+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Good school? Bad school?

I live in a good area, the same area I grew up in. I had assumed our local school, which is a nice school, would be DS's local school when he starts next year but not so - the zones have changed and we are just outside now as is more than half of our suburb.

I have heard stories of people selling up and moving in order for their kids to be zoned to a better school due to the zoning if our suburb now being to the other primary school that is apparently 'not a good school'.

Our catchment school is further but not much further, it's across the major road which rules out DS walking to school with other kids which is a pita but otherwise looking at the school I can't see much wrong with it tbh..... It seems like a nice school to me. Two kindergarten classes of 19 students each, apparently v/good teachers, nice community, nice community feel when I walked through it, nice indoor swimming pool, big garden and chickens, decent program...... I just can't figure out why it's so unpopular!

unfortunately I don't know anyone at the school. Everyone I know around here either goes to the other local school or if they've been zoned out have opted to send their kids to the private school or another independent (catholic) school.

I've heard mention of the fact there is the neighbouring housing commission area zoned to this catchment - but I don't see that as necessarily a negative and think it's unfair to assume it is. The other 'good' school has dodgy areas in its zoning too. Seriously, it's part and parcel of life.

How do I find out how bad or good this school really is? I can't find anywhere to get a whole school view or opinions of parents etc. just the school rankings based on English and maths (this school got 85 in the last few years which is pretty good in an academic sense I'd say!).

What should I be looking for? For now, the biggest negatives are that we have several friends at the other school, it's closer (just down the road) and safer walk for DS, more travel and before/after school options for DS, and we don't know anyone at the other school....

Thanks,
    Last edited by Botticelli; 01-03-2015 at 10:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Does the school you're zoned for have a playgroup? Our local schools all have a playgroup once a morning for kids aged 0-5 who live in the catchment. It's a great way to get to know the school and other kids who will be going.

You can also go along to school assembly (check first if parents are welcome). And book a school tour with the Principal. Our local school offers all of these as ways for parents to connect with the school and it's a great way to see for yourself how the school works, how content the kids seem, and get a general feel for it.

If you do go to assembly chat to the other parents (not during obviously) and ask if they're happy with the school, if their kids seem happy etc.

You can also find the school's annual report on their website. They can be a wealth of info.

When you talk to the principal ask what maths or literacy programs they use. My kids have had both jolly phonics and letterland and love both. Do they have many behavioural problems? How do they handle them? If they've had a problem are things improving?

DS started prep this year so I spent a lot of time last year on the school issue (because we weren't happy with DDs school) and found schools are very forthcoming with all of this info.

Eta: when you talk to other parents keep in mind different schools suit different kids. If they are happy/not happy ask why and think critically about the answers. Our new school is perfect for my kids. When I spoke to parents some said they hated the school, but the reasons they gave were all things I thought were great about the school. Eg one hated how much the school focused on music - that's a big plus for us not a negative! In contrast most parents seem to love our old school and it had a great reputation, but it did not suit us at all. So find out the 'why' people love/hate it.

Good luck!
    Last edited by MissMuppet; 01-03-2015 at 11:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    Does the school you're zoned for have a playgroup? Our local schools all have a playgroup once a morning for kids aged 0-5 who live in the catchment. It's a great way to get to know the school and other kids who will be going.

You can also go along to school assembly (check first if parents are welcome). And book a school tour with the Principal. Our local school offers all of these as ways for parents to connect with the school and it's a great way to see for yourself how the school works, how content the kids seem, and get a general feel for it.

If you do go to assembly chat to the other parents (not during obviously) and ask if they're happy with the school, if their kids seem happy etc.

You can also find the school's annual report on their website. They can be a wealth of info.

When you talk to the principal ask what maths or literacy programs they use. My kids have had both jolly phonics and letterland and love both. Do they have many behavioural problems? How do they handle them? If they've had a problem are things improving?

DS started prep this year so I spent a lot of time last year on the school issue (because we weren't happy with DDs school) and found schools are very forthcoming with all of this info.

Eta: when you talk to other parents keep in mind different schools suit different kids. If they are happy/not happy ask why and think critically about the answers. Our new school is perfect for my kids. When I spoke to parents some said they hated the school, but the reasons they gave were all things I thought were great about the school. Eg one hated how much the school focused on music - that's a big plus for us not a negative! In contrast most parents seem to love our old school and it had a great reputation, but it did not suit us at all. So find out the 'why' people love/hate it.

Good luck!
    Thanks for these ideas! I will go and look at the annual report for the school, and actually yes the administrator did offer for us to have a tour of the school at anytime, I had forgotten about it! I will do that for sure.

I'm not sure what reading/math program's they use but will check those out too. I also heard from a neighbour (who has a young son who will be in the same predicament when he starts in a couple of years) who heard they have an excellent anti-bullying policy at the school too. I'm concerned about community/school environment - more so than academic at this stage - as DS is a quiet child and can be shy.

They've also won awards for their environmental program's which I find very pleasing.

You make a good point that different schools will suit different kids. I have friends who book their kids into so many extra-curricular activities but I think it's too much and want to keep that to a minimum (2) in his early years. Also, I don't know yet where his real strengths and passions will be!

Also so I think a lot of people around here just go off rumour and make decisions based on that. Or go onto the schools website and get their kids into one of the top 5 or 10 rated schools, assuming the rest are 'bad'. I'm not sure, I just can't see how this school is bad. It ticks all the boxes for me. I really do need to find some parents who's kids go there. I might go to one of the assemblies, I didn't realise I could do that. Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Will reply when I've got some time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi OP, both your school options sound great. You could try to apply for an out of area spot for the school just down the road, on the basis that you live in the suburb, would be keen to walk to and from school and so on. Could be worth a try, at least to keep all options open. Either way, it sounds like both schools are good. All the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by littleriv View Post
    Hi OP, both your school options sound great. You could try to apply for an out of area spot for the school just down the road, on the basis that you live in the suburb, would be keen to walk to and from school and so on. Could be worth a try, at least to keep all options open. Either way, it sounds like both schools are good. All the best.
    Hi, thanks, yes I've put in an out of area application however I'm not getting my hopes up.

Practically, it will be a better option for us as 1. It's a safer walk 2. Several of the kids around here walk to/from school so DS could walk to school with neighbours as he gets older as there's just the one crossing which is supervised at the school. 3. I have friends and family within 1-2 blocks of the school who can collect DS if need be or he could walk back to their place with the kids. Our zoned school is a longer walk and I'd have to walk him myself due to a major road crossing - I'd end up having to drive him a lot I think.

The admin officer indicated they don't accept many OOA applications. However I saw a different admin officer the first time I went in and she said if I have any issues getting DS in to just ring up and speak to the principal and it 'should be fine'. So I'm really not sure! I'll ask a friend who's child started kindy there this year if she knows how many kids were OOA....

At this stage I think it's safer to assume he'll be going to our zoned school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Op maybe if you mention which school it is members may know more of the school and give you feedback?

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could also ask on your local buy swap and sell page on Facebook. I'm always seeing those kinda of questions on our local ones.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitterFarts View Post
    Op maybe if you mention which school it is members may know more of the school and give you feedback?
    i just feel feel a bit funny about mentioning the schools in question as I wouldn't want to the opinions out there as to which school is good/better/bad based on hearsay.... Otherwise I wouldn't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Alleyoop View Post
    You could also ask on your local buy swap and sell page on Facebook. I'm always seeing those kinda of questions on our local ones.
    Ah, im not on Facebook but could ask someone to ask for me I suppose. Thanks.