+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 1:15 for down syndrome

Hello
    Was hoping to get some advice or insight with anyone who has had similar results or situation with thier combined downs test.

I am 28 and have received a 1:15 chance of my first baby having downs. The high result is due partly to a very low PAPP-A of .26
    My HCG was slighter higher than average ( not sure on exact number) my NT measurement was 1.1mm and have been told by two different sonographers there is a nasal bone present. Today during my scan she also mentioned there was nothing else visually to be concerned about.

I had a the CVS procedure done this morning and no side affects as yet, I now have the horrible wait of waiting up to two weeks for the results. Not at all easy, with no one close familiar with these results I was hoping to find some comfort and positivity here.
    Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ruby28 I had a risk rating of 1:6 after a terrible scan and a NT measurement of 5mm and a moderate-low PAPP-A. I also had a CVS procedure and knew no one who had previously had one nor had I even heard of one before my high risk rating. I received the FISH results the next day and they were clear and then full results two weeks later which were also clear. I went on to have other scans to rule out heart problems due to such a high NT and again were clear.

I've just put my beautiful 9 month old daughter to bed - I went on to have a smooth pregnancy and birth. Good luck and I wish you and bubba all the best - I hope this has helped.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just wanted to say I hope the results give you the answers you need to make the right decision for you. Remember 1:15, whilst not the best result, is still not the worst result either.

For what it's worth I have a friend who came up with a much lower ratio and at age 40, felt she should proceed with the pregnancy. She now has a happy healthy 6 year old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your responses.
    I am trying to be positive, but I can't help think that there is a 'Risk' so I can't rule it out, therefore I'm sadly feeling very disconnected as I'm so stressed and can't think of anything else..

I did ask the doctor about the FISH result but was told that is only available with the Amnio procedure? Hmm I hope this wasn't a mistake, two weeks is a very long time.

I'm glad you had a positive outcome x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi ruby, such a stressful time for you. It really sounds like your Papp-a has thrown your results high as all the other markers sound promising. I was 1:45 with a Papp-a of 0.29 and high Hcg. I now have a perfectly healthy girl who is 14 days old. Hang in there, I'm sure your tests will be clear xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ruby28 I definitely had a CVS - procedure was completed at 14 weeks and I received the FISH results the next day. This was done at the Royal Brisbane Hospital so public and it didn't cost me anything although I have heard of some people paying extra for the FISH results. Could you call your Dr tomorrow to confirm this as this wasn't the case for me. And I'm sure others have received FISH results after a CVS procedure.

I was also very disconnected from the pregnancy right up until after our 20 weeks scan when I was reassured the baby was growing and appeared to be healthy. Trust me you are completely normal in the way you are feeling!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok, I will call tomorrow and double check. I had my CVS at women & children's in Adelaide.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Has anyone else had a similar Papp-a result?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had a CVS and I got the FISH results the next day. I paid extra, but it was 100% worth it to not have to wait. Have you called your doctor to enquire?

I can't recall the numbers, but I had low papp-a. My baby was born strong and healthy, but had to be delivered quite early at 31 weeks. I had other complications unrelated to the low papp-a though, like very high blood pressure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby28 View Post
    Has anyone else had a similar Papp-a result?
    Yes mine was 0.29