+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default ADD or ADHD Questions

Are there any parents out there with children that have been diagnosed with ADD or ADHD?
    I have some questions please.
    - Was your child's diagnosis quite obvious based on their behaviour (eg- meeting 6 out of the 18 characteristics in the criteria)
    - their age
    - did you medicate or manage using strategies
    - reasons for your choice
    - did your choice make a difference? Did it help them academically and socially?

THANKS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca79 View Post
    Are there any parents out there with children that have been diagnosed with ADD or ADHD?
    I have some questions please.
    A - Was your child's diagnosis quite obvious based on their behaviour (eg- meeting 6 out of the 18 characteristics in the criteria)
    B- their age
    C- did you medicate or manage using strategies
    D- reasons for your choice
    E- did your choice make a difference? Did it help them academically and socially?

THANKS.
    I have 2.
    My eldest.
    A) yes
    B) he was 7. Is now 15
    C) medication we have tried a few different ones and used strategies.
    D) best option for him
    E) OMG it was the best decision of our lives. I and the Teachers can tell if he he has forgotten his med that day.
    Huge help in all areas of his life.

My younger child.
    A) yes
    B) 5 now. I have always suspected.
    C) strategies.
    D) it seems to working for him for now.
    E) time will tell.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subbing.
    @LoveLivesHere
    Do you mind if I send you a PM in around 20min?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Sure
    Last edited by LoveLivesHere; 26-02-2015 at 18:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    Sure
    Its sent.
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twolittlemunchkins View Post
    Subbing
    Our boys are the same age, is yours in school this year? How is going?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Replied

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    Our boys are the same age, is yours in school this year? How is going?
    Sorry, just saw this. Yeah my ds1 is at school full time this year. He is great at school. He loves it! The teacher says he needs reminding a few times to calm down and think about his choices, but overall he is pretty good. It's before and after school that he is difficult. I have to ask him 100 times to eat breakfast, get dressed or put his shoes on, and after school the slightest things set off tantrums or cranky pants attitude. Usually some food and solid one on one attention for a while helps but he is still difficult more often than not. I really want to try the failsafe elimination diet but am really overwhelmed by it. I cut out all additives and preservatives a few months ago and noticed a slight change in the beginning but it didn't last long.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi yes my 5 year old dd has it.

1. Diagnosis was not obvious as there were other difficulties tied in with it, however it is the first condition other people pick up on.

2. Tentative diagnosis at 2.5, formal at 3.5

3. No medication yet as shes not at school but will cross that bridge when/if she has trouble in the class room. We manage solely with behavioural therepy & diet.

4. Dd is very intelligent & her behaviour does not affect her learning or friendships etc. At school if she struggles then we will revisit medication. Dont get me wrong. Its tough on me!!! But shes fine.