+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 11 week old never has any content awake time

Hi!
    Hoping someone can point me in the right direction... DS2 is 11 weeks old today. He has been a fairly difficult baby, as he cries a lot and I'm not allowed to put him down. But that's not abnormal for a newborn I know. However what I'm most concerned about is the fact that he is almost 3 months old and he has almost zero content/happy awake time. After he has a sleep and a feed, if I put him on his playmat or in the swing, he just cries hysterically. I have to pick him up and jiggle him around until he's dozy. I could count on one hand the amount of times he's been awake and content looking at me, cooing or smiling. He's literally only smiled a few times. He's never happy to sit on my lap and look around, he just wants to be jiggled with the dummy in his mouth. My friend has a 13 week old who smiles, cooes, looks around and is content after a feed. The GP gave me a script for losec which he has been taking for almost 2 weeks now, which I think has helped slightly for nighttime sleeps (he feeds every 2.5-3 hours but it used to be every hour) but he still is not at all content during the day. He's almost exclusively breastfed (all ebm) with the occasional top up of formula (maybe one bottle every 2nd or 3rd day). I don't know where to go from here.... I keep thinking he's going to get better and start engaging with me and the world but he doesn't. He wants to it seems but he's always bothered by what appears to be pain

Thanks
    Reviews
    hugs op! My DD was like that. What is losec? Is it for wind? My first though is silent reflux.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Losec can take a few weeks to kick in. Do you think he still may be hungry?

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi gingerkat. you will get a lot of suggestions from everyone, so just go with what suits you. there could be something in your diet that upsets bub.?? if bub is sensitive to it even a small amount in your diet will cause problems. some babies just like to be upright after they are fed. so either holding baby or propping up the cot so bubs head is higher than his feet might help. have you tried to offer feeds closer just to make sure there is no empty spaces in his tummy. marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would see a paediatrician & see what they think.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jenga For This Useful Post:

BerryDelicious  (27-02-2015),Gentoo  (04-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel your pain, my DD was much the same. I actually found myself apologising in advance when I went to visit people to warn them that if she was awake she'll probably be cranky. I found taking her to the chiro and giving a dummy was a lifesaver for me. Hope you find something that works for you soon xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just want to say your not alone I have a 7 week old DD and she is exactly the same. I am wearing her at the beach right now jiggling her to keep her happy. Watching my hubby and DS play...I like you are hoping it gets better with time. I've tried cuttings dairy caffeine and Osteo...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi I had the same issue with my 10 week old. I decided to wean him and was mix feeding breast and formula. Once I completed the weaning to straight bottle feeds he became much happier (although still has trouble passing wind from the rear). I believe the mixed feeding was upsetting his stomach and digestive system as the gut tries to digest two different types of enzymes from the natural breast milk and the formula.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    How is he now OP? I found our original losec dosage wasn't strong enough. I have heard 1mg per 1kg. My DD has 1ml twice a day of a 5mg dose.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    You poor thing, it's awful and isolating, I found I avoided going out and I became quite depressed when my Dd was the same due to reflux and colic. You will get a lot of advice... Some of it will work, some won't, i just kept trying things and we turned a vorner around 16-18 weeks. I think they just grow out of it. Do see a paed though. We were on nexium here and it helped after a couple of weeks.
    But here's my list of things I think helped in the end
    Infacol in every bottle (I resisted this for a long time but it made a difference)
    Switched to nan comfort and Bellamy's formula
    Lots of football hold burping and snoozing
    Infants friend in the cot
    A dummy
    I hope it passes soon for you.