+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default WWYD - Neighbours taking our rubbish

We live in a crappy old apartment building and some of the residents a few doors down have a huge collection of stuff outside their door, old furniture and other assorted junk. Anyway, we've been doing a big clean and we threw out a few bags of old clothes and other household items yesterday into the building's shared rubbish bins (in sealed plastic bags), only to find it all now added to their collection.
    It's really creepy! And disgusting! And I'm a bit freaked out that there were some documents and letters in there, nothing highly sensitive but old centrelink and super paperwork.
    But they're not doing legally wrong so we can't really complain to anyone. And these aren't the sort of people you'd want to just approach for a friendly chat.

So… what would you do? We're tempted to go and scoop it all back up again and throw it out again elsewhere but don't want them to see us. Should we sabotage all our future rubbish with extra grossness to discourage them rifling through it?

Extra embarrassing TMI detail - one of the things I threw out was some old "marital aids" I found in a bedroom cupboard that hadn't been used in ages. So creepy strangers would have found those EEWWWWW!!

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Sorry, but I'm trying to imagine their reaction to the 'marital aids'...

In future, I would purchase a shredder and shred any documents you throw out.
    I would certainly sabotage my rubbish bags with grossness.
    I would definitely dispose of larger rubbish elsewhere. Does it cost a lot to take a load to your local tip?

As for what you would do now... I would keep a close eye on them, but basically do nothing. They probably have very little interest in the documentation, but sound like hoarders and you don't want to be adding to or encouraging that little problem!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (26-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    That's mega weird

I would be disturbed, but wouldn't bother trying to redispose of the items. You might end up seeing something that you don't want to (like the occupants through the window having a romp with your discarded marital aids).

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    That's mega weird

I would be disturbed, but wouldn't bother trying to redispose of the items. You might end up seeing something that you don't want to (like the occupants through the window having a romp with your discarded marital aids).

9160c28e643d3db70a5c2636df9fca53e43cee3c71ae0ea8709ad023dee0241c.jpg

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (26-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DEGRASSI!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol thanks guys
    Thankfully DP had the foresight to save the more important papers to throw out at work, where they can be shredded first. I'm trying to reassure myself that they probably don't have the intelligence for any kind of identity fraud, and @Mod-Nomsie is probably right that they're just extra grotty hoarders.
    We live in central Sydney with no car so it doesn't look like we could go straight to the tip.

Hmm wondering what I can feed DS so he produces extra stinky poopy nappies for them to find!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I personally would try and retrieve the documents (even if it means asking them for them back) and in the future shred any personal documents. Aside from that if they want to dumpster dive it would not bother me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    This is one of those threads you just sigh and shake your head at! Not because the op is the problem but because you think you have heard it all then it off nowhere.. BAM! You come across a new set of weirdos.

Is there a strata manager you can complain to? Building manager? Common real estate agent? Or complain to the council. I'm not to sure about it not being illegal. Either way it's gross. Throw your rubbish in another persons bin but don't take theirs out to keep.

But definitely shred any further documents. You could go there and say "hey I saw a bag of rubbish out front that I threw in the bin the other day. Just letting you know that once your done with the "marital aids" we threw out it might be worth having an std check up. We usually go through a couple of them a week so you'll never get bored with our cast offs."

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (26-02-2015),GrabbyCrabby  (26-02-2015),JR03  (26-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Ted View Post
    DEGRASSI!!!
    jokes.jpg

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (26-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you write an anonymous note and put it in everyone's mailboxes? Just say that you saw some people rummaging through the book bins late at night and people should be careful what they toss out to make sure there is no private info?