it's up to him! Neither of my kids would take milk (breastmilk or formula or cows milk) from a cup until they were much older. They seemed confused/shocked/disgusted that I would try to feed them milk that wasn't from me! Perhaps you could just focus on water first to try to get him used to the idea of drinking from a cup?