+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tough love - getting baby to take a bottle/cup

Just wondering if anyone has just gone out for hours & left their breastfed baby with someone else in order to get them to take a bottle/cup?

It feels really mean but i just cannot get ds to take a bottle or any kind of cup from me, dh, my mum or my sister. The times other people offered ive been outside in the backyard or gone for a walk.

Its not working so maybe its time for some tough love. Should i do it? Will it even work, or will it just upset both of us?

I need him to at least drink water by April for daycare, even if he wont drink anything else. Also to be honest (& i know it sounds selfish) i just need a break occasionally. Ive never been away from ds for more than an hour a couple of times since he was born almost 8 months ago. Dh gets to go & play sport sometimes on weekends, just occasionally i want to go out by myself or with friends for a half day or even a full day & at the moment i cant.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Personally I would try it. Can you go and get a coffee or something nearby so that you can get home quickly if needed? He won't die from crying or a late feed.

DS took a little while to take a bottle. We just kept offering and one day he sucked it down. Don't give up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can just go to the local shops down the road. Ill try it one weekend & see what happens.

He doesnt seem to understand how to suck on it, he chews it instead. This is the case with all bottles, sippy cups, straw cups & sports bottles ive tried. And those that dont have a valve he wont tip them up & if we tip it for him & some comes out he looks disgusted & spits it out. So no idea how dh will go feeding him

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you need time out I would try it.
    I would try a sippy or straw cup and skip the bottles.
    I like harvs idea and would go for lunch or a coffee with friends nearby so if things go really pear shaped you aren't far away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive tried sippy cups, cups with built in straws, a regular cup with a straw in it & a sports bottle. Hes happy to play with them & chews on the mouthpiece if i drink out of a cup the same colour at the same time, but he wont drink it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My DD is 6 months old, she isn't or wasn't breastfed however it was only me that ever gave her bottles, DF occasionally did it but not often as he works long hours. I went back to work 1 day a week so she stays home with DF and more often than not she still won't take a bottle or sippy cup from him. Usually when I got home Id just give her a bottle and she'd take it and go to sleep.
    It took a couple of shifts but she'll take it from him now, its never a full feed but its something. She won't take solids from anyone else either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Ive tried sippy cups, cups with built in straws, a regular cup with a straw in it & a sports bottle. Hes happy to play with them & chews on the mouthpiece if i drink out of a cup the same colour at the same time, but he wont drink it.
    I would just pick one and stick with it. He will get the hang of it.
    I would personally go for a straw cup.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (05-03-2015),misskittyfantastico  (01-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ill try & go somewhere close, but theres only really the local shops with a supermarket & coffee shop within walking distance, i could stay there for a couple of hours but i think ds will be fine for two hours, so im not sure if i should try it anyway or just go the whole way & leave him for an entire day

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I couldn't get my DD to drink water out of anything designed for babies either. One day I had finished a glass of iced water and she was reaching out for it (she was 6m at the time). I offered her a sip of the melting ice and she was gulping at it! Since then she happily drinks direct from the cup. It was messy at first but now at 9.5m she is a pro. Maybe that approach could work for your DS?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SimpsonDesert For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (05-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep given it to him to hold, he chews on the mouthpiece but wont drink out of it.

Yes he will suck water off a washer, he even tries to drink the pool water at swimming lessons (funny boy), he just wont drink it out of any container ive tried so far