+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Advanced in maths?

Ds#2 (5yrs) just started school this year and his teacher has said today in a meeting that in maths he is at a year 3 level.

Kind of insane! He has additional needs, but numbers obviously make sense to him. He can not explain to us how he knows what he knows, the teacher said in her 30 yrs of teaching she hasnt come across a kindy student who doesnt even need to think about the answer before they say it, doesnt have to use fingers or anything etc.

We've not done any maths at home except counting.. (He can count to 1000+) so my question is, what can i do to help him progress? I dont want him to just sit easy at this level while his peers are learning and would like to do some stuff at home to help him reach his full potential.

Should i just get those maths activity books in higher levels?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    My daughter in in yr one started school last year and loves numbers she knows her 2, 5,7,10 and 11 times tables. To get her to work on extra skills i have bought puzzles, some kids cook books and a few maths computer games like maths rescue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Maths activity books are the way to go for sure. I'm a maths whiz (knew division before year 1!) and my mum would buy them for me and my sisters, especially during the school holidays.

I was really fortunate that from about year 4 my primary school took a small group of us aside each week to do advanced maths classes, which was great.

Also try logic puzzles and lateral thinking activities (think IQ test type questions) as often it's not just about the numbers, and those with a mind for maths will excel and enjoy those.

Interestingly music also uses the same area of the brain.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Problem solving and real world stuff ie get him cooking with you, converting for bigger/smaller groups of people etc.

It will help him learn to articulate his thinking and give him a reason to try other strategies apart from 'just knowing'.

Look up natural maths strategies online as well. They have some example problems on their website and a newsletter and a couple of apps too I think.

Oblena is offline I've done it in public and I'll do it again - I don't care who sees!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Maths activity books usually focus on number only, so develop the range of knowledge. He will need to look at patterns, shapes, size, quantity and definitely worded problem solving. Also look at 3D shapes, weight, volume etc

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Also, there is a huge difference between mathematics and numeracy. If you go to the ACARA website there is, along with the national maths curriculum, the national numeracy continuum. You could look at that to see how you can help him apply his mathematical understanding in a real world context.

Also, can he tell the time? You could get a start on that, because many children find that extremely challenging.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks everyone

He can tell the time if its digital hahaha but he doesnt understand what it means.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Actually today when making a sandwich, i cut the sandwich and he was like "thats one half and thats two halves! i'd like it in 4 quarters please"

So i think he would love cooking with me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_eyes View Post
    Actually today when making a sandwich, i cut the sandwich and he was like "thats one half and thats two halves! i'd like it in 4 quarters please"

So i think he would love cooking with me
    What a little legend he is! My DS1 has always had a fairly developed maths brain and yep definitely the real life problems and skills are a winner - cooking and using measurements and 1/2, 1/4 cups etc... Money is another fun one - counting money, grouping it differently, ie how many different ways can you make a dollar.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    What about mathletics? Does he get a free subscription through school at all? Otherwise might be worth investing in?