+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Baby proofing & coffee table/lounge suit

Just wondering what you have all done about your coffee table once your lo was on the move?

Ours has lots of sharp corners & edges & im concerned about ds really hurting himself, but short of wrapping the entire thing in foam im not sure what to do. Im concerned about him getting a sharp corner or edge in his eye or hurting his head badly. The stick on foam corner protectors just fall off, or ds peels them off & tries to eat them.

We do not have space to relocate it elsewhere in the house/store it anywhere & dont really want to get rid of it. We need a coffee table of some kind, we use it all the time.

We also have a timber framed lounge suit which i am having a similar problem with, ds banged his head on it yesterday & now has a lump. He tries to crawl underneath it then gets stuck & smacks his head.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ours isn't REALLY sharp, but could certainly lead to some injuries. We didn't do anything, to be honest. Kids will find ways to hurt themselves, and I figured that as long as it wasn't seriously dangerous (leaving knives/medication around, a TV that could fall) then I'd let her figure it out herself.
    She did hit her head on the coffee table a couple of times; got stuck under the coffee table and dining chairs; hit her head on the dining table as she got taller. She soon learnt to be more careful around furniture though, and very rarely hurts herself on things like that anymore. That said, at 2.5 she will occasionally hit her head or stub her toe or something...but then so will DP and I.

I imagine that may not be the answer you're looking for...in which case, I hope someone can offer some other suggestions. Good luck!

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

DizzyDaisy  (01-03-2015),GrabbyCrabby  (02-03-2015),heartstringz  (01-03-2015),Tamtam  (01-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby proofing & coffee table/lounge suit

Last edited by Kazza78; 01-03-2015 at 10:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We didn't either, we tried the corner protectors when our first was born but as you said, they just come off and don't work very well.
    Kids will hurt themselves on anything and everything, and unfortunately you can't baby proof it all.
    As @Renn said as long as your house isn't dangerous, I'm sure you DS will be fine.
    Babies hurt themselves a lot, my kids constantly fell and had bumps and bruises on their heads when they started moving around, it sounds terrible but that's the way they learn to navigate the world.
    Good luck

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 3bubbys For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (01-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    With my first child, I got those corner protector things, I ended up glueing and nailing them on to get them to stay. I baby proofed the whole house pretty much.

With my second and third kids, I did nothing. They survived.

Honestly there is always something that they are going to hurt themselves on. They will hurt themselves. They will be ok. A bump on the head is ok. If it isn't bumping their head on furniture, they will fall over, faceplant when crawling, trip over things, trip over their feet, fall off chairs/lounges/beds, slam fingers in doors, walk into things, get stuck under things... and that is all before you leave the house!
    I'm not saying this to scare you, but just so that you know that it is perfectly normal and totally unavoidable that a child who is learning to interact with their environment is gong to make some mistakes and hurt themselves in mostly minor ways.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (02-03-2015),heartstringz  (01-03-2015),SuperGranny  (02-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Same as pp, we didn't baby proof either. I tried using the corner things a couple of time, but DS pulled them straight off and I didn't want to ruin the furniture by attaching them permanently. I think he only hurt himself (just a bump) a couple of times.

Your DS will be fine, bumps and bruises are all a part of growing up and learning to walk!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Curby For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (01-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    we did nothing either. apart from some bangs and bumps and cries they were all fine. I refused to cotton wool them from everything as well as when we went out to other people's houses - they were certainly not baby proof so just dealt with it.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (01-03-2015),SuperGranny  (02-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    When my first was a bub we tried the stick on corners, they fell straight off. We ended up glueing them on with a stronger glue adhesive and they are still on 7yrs later.
    I took the view we knew we'd have more kids and face this issue a few times so would make a permanent solution for it & once our kids are bigger we can shout ourselves a new coffee table

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    Ours isn't REALLY sharp, but could certainly lead to some injuries. We didn't do anything, to be honest. Kids will find ways to hurt themselves, and I figured that as long as it wasn't seriously dangerous (leaving knives/medication around, a TV that could fall) then I'd let her figure it out herself.
    She did hit her head on the coffee table a couple of times; got stuck under the coffee table and dining chairs; hit her head on the dining table as she got taller. She soon learnt to be more careful around furniture though, and very rarely hurts herself on things like that anymore. That said, at 2.5 she will occasionally hit her head or stub her toe or something...but then so will DP and I.

I imagine that may not be the answer you're looking for...in which case, I hope someone can offer some other suggestions. Good luck!
    Exactly this. We have a large, heavy timber coffee table. DD (now 21 months) hasn't had any major injuries but has learned to negotiate her way around it. She has had a few bangs into the corner of our kitchen bench, she is more careful now. Her biggest injury which has left a mark on her chin was from tripping and hitting her chin on the corner of her plastic mega-bloks tub!
    The only baby proofing we have really done is put a lock on our laundry cupboard with the cleaning products and put the power point covers on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    We don't do anything either and rarely does anything happen. They adapt to their environment and learn when to be a bit more aware of things I think.

He will likely get stuck under the coffee table or maybe bang his head from time to time.. It happens, kids are resilient and get over it quite quickly.

It's impossible for everything to be 100% safe, Dd can be walking down the hallway and trip over her own feet, I can't really do anything about it Lol.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DreamyMummy For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (02-03-2015)