+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Thrush during pregnancy

Just wondered if anyone has any advice. I'm very prone to thrush and have sought medical advice in past but basically have just learnt through trial and error the best treatments for me are to use a pessary and for my partner to take a tablet as normally we end up passing it to each other despite him having no symptoms.

Recently I have used pessaries 3 times in past 6 weeks and my hubby has had a tablet but the thrush has come back again. Went to Dr this morning and was told that thrush is common I pregnancy due to changing hormones and that I just need to use cream the throughout pregnancy even when symptoms resolve. The problem is I've been using double strength cream now for about a week with no effect. It's not as bad this time as usual and I'm holding off using the pessary again but it's driving me crazy! The doctor suggested all the usual things such as cotton underwear, probiotics etc. just wondered whether any of these things have actually helped anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Why not the pessary? I was told that it's fine, if you don't use the applicator - that way you don't put it right up high and possibly affect your cervix. Also, look into the candida diet. If you eat sugar, that feeds th yeast. If you're really struggling with it, cutting out sugar will help x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Feel your pain i went through the same thing. I used coconut oil that helped. But what i did notice is i had to start using goats milk soap for my ezcema and the thrush just went away as soon as i started. Could be a coincidence but worth a try

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice. Yep I'm sure the pessaries are fine as long as you don't use applicator so I'm not too bothered about using them if it gets unbearable I'm just a bit sick of using one, the problem completely resolves but comes back about a week later. I know the problem is usually transfer from my hubby but this time I've got it again even after he's taken treatment so bit frustrated. Will try the goats milk, was hoping the low sugar thing was a myth as I'm a bit of a sweet tooth person but I'll give it a go!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I suffered through constant bouts of thrush in preg too, feel your pain. One thing that helped was getting DP to wear condoms, even after treating him dtd seemed to flare it up so condoms helped iykwim. There is a probiotic called Candex which really helped too.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Adoralicious For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (24-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to jump on board...I'm 35 weeks pregnant & have had problems with thrush this whole pregnancy. I've been using the Canasten cream. I've inserted it internally with the applicator (not too far) & have also been using it externally but it keeps coming back. I just spoke to a midwife who said to use the Canasten suppository...I'm confused is that the tablet that is inserted internally? Also what's a good probiotic to take? Is it best in drink form or tablet form? I've never had thrush before this pregnancy & it's horrible😢 Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've never had thrush before but my sister had it almost the whole way through all 3 of her pregnancies, and she has said that one of the only things that helped was washing her undies in lux flakes rather than normal detergent. Hope that helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @elly81 it really sucks doesn't it! Like you I've been trying to keep things under control with just the cream and have found that the only way it works is to use it internally usually by just using a small 1ml syringe and I find that sorts it out for a few days. If I just use the cream externally it doesn't improve. I've read in numerous places that using the pessary is fine as long as you don't use tr applicator for risk of inserting too far and causing damage. So I don't think there's anything wrong with the ingredients it's just about not causing damage on insertion. I've used the pessaries 3 times already during pregnancy so I don't think there's anything wrong with them I just don't want to keep using them continuously.

I think the key for me is just breaking the cycle even though it usually comes back it gives me some relief for a while. I've been taking probiotics that I bought at a pharmacy, don't know if they are working or not but happy to give it a try.

Good luck, hope things improve for you soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @elly81. I've just been to the dr for an antenatal check up and asked if they had my vag swab results from when I went about the thrush. It confirmed that there was heavy growth of candida (no surprise!) but this Dr said that just using the cream will do nothing and you have to use pessaries to get rid of infection. She recommended a 6 day course if I've already tried some one off pessaries and she also printed off info from the mother safe website which is really useful so have a look. It gives all treatment options and I've decided to give the 6 day clotrimazole 100mg pessaries a go which you can buy from pharmacy.

Hope that helps reduce your anxiety about pessaries during pregnancy. Check out the website and ask your Dr what they think. X

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

elly81  (24-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much😊 I see my midwife on Friday so I will ask her about treatment then. In the meantime I've started taking probiotics & drinking cranberry juice. I hope things improve for you😊