+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Blw friendly family dinner ideas

Hit me with your favourite family dinners that would be appropriate to share with an 8 month old please! I'm looking to avoid making two meals when possible.

Some meals we've done:
    Salmon and potato patties with salad
    Lamb cutlets and roast vegetables
    Beef stir fry (no sauce on bub's portion)
    Chicken thighs and vegetables
    Gnocchi and bolognaise

Thanks
    Reviews
    lasagne, home made sausage rolls (packed full of veges), Steak and baked sweet potato slices, zucchini slice or some other sort of quiche/frittata, chicken and vege kebabs (i do mine with diced chicken breast, pineapple, zucchini, capsicums, and grape tomatos marinated briefly in soy sauce, lime juice and a bit of oil.. then BBQd. Serve ours with satay sauce and rice, and bubs without the sauce and pulled off the kebab stick).
    Bolognese pinwheels (leftover bolognese spread on pastry and rolled up, cut into pinwheels and baked)..

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dinky Doo For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (27-02-2015)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Risotto
    Pasta bake (made from scratch with lots of veggies- I have a recipe for a chicken one or a beef one)
    Home made schnitzel with homemade chips, corn on the cob and coleslaw
    Steak and veg
    Home made pizza

Basically anything! We don't really often have to make a separate meal for dd here.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (27-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Nomsie View Post
    Risotto
    Pasta bake (made from scratch with lots of veggies- I have a recipe for a chicken one or a beef one)
    Home made schnitzel with homemade chips, corn on the cob and coleslaw
    Steak and veg
    Home made pizza

Basically anything! We don't really often have to make a separate meal for dd here.
    Would you mind sharing your chicken pasta bake recipe? :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Blw friendly family dinner ideas

I did a chicken pasta bake too and DS (who was 8 months at the time) just had pieces.

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/1915...ken+pasta+bake

I VERY roughly followed this one.
    I substituted milk in place of the cream (personal taste), roasted my own chicken breast, added roast pumpkin, peeled carrots, roasted sweet potato, smashed the peas and corn a little.. You get the idea. Super easy to add any kind of veggies in.

The pieces I did give him I just made sure it was soft enough to mash with a fork

8. The Following User Says Thank You to azelqra For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (27-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Since DS started solids at 6 months I always made a big bowl of mixed steamed veggies ( and still do) so would just add whatever protein we were eating to that or

Pizza - I just got a mini pizza pan for DS and he had spinach, cheese , tomato and basil

Grilled or roast salmon and greek salad - just flake salmon into little pieces and cut olives, cherry tomatoes in half, small cubes of feta and cucumber

Kebabs - until he was about 1 he had "deconstructed" kebabs! So just put falafels, pita bread with tzatiki, grated cheese and tabouli on his tray - after 12 months Id make a wrap and toast it and it was great as the melted cheese stopped everything from falling out!

Tacos - deconstructed same as kebabs - just put tortilla wraps with guacamole, grated cheese and either fish or beef shredded on his tray

Pasta - spaghetti bolognese or any pasta really

Any meat or fish and salad

Butter chicken and rice - this is messy but I would shred the chicken and add to rice with a bit of butter chicken sauce and he would eat it by the handful!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (27-02-2015)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    My chicken pasta bake is easy

If you are using raw chicken, use aprox 1 breast and small dice.
    In a large pan, brown your chicken and set aside. (If you're using left over BBQ chicken add towards the end)
    Fry off one finely diced onion and a clove of crushed garlic.
    Add two cups of finely diced veg. Regularly I will use carrot, zucchini, capsicum, broccoli, peas, corn. Whatever I have on hand.
    Once veg have softened a bit, add about 300 ml of cream. You could use milk, but I believe the natural fat in the cream is good for us
    I also throw in a handful of grated cheese to help bind it too.
    Mix in your cooked pasta- about 300g and then throw all of that in a baking dish. I often like to top it with some homemade breadcrumbs and finely grated Parmesan for a beautiful crunch. Bake for about 15 mins.

... And now I'm officially hungry!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    DA and DD have always had what we have had. If it's messy oh well, that's what bath time is for!
    Salmon fillets have always been a hit with them and well as stir fry with rice.