+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Solids - preparing, cleaning up etc

Probably a stupid question, but how on earth do you find the time to prepare the food, set up for feeding, clean up the huge mess etc 3 times a day?

Im struggling to find time to prepare food for both of us to eat together once a day, let alone 3 times. Honestly brekkie for me is cereal which i get before dh goes to work & straight after ds has had a breastfeed (he would be screaming if i tried to do solids first then). For lunch i normally have breadrolls in the fridge that i grab & eat when i can & dinner is cooked & eaten after ds goes to bed.

And half the time by the next solid meal the highchair is still dirty from the previous one. I dont know when im meant to have time to clean it.

Hes gone backwards again in terms of sleep so he's pretty cranky by the afternoon, barely tolerates solids, let alone me leaving him in his rocker/playmat while i clean up

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I cook DD's food at night and freeze it in ice cube trays. I usually take lunch and dinner out of the freezer in the morning and put it in the fridge till she needs it heat up.
    If she's still up when we have tea I'll give a strip of steak or a lamb chop bone to chew on depending on we're eating..
    Breakfast is usually farex with apples or pears in it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DizzyDaisy For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (24-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    At the end of each week, whatever veg is left in the fridge gets steamed up, puréed and put into ice cube trays. When frozen I transfer the cubes to a container. I try to have one of veg and one of fruit in the freezer at all times. I'm not always successful. I zap 3 or 4 cubes in the microwave for about 35 seconds and stir. Sometimes I add rice cereal, sometimes I don't. If you don't like using the microwave, when you finish a meal, take out the cubes for the next one and keep in a little container on the bench. Same if you are going out. A few cubes in a container then into your bag. Will be nice and soft by the time you need it. Breakfast is usually half a weetbix with enough milk to make it soft and either purée pear or mash banana.

I usually clean the high chair with those kitchen wipes and often do it with bub on my hip as I am about to put him in. I get distracted straight after meals quote often and forget to clean it till I need it again.

I know that finger food makes you uncomfortable but my DS loves corn fritters because he can suck away at them instead of having to chew. Same goes for avocado or banana on toast cut into soldiers. He smashed some tuna sushi the other night too. When you start on finger foods, put an old sheet on the floor under the high chair and just shake it off outside later and chuck it in the wash. Saves scrubbing the floor three times a day!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CakeyMumma For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks!

When is the best time to give him his breakfast (solids)? He needs a breastfeed first thing in the morning otherwise he is screaming & then i eat breakfast while dh is home otherwise half the time i dont get any. By the time his breastfeed has gone down & i could give him a solid breakfast, i then have to try & find something to make for myself to eat

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a protein shake if I haven't got time.it's quick and better than nothing. as for the highchair - lots wipes/chux cloths.. you can just do a quick wipe and wash it out.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My DD gets up at around 530 so she has bottle and is usually back in bed between 7/730 usually sleeps 1.5-2 hours so I give her breakfast at about 830/9 depending on when sje wakes up. She usually wants her next bottle at about 10/1030.
    Lunch is at about 1/130 and tea about 5/530.

She has bottles at roughly 10,2 and 6. Give or take 30mins

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DizzyDaisy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is the problem that he won't let you put him down so you can't clean up? My youngest is the same age as your ds, teething and is in arms most of the day at the moment. You just have to be quick and learn how to do things one handed. Baby on your hip in one arm, chux cloth in the other. Wipe down high chair, rinse, repeat. Spray, wipe down again. Done. As for breakfast, have you tried soft fruits like pear? I can also chop off a chunk of pear with one hand. Then I plonk her in the high chair with the pear and she is (generally) happy with that while I prepare mine and my toddlers breakfast. She has a bit of toast too once I have made mine. How about overnight oats? You mix everything in a bowl the night before and they're ready to go in the morning. Both my girls love them.

Steam a bunch of vegies at night once he's in bed. Carrot sticks, zucchini sticks, corn on the cob. Then it's ready in the fridge for lunch. Make some pikelets. Get some pre-made falafel. Basically have things ready that you can grab and give to him without any preparation.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    honestly I used to just put bubs down and do what I had to do for 5 mins. even if that meant he howled. I'm only human, what can I do. he was fine.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (24-02-2015),WiseOldOwl  (24-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok thanks everyone! Only in the last two days has he actually started eating, after refusing completely for 2 months, so im still working out what to make etc. And still working on my confidence for finger food after some very big gags, im still pretty freaked out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week

Default Solids - preparing, cleaning up etc

I have food preprepared in ice cube trays too. But mornings our meal is usually some type of cereal with fruit added. Only a few min prep there. Lunch is finger foods. As I prepare each item I put it on his tray for him to eat. I leave the mess to clean later while he naps after lunch. It's not going anywhere but sometimes he is happy playing on the floor so I might duck into the kitchen and clean up. And dinner is usually one of the homemade meals I have frozen which i defrost and warm in microwave. So morning and night is just a quick wipe down and the only major mess is lunchtime. It gets easier I promise. I was doing the same freak out as you when DS started solids and now it's meh, no biggie. You will find your groove.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to HeavenBlue For This Useful Post: