+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default North Eastern Community Hospital (Adelaide)

Hi ladies,

Im confusing the life out of myself trying to decide on a hospital.

I'm currently favouring North Eastern Community Hospital (Adelaide).

It is a Bupa Members First hospital,
    From what I understand from my policy of cover Bupa should cover most things. Ill be going in to Bupa on Monday to ask them but suspect I wont get a straight answer.
    I was wondering if anyone has any feedback on this and what level of cover you had?

I was also wondering about epidurals.
    The policy implies pain relief is covered if provided by a worker of the hospital,
    But the North Eastern website implies it wont be covered.

If anyone can tell me their insurance based experiences at this hospital as well as their general experience Id appreciate it so much

Thanks so much for your time and help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi, my info may be a little out of date as I had my DD in 2011 but I'll tell you my experience.

We had top hospital - no excess with BUPA. Hospital cost me nothing at all. I had a slight out of pocket for the pead and I think (can't remember exactly) a small out of pocket for the anesthetist. BUPA should be able to give you a straight answer.

Insurance wise, my experience with NECH was good. It was all sorted through the hospital and the only bills I saw were the ones for the above doctors.

General Experience - I liked NECH, the rooms are a nice size and if your lucky, you may get a room with a double/queen bed and balcony. You have a room assigned to you on arrival and even though you move to the delivery room for the birth, you go back to the same room afterwards. I liked being "settled" so once we can back to the room, everything was familiar.

The majority of the midwives/nurses were good. As like most hospitals, there is always some militant midwives that will frustrate you but I think in the 5 days I was there, only 1 or 2 grated on me. They are not in your face the whole time, you are given alot of time to bond with your baby but they make sure you know, they are only a buzz away if you need them.

I was pretty happy with NECH & if I had been going to have another child, I wouldn't have hesitated going back. Additionally, they hold an afternoon tea once a month where new parents can get together and chat but also, they usually have someone come in for a presentation of chat. I remember having someone from SA Libraries and Heinz (with free samples). There were more but I can't recall them at the moment.

I hope this helps . I'm happy to try and answer any more questions you have.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hoping4asticky1 For This Useful Post:

vampstorso  (27-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, my experience was in Dec 2010 so things may have changed. I was quite happy with both the hospital and staff. Like the previous poster said though, there are always 1 or 2 midwives you may not like. The majority were great but there were definitely a couple that were not.

From memory I paid only my hospital excess. I was worried I would pay 2 sets of anesthetist fees after an epidural and then an emergency csection but I was never charged for these. I had top cover with an excess with Medibank Private.

I was very grateful to the midwives for taking my baby for several nights of my stay. I was a first time mum and was very tired after a long and difficult birth so I really appreciated this.

all the best

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Adel76 For This Useful Post:

vampstorso  (27-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the feedback ladies

Hopingforastickey1, please excuse this likely incredibly stupid question (I seriously feel so overwhelmed with all the information needed for pregnancy!),
    when you say you had some out of pocket fees for the pead, do you mean a pediatrician for after the birth, or are you referring to the obstetrician who actually preformed the birth? (they may be interchangeable terms, but Im new too this, and easily confused unfortunately!)

I like what you mention about going back to the same room, that would feel nice

Thanks heaps for your information and review, it helps a lot

Adel76,
    Glad too hear you were happy too!
    So you didn't have to pay any extra at all for the anesthetist? that's interesting, as it's the part Im most confused about. I know Ill get a better answer on Monday when I have a chance to go in and ask Bupa, but I can't help but wonder now haha

I have Medium cover,
    it says "
    Find a happy medium with this hospital product that covers eligible in
    -
    patient medical and hospital
    expenses,including pregnancy and childbirth"

and then that I am covered for "operating theatre, intensive care and labour ward fees",

and later goes on about covering the MBS amount of anethetists fees, so I guess I just realized I read it wrong originally. All so confusing!

That sounds fantastic about the midwives giving you a break Probably exactly what you needed!

Thanks again to you both for stopping in and offering your insight, i really appreciate it
    and sorry about my random waffle, Im thinking aloud!
    I'm a bright girl normally but I feel pretty stupid when it comes to this birth planning stuff!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another stupid question as I cant seem to find a straight answer,
    If you go private, do you HAVE to have an OB?
    I am likely too far along to be able to book one, and it just seems unneeded to me if my pregnancy continues normally

Thanks
    Reviews
    Vamp - There is no such thing as a stupid question it is overwhelming as a first timer so ask away .

I meant the pediatrician after the birth. In our case we saw him every day but that was because my daughter had been diagnosed with an enlarged kidney in utero. Fortunately that resolved itself pretty quickly once she was born though.

I'm fairly sure you do need to have an OB to birth at NECH. I believe there isn't an on-call system like there is in public hospitals.

How far along are you?

Good Luck with making your decisions and if you have anymore questions, please ask

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hoping4asticky1 For This Useful Post:

vampstorso  (04-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for your kindness and taking the time to reply hoping4asticky1

Thanks for the information about the pead, I’d honestly not thought about that!

I kept trying to get into my doctor to ask questions but she’s been overseas, she was meant to be back but isn’t. I tried twice before deciding I was just putting it off too late before going to see another lady at the same practice. Omg, she was awful.
    She didn’t give me answers on anything and intact just spent most of my consult on the phone and then belitting me about wanting to go Private! Both strange and inappropriate!

Buna were also a bit broad in answers, but from what I understand now the entire inpatient hospital experience is covered minus the anaesthetist if I have one.

You were right about needing an OB

I called a few OBs that had rights at the hospital who, they were all pretty well full. A few secretaries were a bit mortified I’d even asked and I got a bit of a “hum….most women normally book this at 4 weeks pregnant….we’re full” response from most.
    I was about ready to sit down and have a cry when finally the secretary for Anna Bof (who was full), was very kind and explained so much too me, she was amazing. She also found me a spot with Beth Russ. I haven’t been able to find any reviews on her (ETA, I was just stupid and spelt her name wrong as I was writing Ross, so now I've found reviews!), but I’ll soon meet her anyway.

For anyone reading and wondering, the outpatient costs of the OB are $1900.

They were fantastic really and despite a bit of hesitation because I’m 15 weeks, and they like to see you earlier, they figured it out to fit me in and Im very appreciative of that.
    They’ve made a lot of things clearer in just a 10 minute phone call.

I look forward to meeting them on Wednesday, I feel my mind is a lot more at ease now!
    Last edited by vampstorso; 04-03-2015 at 23:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to hear you got treated so badly by the GP. No matter their personal feelings, they should not try to project them on you

So glad to hear that someone took the time to explain things to you. Was that Gina? I saw Anna Bof for my pregnancy and found all the ladies on the reception were fantastic. I mainly remember Gina & Steph. I didn't end up meeting Beth, normally you would have at least 1 appointment with the other OB in the practice just in case you went into labour on your OB's weekend off but as my pregnancy became complicated at about 25 weeks, Anna decided that she was going to deliver me no matter what.

I always found the reception ladies were great for squeezing you in for appointments if required. As I ended up being there alot, they had to do a lot of squeezing for me due to Anna wanting to see me more often lol. The midwives there are wonderful too.

I know @waitinghoping saw Beth for both her pregnancies and she was very happy. She isn't on BH very often anymore but I've sent her a PM on facebook and hopefully she will be able to give you a heads up (if her little ones give her a chance).

So glad things are finally falling into place for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi vampstorso, congrats on your pregnancy!
    @hoping4asticky1 managed to hunt me down and told me youre looking at NECH and Beth Russ. I had both of my kids there (one in 2009 and 1 in 2013) and I HIGHLY recommend her! Not sure how much u know about her but she works with Dr Anna Bof at their own clinic outside of the hospital. If u choose to go with either of them , you will have most of your appointments with that Dr, but they do fill in regularly for each other (eg holidays etc) plus they always schedule 1 appointment with the other dr so that *just in case* they arent available when you are going to have bubs, you will have met the other dr and are familiar with them.

Dr Russ is lovely. I had issues with DDs birth (long labour, ended in C-section) and she ways so reassuring the whole time, I felt very safe with her. I liked my experience at NECH, but found the midwives to be old fashioned in their practices. When I returned to Dr Russ in 2013 to have DS, I was determined to attempt a VBAC. She was supportive of this right from the beginning, and I was lucky enough to have him as a VBAC, she was at his birth too.

I can say that when I returned to NECH in 2013 I was surprised at the changes at the hospital - for the good!! Yes, its a bit dated in decor but the staffing has updated a lot, and progressed considrably. Dr Russ said they had been working with the midwives to update their knowledge and practices, and some of the older midwives have now retired, so there has been a definite change. I found overall they were more open to responding the mothers wishes and being supportive, rather then pushing doing things "by the book" like they were previously. They were respectful of my birth plan and followed my wishes when it came to birthing and after-birth care of DS.

I highly recommend both NECH and Dr Beth Russ

13. The Following User Says Thank You to waitinghoping For This Useful Post:

hoping4asticky1  (06-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I loved NECH for both our bubs (2012 and last October)! I'm also with BUPA and they were great to deal with and had hardly any stuff to negotiate as the hospital did most!

With DS I needed and epidural, thus an anaesthetist... I think that was about $300 out of pocket (2012). With the paediatrician... You will probably reach the safety net for Medicare so that makes things MUCH cheaper! My out of pocket was about $40 all up for him. I'd give Medicare a call and ask to register for the safety net now so that you don't forget to do it! that also makes all of your appts with the Ob cheaper once you reach it too!

The midwives were definitely different second time around and I found them to all be fabulous and very helpful with breastfeeding, and during labour they were absolute gems! Seriously fabulous! I wrote a birth plan and they were really receptive to it and worked with it! My friends and I refer to NECH as Hotel North Eastern... You get looked after so well! And with the balcony off of my room, lovely meals (I love not cooking) and a snuggly newborn, it was great!