+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Car accident...

So just wanted to ask some advice… I got rear ended on Friday afternoon by a guy who pushed the car stopped behind me into mine. I was a bit in shock and wigged out bad and assumed the lady behind me hit me. I live on a super busy 4 lane street two streets either way and I am always super cautious about coming out of my driveway because people are always speeding.

I reversed into the left lane and still and waited for a bus to pass in the right lane with a lady in a car about 10 car distances behind it when I changed into the right moved a few car lengths and stopped to turn right into a street. The lady behind me stopped but the car behind her hit her and she hit me. It was peak hour and the guy who hit her got out and asked if I was ok to move my car.

I was so in shock I was like ummm I can't do anything and he was like I can move it so I was like ok… He left me standing in the middle of the four lanes in peak hour in shock with no shoes on dazed and confused. Then when I sat down on the side of the road he was talking to the lady and no one checked if I was ok. I ended up in hospital with a neck brace on because of neck and back spain and tingling which I still have some of now. They discharged me with no scansI and said to see my dr because I guess I wasn't injured badly enough.

It was in front of my house so at one point I went back inside because I was totally wigging out about having to be at a concert (I assume I was in shock). When I came back I heard him say to the lady they were getting their storey straight about me cutting her off and when I was like ummm hey no I did not I was stopped… He was like NO! I'm not talking to you I'm talking to her. He was also acting suss and didn't want the cops to show up and when they did he said he had 1 beer and he blew under.

I've never been in an accident and this is my cheap run around car not my big fully comp insured car so I only have insurance to cover damage to others. I'm not sure if they are going to say I made an unsafe lane change but my neighbour saw it all including the guy coming down and as he says driving too fast for the conditions and his breaks not being up to the task of stopping. The lady behind me stopped after i stopped so she didn't hit me but the 3rd driver hit her and pushed her into me. I was stopped with blinker on ready to turn and she stopped behind me for a few seconds before he hit her. Impact was at about 30kmph according to ambos.

So if you guys could give me some advice I'd be heaps grateful. I already made a claim on my insurance and I have both parties claim numbers. I'm going to the dr to check my back out because I have pain in my neck going into my arm. Any advice would be great.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Trusty Chords For This Useful Post:

Simran  (01-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think as long as you have the other witnesses you're ok. Doesnt matter what he argues....he rear-ended a stationary car, so I believe his fault.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Night Owl For This Useful Post:

Trusty Chords  (02-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So I don't need to get a solicitor or anything just deal with his insurance?

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    As I painfully found out last year, it's usually the rear car liable.

I was behind a car turning left at an intersection. The oncoming traffic was clear. The car in front of me was starting to go, so I started to follow and looked right briefly to check to see if traffic was still clear and I ran up her back. She had stopped mid-entry - no reason why- and yet I was the one at fault.

So, based on my experience which is limited to the above I would say that the man is at fault, not you. Also taut you have a witness should you need it- I think you will find his insurance will pay for the repairs to your car.

I hope your injuries aren't serious.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I hope you're ok.
    Make a statement to police
    Ask your neighbour who saw everything to make a statement to police.
    Inform your insurance company
    Get quotes to repair your car
    Send quotes to the guy whose fault it was. Or his insurance company.
    If you feel as though you're experiencing any psychological trauma as a result, consider making a TAC claim for some psych visits.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope no solicitor required. Give them your story to your insurer and let them know you've got a witness who saw the accident too. If I was in your situation I would even add to your insurer that you're concerned as the guy who rear-ended everyone was trying to coerce the other lady to tell a different story. The insurer will deal with it from that point.
    Last edited by Night Owl; 01-03-2015 at 19:52.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Night Owl For This Useful Post:

Trusty Chords  (02-03-2015),Wise Enough  (01-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Nomsie View Post
    As I painfully found out last year, it's usually the rear car liable.

I was behind a car turning left at an intersection. The oncoming traffic was clear. The car in front of me was starting to go, so I started to follow and looked right briefly to check to see if traffic was still clear and I ran up her back. She had stopped mid-entry - no reason why- and yet I was the one at fault.

So, based on my experience which is limited to the above I would say that the man is at fault, not you. Also taut you have a witness should you need it- I think you will find his insurance will pay for the repairs to your car.

I hope your injuries aren't serious.
    Thanks for that. Yeah I assumed that but I think he is trying to say I made an unsafe lane change and cut the lady off but I was actually stationary and she stationary when he hit.

I think that's what I'm more worried about my back if he actually has damaged it in any way… And the fact I need up in a neck brace but he basically made me get out of my car and left me standing in the middle of 4 lanes in peak hour going dafuq just happened… I clearly wasn't straight thinking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
    Nope, give them your story as let them know you've got a witness who saw the accident too. If I was in your situation I would even add to your insurer that you're concerned as the guy who rear-ended everyone was trying to coerce the other lady to tell a different story. The insurer will deal with it from that point.
    Cheers… Such a headache I think my little $3000 car is going to be written off and I'm only hoping that they give me the $3000 not half of that. I also am thinking about writing to the council and asking them to put some signage on the street next to my drive way because I've quite nearly been cleaned up by cars speeding around the corner. I live on a main road in Brisbane inner city and yeah it's rattled me a bit about coming out of my driveway now which is also on a hill.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GucciDahling View Post
    I hope you're ok.
    Make a statement to police
    Ask your neighbour who saw everything to make a statement to police.
    Inform your insurance company
    Get quotes to repair your car
    Send quotes to the guy whose fault it was. Or his insurance company.
    If you feel as though you're experiencing any psychological trauma as a result, consider making a TAC claim for some psych visits.

Thanks for that.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    White down a detailed description of the event whilst it's all still fresh.

I'm not an expert but I would expect that the liability for the damage to your car will be the other woman - the reason being that she did not leave enough space between her car and your car whilst you were stationery. The liability for the rear damage to her car will be the other bloke.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post: