+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default 3 year old and Kinder (Childcare) question

Ds loved orientation at kinder, he said bye on the first day and really loved it. The 2nd and 3rd times he was happy to go.
    When it came to his first full day (he had no idea, I was taking him like normal), he started crying in the car and when we turned up.
    He did have a good day and wanted to go back when we spoke during the week.

Today was his 2nd full day and he cried leaving home, cried in the car and when we turned up (saying "I don't want to go to kinder").
    He only attends 1x per week.

Does anyone else have a 3 year old like this, or used to be like this?

I need some tips please.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It honestly sounds pretty normal to me and i would give him more time to settle. Sometimes it takes children a few goes then they realise they are actually left there and get upset at drop off. It is heartbreaking to deal with as a parent, it really sux. The fact that he only goes one day will probably slow the settling process a little as well. Talk to him about daycare throughout the week, especially the night before. Use the names of his teachers and friends and list things he enjoys that he can do there. Be very upbeat about it. Maybe even discuss with the teachers the possibility of having his fav toy/s out in the morning on his days to help him settle. Make drop off short and sweet and always say goodbye. If you can, try to pick him up at the same time each day then say "i will pick you up after rest/afternoon tea/lunch" to create a routine he can trust. Those are my tips from a daycare teacher perspective. Putting on my parent hat, ring as often as you need to for peace of mind and communicate all the time with his teacher.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you.
    Ill try to make drop offs quick, but maybe not sweet if he's crying
    Ill try to be more happy and cheerful I guess!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Dd can be a little unsettled going to daycare now that's she is nearing 3. She has been going since she was 10 months old so perhaps its an age thing. We sing a song when we are on our way there: "It's a daycare day today, a daycare day today, hi ho dairy-oh, it's a daycare day today'. (It goes to the song 'the farmer in the dell'- I think). Anyhooo, it's a fun thing to do on the way there and I also ask her for the directions to daycare and she happily points which way I need to go. I think it gives her a little control over her day and she seems happier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel for you! Just this morning I was wondering if my son will ever change. He's three now and has been going to day care for 18 months and still cries at drop off. We not long moved house and this week he started at a new centre three days a week. I have always been really positive about kindy and make it sound SO much fun and took this opportunity of a different centre to try and get him happy about it but no luck.
    I don't see what else I can do as I've tried everything with him (stay shorter time, stay longer time, send along favourite toys and books, bake cupcakes for his friends, talk about the awesome carers, the awesome sand pit, treats at pickup, etc) but he doesn't change. We have been through a few phases where he has stopped crying for a few weeks here and there but he always reverts to being upset. Breaks my heart and I feel so bad. But, he always stops after a few mins and is fine for the rest of the day so I think he's just always going to be emotional about it!