+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Low placenta

I'm going private ( only mention as oby has ultrasound in office so I get a scan each time ) just had 15 week visit and placenta was low. He's not worried yet as it's still early BUT I'm one to research and dr google isn't good. There's still plenty of time for it to rise but I want information based on worse case scenario. I don't want bed rest nor do I want a c section. Just wondering when did you go on bed rest? Any other info?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How low? 15 weeks is pretty early and I wouldn't worry about anything like that yet. Mine was low at the 20 week scan, they rescanned at 34 weeks and it was up and out of the way by then. There was no bed-rest or c-section talk until they gave it plenty of time to move on its own. Unless its placenta previa and the chances of it moving on its own is minimal I wouldn't worry at this stage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    I'm going private ( only mention as oby has ultrasound in office so I get a scan each time ) just had 15 week visit and placenta was low. He's not worried yet as it's still early BUT I'm one to research and dr google isn't good. There's still plenty of time for it to rise but I want information based on worse case scenario. I don't want bed rest nor do I want a c section. Just wondering when did you go on bed rest? Any other info?
    At 15 weeks you have ages to go. Your uterus will stretch heaps and move the placenta upwards with it.
    Not sure why your OB would have even mention it this early on.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (01-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    A lot of placentas are low in the early days because the lower segment of the uterus hasn't expanded up yet. If the placenta is currently clear of the os (internal opening of the cervix) then it *should* rise up as the lower segment expands. Bed rest won't have any effect on the position of the placenta etc. The only time the doctors I work with put women on bed rest is when they have had significant bleeds in the pregnancy. I'm not talking about some spotting on a pad, I'm talking a filled pad etc. This is basically to reduce the risk of further bleeding, but bed rest is a very subjective treatment. I would talk to your obs about your concerns and they will be able to give you their advice on what to do/not to do. A caesarean is only recommended if you have a confirmed placenta praevia at a scan around 34-36 weeks. Make sure this scan is done by a proper sonographer though. They are the experts. Try not to google too much either. You always read about the worst case scenarios.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was just a passing comment I think he was mainly talking to himself. After he said it he said it's nothing to be worried about at this stage. I have my big scan in a month so fx it's moving then

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It may still be low at the morph scan. If it is, don't stress. As I mentioned above, the lower segment doesn't form until around 30+ weeks. You'll just have a repeat scan later on in the pregnancy. Any bleeding in the pregnancy though (inc after intercourse or even unprovoked) is worth mentioning to your obs or the hospital if they have a pregnancy assessment unit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Mine was low for half my pregnancy. As long as it doesn't cover the cervix then it should be fine. As others have said, it will usually rise as your uterus grows.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    yes I had a scan closer to birth to make sure the placenta had moved out of the way and it had.

it only needs to be 2cm away from the cervix to be safe for vaginal delivery.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for info

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a post on this too. Was diagnosed with it at 20 week scan and same week had brown discharge. Dr didn't put any restrictions but I have placed them on myself. As much pelvic rest as possible and trying to organise to work from home for next 2 months. But I'm a panic head and I think if it wasn't for spotting I would not have been so alarmed. Mine is 2.2cm from os.