+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Does anyone know if there is a 'reasonable distance' for a child to travel for a regular weekend visitation.

Is the 2.5/3hrs my DD1 travels each way reasonable?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I managed to have a productive conversation with x today and have negotiated changing to her going every 3wks instead of fortnightly. Hoping that'll make it a bit easier, i was aiming for monthly but we'll see how this goes

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (01-03-2015),Qwerty  (01-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Its a natural progression as kids get older and even if you lived close by she may still feel the same. Is there the option to make up time in school holidays? My boys are 16 and 12 and dont go to their dads much in school terms. Theyre busy out n about with their mates but i feel bad for their dad as i know he misses them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ourbradybunch View Post
    Its a natural progression as kids get older and even if you lived close by she may still feel the same. Is there the option to make up time in school holidays? My boys are 16 and 12 and dont go to their dads much in school terms. Theyre busy out n about with their mates but i feel bad for their dad as i know he misses them
    She spends a week there each holidays when it suits X. As in if he decides he is too busy to take time off she stays home

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

AngelicHobgoblin  (03-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We have the opposite problem here- kids want to live with us instead of their mother.

I have no advice, except talking to her. At 7.5 there is probably more to it than just the distance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just updating.

So the new arrangement of every 3weeks worked fine for 2/3 visits so 9ish weeks and now she is refusing to go.

She insists she likes to visit her dad but doesnt like staying there, as in she wants to come home to sleep each night - not an easy one with the 2+hrs distance.
    So we're at a stalemate once again. I refuse to physically strap a screaming 7yr old into the car.
    Her dad arrived the other week to collect her and she first refused to go.
    He tried to gently put her in the car and she kicked and screamed so he told me to put her in and she did the same so he left in a huff

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    No advice but hugs to C. Hope you can come to a good compromise soon that everyone including C is happy about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Asked with the utmost respect: does she happily have sleepovers at mates houses, grandparents, family or friends of yours?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no experience with my children being like this but when I was her age I HATED sleepovers. I would dread the different place, new noises etc. I don't know when it went away or why I just remember feeling so anxious sleeping anywhere other than my own bed. Maybe it could be something like this?

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    it seems to me she has been a trooper with accepting this situation for most of her life, and now she is tired of it. perhaps there is nothing of any interest for her with her dad. maybe it is always the same, she just feels the driving is not worth it. I can understand it, I don't know what you can do about it. hugs, marie.